Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Never manage to make it out of Michael’s with my wallet intact - but didn’t go crazy today. Our local one has had a restock of the kit aisle, but nothing new or interesting. 

Picked up a few useful little bits tho - Washi tape was three for a buck so I picked up some of those for masking, some of their cheapo felt sheet (which looks like it could maybe make a decent scale carpet maybe), a little organizer box for a buck and a wooden sign blank for a shop sign to hang somewhere around my work area:

14D1FA7B-0EC3-448C-B8DA-B1F8EFC355E7.thumb.jpeg.a085f741caa48857aea73ac434b39fb2.jpeg

Oh, and that colorshift paint caught my eye - looks like it flips from red to pink to purple with a little blue in between so I’m sure I’ll find something fun to paint with that

Edited by CabDriver

Open, but complete....hopefully the hood decal works!  Cost about same as a new kit

The fun was laying out the parts and showing my 13yr old son THIS is a Jeep.  The four door that I rented a couple year ago was very nice, but this is what the Jeep was meant to be.  No back up camera, no CD player, no cruise control.......

MPC Jeep Night Hawk.jpg

14 hours ago, Rodent said:

I see that Chris (hpiguy) uses this a lot. How does it work compared to Tamiya, other than the much smaller hole it leaves in your wallet?

This stuff isn’t a good as Tamiya tape - it’s a little less tacky so it won’t make for a nice crisp edge as well.  BUT, you can mask a nice edge with the Tamiya tape and use this stuff for some of the less-critical areas where you just need to cover a larger area and don’t want to waste a bunch of the more expensive tape.

I read on here once that this tape is made by the same company as the people who make Tamiya’s tape:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JD5SCM7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xPVdFbFVJT2C0

I picked some up, and it really does work just as well as Tamiya’s stuff!  Just the right amount of tacky, makes a nice edge - works perfect!

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Nice piece! The individual boxes would be good for pouring small rubber part molds.

Ohhh, GREAT idea - I’m always looking for boxes and packaging to make molds with!  Good thinking!!!

Flea Market Day!  Pretty slim pickings for model cars.  The usual clutter of overpriced NASCAR kits and diecasts, offered by wishful sellers.

I did pick up an old AMT-ERTL '32 Ford Vicky cheap, with all the parts bags still sealed.  Its chassis and Flathead engine are useful for updating original AMT '32 Fords, or back-dating the chassis of the Revell Deuce kits.  

And when I say "old..."  The kit box also had a small bottle of Testors Thinner, on the original bubble card from Toys R Us.  The price was 69 cents.

Also stuffed into that box:  a big old square bottle of Testors Liquid Cement (fortunately it didn't leak); small square bottles of Flat Black and Gloss Gray Testors paint.  And a big pack of 24 cheap paint brushes.  I can use those as disposables, for weathering and such.

BUYER BEWARE:  this Vicky is AMT-ERTL kit #6573. In most issues of this kit, including the original and the latest "Lil Viky" re-issue, the alleged 427 Ford engine has 6 2-barrel carbs with chrome velocity stacks and ball plugs for the stacks.  This kit #6573 does NOT.  It has a single 4-barrel carb and a round, non-chrome air cleaner. The chrome tree has a lot of open space in it,  where the original parts were.  So at some point AMT-ERTL de-contented the kit, and Round 2 re-contented it for the re-issue.  Something to be aware of, if you see kit #6573 sealed at a swap meet or flea market.        

32_vicky.jpg

C9CF204D-2117-40DF-82B3-B76EF8DC488F.thumb.jpeg.7ccaa414d7c875f832b659b980baa7ee.jpeg

Yea! First new kits in a long time!

While I do have the new Revell kit, I always wanted the old Monogram Land Rover. I had posted that they were all up over $100, then I checked eBay and found several above a Benjamin, but snagged this one for $50.  So now that I have this, Revell should be announcing the reissue this week.. and you all can thank me! ?

My local Hobby Lobby finally got the 67 Chevy so I grabbed one with the magic 40% off coupon.  

this was delivered today - a vintage built up of the Jo-Han Maverick in Dyno Don livery.  The paint is thin and the chrome is shot, but I had to have it.  I'm going to try my hand at the "Snake-Fu" and put it on the shelf with the build-up of the kit I haven't started yet.  

IMG_7002[1].JPG

IMG_7001[1].JPG

IMG_6999[1].JPG

21 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

this was delivered today - a vintage built up of the Jo-Han Maverick in Dyno Don livery.  The paint is thin and the chrome is shot, but I had to have it.  I'm going to try my hand at the "Snake-Fu" and put it on the shelf with the build-up of the kit I haven't started yet.  

IMG_7002[1].JPG

IMG_7001[1].JPG

IMG_6999[1].JPG

VERY cool! You might be interested to know that I probably started my "survivor resto" phase back in 2016 with a JoHan Maverick, specifically, this one, before & after the Snake-Fu. I hope you get as much pleasure and pride from yours as I got from mine. B)

70MaverickPro01.jpg.d8ed9f3ba1887e2fc0a8dcf65e726e8f.jpg

70MaverickPro08.jpg.10d358e2b15e09a577ad4872bd33b0c6.jpg

Edited by Snake45

6 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

IMG_7002[1].JPG

IMG_7001[1].JPG

IMG_6999[1].JPG

Real nice find...

Wasn't really looking for one, but just in checking what they were going for now, ran into an exceptionally good "Buy-It-Now" price on an MPC '71 Road Runner that had just been listed, bad box but otherwise new and complete and unbuilt. So I did, before someone else did. B)

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Wasn't really looking for one, but just in checking what they were going for now, ran into an exceptionally good "Buy-It-Now" price on an MPC '71 Road Runner that had just been listed, bad box but otherwise new and complete and unbuilt. So I did, before someone else did. B)

That's always fun.  Back in Feb. I found a '62 Tempest built-up at a swap meet, missing the rear valance panel.  That's pretty common and those valance panels are hard to find and often costly.  But a member here pointed me to a eBay sale of a '62 Tempest parts lot:  the valance panel, bumper,  a mint grille (mine is glue-bombed) and other random parts.  For $7.49 "Buy It Now."  I jumped all over that!

I "wasn't really looking" last night, but found a great Off-Topic airplane deal:  the old Monogram Pro Modeler P-39Q kit, still shrink-wrapped for $9.99.  That Pro Modeler kit has photo-etch parts, ground crew figures and the underwing gun packs for the "Q" version.  The basic Monogram P-39 kit, from the 1960's, still stacks up pretty well against the much later kits from Eduard and Hasegawa.

Got a little built-up Pyro/Lindberg Triumph GT6 to do a flat-red-and-primer car I owned long ago. I ran that car on straight ethanol during an experimental pilot program at Ga. Tech, back in the early 1980s. Man, that exhaust smelled good. Hard to start in cold weather, but otherwise just fine after some magic tuning. If I recall correctly, she'd run on anything higher than about 140 proof.

Not a bad build, and the shape of the Pyro kit is pretty OK overall, though there are a few huge cringe-making flaws that need to be corrected for the model to give an acceptable first impression...like the windshield opening.

s-l300.jpg

Also snagged a ratty built up pair of old Tom Daniel Monogram kits to hack up, a Pie Wagon and an Ice T

s-l300.jpg      MONO-6757-2T.jpg

32 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I "wasn't really looking" last night, but found a great Off-Topic airplane deal:  the old Monogram Pro Modeler P-39Q kit, still shrink-wrapped for $9.99.  That Pro Modeler kit has photo-etch parts, ground crew figures and the underwing gun packs for the "Q" version.  The basic Monogram P-39 kit, from the 1960's, still stacks up pretty well against the much later kits from Eduard and Hasegawa.

You did great! That Mono P-39 was one of Monogram's first, if not THE first, of their "serious" model airplanes, and you're right, it still holds up today. I've never built one, but I believe I have two or three copies in the Snakepile. I want to do one in Russian markings, just because that's where they did their best work. 

Only P-39 I've built is the 1/72 Heller. Did it in NMF with a 4-blade prop to match a pic I found of one that way being flown by the Navy, for some forgotten reason. That's a pretty nice little kit too. 

59 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Got a little built-up Pyro/Lindberg Triumph GT6 to do a flat-red-and-primer car I owned long ago. I ran that car on straight ethanol during an experimental pilot program at Ga. Tech, back in the early 1980s. Man, that exhaust smelled good. Hard to start in cold weather, but otherwise just fine after some magic tuning. If I recall correctly, she'd run on anything higher than about 140 proof.

Not a bad build, and the shape of the Pyro kit is pretty OK overall, though there are a few huge cringe-making flaws that need to be corrected for the model to give an acceptable first impression...like the windshield opening.

s-l300.jpg

This kit has given me a headache more than once. I started to correct the windshield because as you say it is very wrong and if I remember correctly the side windows are wrong too. On the box art I have this has been corrected and I didn't know how bad it was until I had already bought it. Overall I think this kit was created for people with too much happiness in their lives because every time I work on it I want to take a hammer and smash it. In the end I just put it back in the box and try to forget I have it for a year or so then I try to work on it again. This is a shame because I really like the GT6 and want to have the finished model with all the corrections on my shelf. Hopefully before the day I die.

I hope you create a build thread when you start working on it.

Edited by dbostream

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...