Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Hey Snake, the stock CSV mags are in the T-bucket that used to be Little T. Big rears and trailer used the fronts. 

I bought a GB that had 2 nerfs, and a nice built in Dark Blue that had 2 nerfs. They're flat, I planned to trace and make a pair. Keeping the blue as is. GB in a 65 Vette box awaiting distant project. 

Scott, that limo needs pimping out, lowrider, or DONK. 

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

How do you like the Jeepster kit? I've been kinda lusting after one, but haven't looked into it much yet.

It's a very nice kit,the contents and the decals are in mint shape!,if can find one defineately buy it!!.

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That Red Flag limo was one of the first Trumpeter kits I ever saw.  Yours appears to be in a different company's box. Or Trumpeter using a different name,  not unusual for China.  Many of the earliest Trumpeter armor kits were also sold under different company labels.  

As you will see, the limo is a weird mix of neat details (real red cloth carpet) and toy-like clunkiness.  In the one I had, the "Red Flag" emblems on the front fenders were pre-painted. A nice touch, but would have needed careful masking if you wanted to paint the body.  I finally decided I'd never build it, and sold it on eBay.

If you like that one, there's also another version of the kit.  It has an open rear sunroof with microphones.  So that Dear Leader can rant at the adoring masses, I guess.    

From what I'm seeing, I agree with everything you say. The one difference with mine is the lack of pre-painted Red-Flag emblems on the front fenders. Mine also has light lines in the roof for cutting out the roof, and three little bumps for mounting microphones. I'll be needing to sand these features away before painting mine. They're very light. So it should not take a lot of sanding. 

6 hours ago, keyser said:

Scott, that limo needs pimping out, lowrider, or DONK. 

Sorry to disappoint you, but I plan on building mine as close to stock as possible. I love the idea that in the world of Communism, where everybody is suppose to be equal. Some people in both Communist China and the former USSR were "more" equal than others, requiring the need for domestically built limousines. 

34 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I plan on building mine as close to stock as possible. I love the idea that in the world of Communism, where everybody is suppose to be equal. Some people in both Communist China and the former USSR were "more" equal than others, requiring the need for , domestically built limousines. 

FAW Red Flag L5 , left photo. They sell 500 a year or so. The H7 is due soon. R photo 

There are always "more equal" everywhere, pimpin' hard for those that cannot :) 

Kim Jong-il eschewed thes for new Maybach Guards, smuggled from Germany due to export embargo. 

The wonderful Benz 600 Pullman was the choice of more despots than any other car in history. And the Pope, so there's that. 

President Xi Jinping of China greeting the crowd from his Red Flag limousine.The H7 is expected to go into production in the spring of next year.

11 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I have one of these in the Trumpeter box. I've never opened it to see what's in there.

It looks better than the box art indicates. Some inaccuracies. But, not really all that bad. I'll have to take some photos and post them here in the next few days. Maybe do a review? 

36 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

The original red flag limo was a 55ish chrysler 300 to begin with, but they had to do away with a lot of the chrome so it wasn't so capitalist looking.

The model kit represents the original Red Flag introduced in 1958. It looks nothing like a '55 Chrysler to me. Windsor, New Yorker, or 300. 

Edited by unclescott58

20 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

The model kit represents the original Red Flag introduced in 1958. It looks nothing like a '55 Chrysler to me. Windsor, New Yorker, or 300. 

Its true, chrysler sold the tooling to china, and china made it look more austere to suit them at the time. There was an article on the hemmings site a few years ago about it.

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

According to Wikipedia, the first ones were based on the Chrysler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongqi_(marque)

I really don't see it, myself.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Its true, chrysler sold the tooling to china, and china made it look more austere to suit them at the time. There was an article on the hemmings site a few years ago about it.

Oh no. Using the dreaded Wikipedia as your main source? Very few educators will accept papers where Wikipedia was used as a source. Hemmings is normally a better source. 

I just finished reading Russian Motor Vehicles, Soviet Limousines 1939-2003, by Maurice R. Kelly. In this book, he has a whole chapter on Chinese Limousines. Reading that book and looking at the photographs of the cars, there is no way those first cars were based off of '55 Chryslers. The information I found in Kelly's book states that the Changchun plant that build the car was built with help of the Soviets. The deputy director and chief engineer of the Changchun works was a man named Meng Shao-Nung. Meng had worked and trained in the United States as an automotive engineer. The Hong QI CA-72, the first Red Flag limousine was designed by a team lead by another man, Cheng Zheng. 

Another problem with the theory of the car being built from old Chrysler tooling, is we that had no trade with mainland China from the time Mao Tse-Tong  and Communists took over, until the thawing of relationships in the 1970's. 

Please, be careful of going by information especially found on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is notorious for allowing content, editing from anybody. Not all content on Wikipedia is professionally written or edited. Now Maurice Kelly could be wrong on some his information too. Looking at the three sources noted, Kelly's vs. Wikipedia vs. Hemmings. I'm sticking with Maurice Kelly. 

Now to clear up a mistake I made. It turns out the Red Flag model I got, does not represent the first car that came out in 1958. The model represents the "Second Series" CA-770, which first appeared in 1965. Early 2nd Series cars had round fog lights. The model comes with the later square ones. 

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

from chinaabout.net

The Red Flag Limousine

In 1958, the China First Auto Works(FAW) borrowed a 1955 Chrysler limousine from the Jilin University of Technology as a reference based on which the FAW combined the characteristics of the nation and built out the first a “red flag” limousine within just a month’s time.Since the 1960s, the red flag car became the concierge car, known as China’s first car.

In 1973, the U.S. President Richard Nixon led a delegation of 500 people visiting China, the request of the delegation to bring their own cars was rejected by Premier Zhou Enlai that: “We have the best car in the world, you can be rest assured.” When Nixon and his team walked out of the aircraft, they were all welcomed by the full stretch red flag cars. Also the President of the United States was thrilled when the Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai offerred the No. 6 Red Flag limousine which was for the Zhou’s exclusive use for his using during the whole visit. It was believed that during the 1960s and 1970s, the three highest diplomatic courtesy received by the foreign guests were: Seeing Chairman Mao Zedong, Staying in the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse, Sitting at the red flag car.

If you put a 56 crown imperial bumpers on and swap the grille it looks closer. It may have been based on russian underpinnings but the design was chrysler, just a bit squared off. Even the door positions are the same but with much deeper sides to hide the raised floors to make the leaders appear taller and more glass area to be sure they could be seen by the public. Heres a 55 chrysler limo to compare and if you take the length and width dimensions they are the same. If you compare the chassis in your kit to a 50s chrysler you may get a surprise. Sure theres a lot less chrome but that was a capitalist thing remember and a communist couldn't be seen in something like that if he wanted to live a long life/survive the purges of intelectuals

CAR-87-1955-Chrysler-Crown-Imperial-Limo-5.jpg

im1955limo7601.jpg

I'm still not buying that the Hong QI CA-72 is a '55 Chrysler or Imperial. Does it looks similar? Yes. But, not exactly the same. It's like Soviet ZIS-110s and ZIL-111s. They look a lot like cars Packard built, until you put then side by side. The Soviets looked at buying dies for the pre-war Packard 180 from Briggs Body Corp of Detroit, Michigan, the body supplier to Packard, in 1942. They decided the car would need to be reengineered  to meet the climatic and terrain conditions of the USSR. But, since Marshal Josef Stalin like and rode around in Packards, rather than the Buick looking ZIS-101, guess what the ZIS-111 looked like? 

Now I'm  not denying that the Hong QI CA-72 looks a lot like and may have been inspired by the '55 Chryslers and Imperials, with the relationship the United States had with China at the time, I do believe they were built using Chrysler tooling or dies. Look at the photos below, and compare them to the Imperial above. They are not the same. 

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

17 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

I didn't get anything today. Anybody else GET anything today?

Later-

Just this week's HL coupon in the Sunday paper for next week's use. But I think I'm gonna give up on HL for the SN Impala and just order one online someplace. :unsure:

(I know you were just trying to change the subject here, and I appreciate that. B):lol: )

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

(I know you were just trying to change the subject here, and I appreciate that. B):lol: )

That's why you'll notice that I edited my "snide comment". Hopefully nobody saw it. I try not to cause contention around here.

Later-

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...