Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Those are made by "Zero Designs" part of the "family of companies" that Steve Hemming owns along with Zero Paints and Hiroboy in the U.K.. There might be other sources for them if he's selling them through other vendors, but Hiroboy is the most direct way.

Well, thanks Curtis for the original post and thank you James for pointing me the right direction. Building my pre-window mask Tamiya kits just got a whole lot easier.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:23 PM, Rodent said:

I have these. My spouse asked if I wanted to become a part time dentist. No.

They work very nicely. My advice is that if you drop one, let it fall to the floor. I grabbed for one that I dropped and did a great job of puncturing my thumb trying to catch it. 

Thanks for the heads up about dropping them. I hope I remember. LOL.

Got another one of these yesterday. But I was worried it would be damaged because of the box they used to ship it. No support to keep the bottom from falling in. The model box was crinkled a bit but . Luckily the kit was undamaged. 

AMT1200_64OldsConvertible_PKG-front_1800x1800.jpg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Local toy show day. My favorite vendor didn't have any glue bombs, but did have a number of opened "pot luck" kits for $5 each. You had to look in the boxes to make sure you had enough to build something. I got a Monogram '57 Chevy (all I wanted it for was the 200-S "Daisy" mags, and they're there), Deora (seems to be complete), '68 Road Runner (missing only tires, apparently), and '33 Willys panel truck (there's an extra coupe body in the box, too, and seems to be at least two sets of tires). Easy $20 worth of fun there! B)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Well, thanks Curtis for the original post and thank you James for pointing me the right direction. Building my pre-window mask Tamiya kits just got a whole lot easier.

ZoomOn Models out of Hong Kong also offers over 130 different mask sets, so chances are between HiroBoy and there you can find masks for pretty much all older Tamiya kits and a fair amount of unmasked Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa, etc

https://www.zoomonmodel.com/window-masks

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

I'd be very interested in the results of using that mica powder.

I'm going to shoot some tonight so I'll post pics if it works how I hope (and there's no real reason why it shouldn't, I don't think)...I'm wondering if the flake will be larger and more visible than the Pearl Ex that I usually like, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them!

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I just mix them into Future and spray THAT over whatever base color I laid down, but I'm sure the House of Kolor stuff would work fine too, yeah!

I'm definitely interested in seeing the before and after using these, especially with Future/Pledge.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:32 AM, stitchdup said:

My 2 vw t2s arrived yesterday, and today I got a 3d printed resin baja bug body and wheels and a mpc lamborghini miura to turn into a vw based sports car. After looking at the body of the lamborghini it seems the wheelbase isn't too far off where I need it to be. This is the build I need the gt40 front end for

Always looking for a good Baja bug (and wheels) where did you find yours?

37 minutes ago, FredRPG said:

Always looking for a good Baja bug (and wheels) where did you find yours?

I got it from a seller in france, on ebay. Its to fit the tamiya beetle kits. If you remind me in a couple of days i can get some pics for you. It has the lights in the body centre rather than the fenders and 4 off road tyres on trailer style steels

15 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Got this 6 cyl. Distributor . It took 5 weeks to get it after ordering it . So long I gave up on it and made one for the 60 Chevy pu I had ordered it for . Now I guess I have to find a model I like with a 6 cyl. Engine . 

AA46661B-BA3A-4DD8-84FC-10F967A22CE9.jpeg

Is that a Hellcat? Not familiar enough with SA products to tell. 

On 6/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, Snake45 said:

Local toy show day. My favorite vendor didn't have any glue bombs, but did have a number of opened "pot luck" kits for $5 each. You had to look in the boxes to make sure you had enough to build something. I got a Monogram '57 Chevy (all I wanted it for was the 200-S "Daisy" mags, and they're there), Deora (seems to be complete), '68 Road Runner (missing only tires, apparently), and '33 Willys panel truck (there's an extra coupe body in the box, too, and seems to be at least two sets of tires). Easy $20 worth of fun there! B)

Got to sneak these into the house and give them a good look today. The '57 Chev seems to be started (interior painted, etc) but complete. I swiped the Daisy mags and tires out of it and I'm gonna give it back to the vendor next month and he can sell what's left to someone else--probably for the same $5. (He's been VERY good to me on prices on things over the years, don't mind doing him a favor.) The Road Runner is missing only tires. Started (engine and interior assembled and painted) but otherwise complete--would make a fun, quick Day 2 or street beater project, especially in primer. Deora seems to be complete and unmolested, all sprues still in the bags. The Willys panel van is a real mystery grab bag. Not only is there an extra coupe body, but an extra front end, the coupe trunk lid, and a second chassis and interior tub. Only one set of chrome sprues though, so only one set of suspension parts and so only one complete builder from the box. The entire SOHC engine is gone, but there are two mystery V8s here (assembled). And three (?) nice Goodyear vinyl slicks. And--most curiously--FIVE Goodyear "Suburbanite" off-road or snow tires (I've never seen these before). Looks like somebody had a couple interesting projects in mind when he lost interest. :unsure:

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Got this 6 cyl. Distributor . It took 5 weeks to get it after ordering it . So long I gave up on it and made one for the 60 Chevy pu I had ordered it for . Now I guess I have to find a model I like with a 6 cyl. Engine . 

I ordered from them before too after hearing good things - took about the same amount of time and they didn't have half of the stuff I ordered.  Distributors looked nice enough, but not worth the wait versus just making my own...

57 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

And--most curiously--FIVE Goodyear "Suburbanite" off-road or snow tires (I've never seen these before). Looks like somebody had a couple interesting projects in mind when he lost interest. :unsure:

Those Surburbanites came in the original MPC issues of the Jeepster Commando (with the Shell service station truck on the box).  On the box side they're called "Snow Tires."  They must have been in other kits too.  I've hoarded a bag full of them over the years.

The '71 Jeepster kit also advertised "Snow Tires" on the box, but the tires in my kit don't have any sidewall markings.  Don't know if Goodyear squawked or what.  The '71 kit was decontented in other ways too.  It doesn't have the "long" interior side panels, only the short ones.  The Commando kit has both. 

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Those Surburbanites came in the original MPC issues of the Jeepster Commando (with the Shell service station truck on the box).

And a bunch of other kits!  Snow tires on Pacers and other cars of that era. Last issue of Hogan’s Jeep had five of them. 

Back in the day before there were a lot of choices, I’d seek them out for my light commercial projects. In the 1990s you couldn’t give away Pacer and Volare kits. I was buying them cheap just for those tires. At a show one time I bought 5 Pacer kits for $15. A dealer friend of mine was making fun of me!    A while later someone fr the 1:1 scale Pacer club contacted him for models.. and he came begging!  

06534A0C-4A4B-46C0-995F-11F1CA749389.jpeg.34645ad35e3f8bd77869e49e5a2045f0.jpeg

Here’s four of them on the red junker.

Edited by Tom Geiger

43 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Last issue of Hogan’s Jeep had five of them. 

Well that explains the five, then, but why they're in the Willys box I'm having trouble imagining. I have one of those Hogan Jeeps, but have never opened it. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...