Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Don't ask me why, but I finally sprung for a reasonably priced Gunze 250 GTO with the engine. There are 3 versions of this kit, one purely curbside with a molded shut hood, (but with PE wheels and cast metal chassis and bits), another version with an opening hood but no engine (and all the parts rendered in plastic), and the full-detail kit, again with PE wire wheels, various detail parts, cast metal chassis and underpinnings, and a cast metal engine with separate spun metal velocity stacks, etc.

The two engine-free kits I've already started as American V8-powered hot rods, but this one I think I'm going to do as it's intended.

I haven't built a challenging multi-media kit since my last HO scale locomotive decades ago, and this thing looks like the build will be a gas.

Boxart Ferrari 250 GTO G-513:5000 Gunze Sangyo

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Managed to win another 63 Pontiac Tempest convertible off of eBay last night. This one has the stock taillights and the convertible boot that I needed for the other. Plus, the body looks to be fresh with no glue gobs.

Later-

Nice Tom.

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Bought this a few days ago. Couldn't find one in the UK so bought it from Germany. Can't wait to get started on it. I plan on doing the custom version, I really like the front design on this.

Pontiac.jpg

I too like the box art version of the above kit. I have the above kit myself. But, I plan on building mine stock. I don't think I've ever seen anyone build the custom version as shown above? I hope you post pictures of yours when it's done. 

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Don't ask me why, but I finally sprung for a reasonably priced Gunze 250 GTO with the engine. There are 3 versions of this kit, one purely curbside with a molded shut hood, (but with PE wheels and cast metal chassis and bits), another version with an opening hood but no engine (and all the parts rendered in plastic), and the full-detail kit, again with PE wire wheels, various detail parts, cast metal chassis and underpinnings, and a cast metal engine with separate spun metal velocity stacks, etc.

The two engine-free kits I've already started as American V8-powered hot rods, but this one I think I'm going to do as it's intended.

I haven't built a challenging multi-media kit since my last HO scale locomotive decades ago, and this thing looks like the build will be a gas.

Boxart Ferrari 250 GTO G-513:5000 Gunze Sangyo

Looks great Bill !

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Don't ask me why, but I finally sprung for a reasonably priced Gunze 250 GTO with the engine.

There's no need to ask why! Like there's no need to ask why these cars are worth many millions...

Beautiful.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Looks great Bill !

15 minutes ago, DonW said:

...Beautiful.

I agree about it being a beautiful kit.

I've managed to get all the 250GTO kits that are out there for anything like reasonable money, and other than the odd rear wheel openings, I like Gunze's rendition of this particular car the best...even though it seems a little inaccurate shape-wise (to me).

Most of the real 250 GTO bodies     Thrustmaster – The Ferrari 250 GTO Rim is Here - Inside ...

have always looked just a tad squashed immediately forward of the windshield to me, and Gunze's rendition appears just a bit less so (to me).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Got to visit the local Hobby Lobby today, now that I’m local to a Hobby Lobby - good selection of kits!

11D9C61E-066E-4250-9996-8483A655A797.thumb.jpeg.8b2a7fcfd9fb8c5e03619ece85e91f10.jpeg
11EE10F5-FA92-4D96-AEE0-45B9FD8733BF.thumb.jpeg.16c5df1348ce75ce93c7288077e558c5.jpeg

1034BDEC-0B95-40BD-AACD-260C7780B3A5.thumb.jpeg.affc0ec02562a66f8f8a256ba09a87d1.jpeg

Picked up another Revell ‘29 to play with...really enjoyed building the last couple of these that I’ve done!  $18 or so with their voucher ??

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Got to visit the local Hobby Lobby today, now that I’m local to a Hobby Lobby - good selection of kits!

11D9C61E-066E-4250-9996-8483A655A797.thumb.jpeg.8b2a7fcfd9fb8c5e03619ece85e91f10.jpeg
11EE10F5-FA92-4D96-AEE0-45B9FD8733BF.thumb.jpeg.16c5df1348ce75ce93c7288077e558c5.jpeg

1034BDEC-0B95-40BD-AACD-260C7780B3A5.thumb.jpeg.affc0ec02562a66f8f8a256ba09a87d1.jpeg

Picked up another Revell ‘29 to play with...really enjoyed building the last couple of these that I’ve done!  $18 or so with their voucher ??

Jim, your in Valparaiso, my brother lived ther. I was over there several times. They once had a great hobby shop called Valpo pet and hobby but I believed it shut years ago...

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Jim, your in Valparaiso, my brother lived ther. I was over there several times. They once had a great hobby shop called Valpo pet and hobby but I believed it shut years ago...

I just looked it up and it has been closed a few years - but there’s an R/C type shop that isn’t too far away that I’d like to check out next!  

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I agree about it being a beautiful kit.

I've managed to get all the 250GTO kits that are out there for anything like reasonable money, and other than the odd rear wheel openings, I like Gunze's rendition of this particular car the best...even though it seems a little inaccurate shape-wise (to me).

Most of the real 250 GTO bodies  have always looked just a tad squashed immediately forward of the windshield to me, and Gunze's rendition appears just a bit less so (to me).

Beautiful kit of a beautiful car, although I agree they did look a 'tad squashed'. Fabulous to drive, too, by all accounts. I'll never get the opportunity!

3 hours ago, DonW said:

Beautiful kit of a beautiful car, although I agree they did look a 'tad squashed'. Fabulous to drive, too, by all accounts. I'll never get the opportunity!

Don't be such a pessimist.  $35 million or so and you can have one to call your very own.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...