Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

21 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice find!  I hadn’t seen that one before...is it based on a real 1:1?

I’ve been adding to my weathering arsenal lately - I’d used my wife’s watercolor pencils so much that she was irritated at me always having them put away somewhere where she couldn’t find them (she’s a full-time artist, so I guess she needs her art stuff sometimes).  Found a set of 72 (crucially with 10-15 brown and rust colors) for under $20, and also picked up some crackle paint that I’d seen used to GREAT effect in this old post:

Excited to do another old and crusty build now!

E37AB706-20B3-4422-989C-72D8EC4477BD.thumb.jpeg.641a1f391f3b5ea5aaf0ae218eb0b1a7.jpeg

Hi Jim!

The actual car was a one-off Coddington project, all handbuilt. Made the rounds of rod mags back then. If I'm correct, it belonged to a gentleman from NY, a frequent client at Boyd's...

CT 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Jim!

The actual car was a one-off Coddington project, all handbuilt. Made the rounds of rod mags back then. If I'm correct, it belonged to a gentleman from NY, a frequent client at Boyd's...

CT 

Hey Claude!

Ahhh!  That’s why I recognized it!  I couldn’t put my finger on where I’d seen that design before.  Way cool!  Wish I’d got it myself!

Thanks for jogging my memory!

Edited by CabDriver

My 2 vw t2s arrived yesterday, and today I got a 3d printed resin baja bug body and wheels and a mpc lamborghini miura to turn into a vw based sports car. After looking at the body of the lamborghini it seems the wheelbase isn't too far off where I need it to be. This is the build I need the gt40 front end for

Edited by stitchdup

The fe-mail carrier just dropped off 2 of the Italeri #3630 Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruisers.  I had no luck finding this kit thru a U.S. company, so I ordered from Jumblies in the UK.  They had the best price I could find, U.S. $22.46. 

Unfortunately, airmail shipping ran that WAY up, but we're all hostages to shipping these days.  I ordered on 5/15 and received the kits today, 5/28. So less than 2 weeks from the UK, again not bad with the current worldwide shipping problems.

The kit looks like the ESCI original:  blue plastic body, black chassis/interior parts and the 2 tops are molded in white.  ESCI never put both tops in one box, so that's a nice bonus.  Maybe I can partly recover the cost by selling an ESCI "Filipino Taxi" on eBay...

bj-44_ital.jpg

This arrived today. came sealed, but i tore it open right away. i think im going to keep it as a police car, maybe a sheriff. i dont know what decals i have, i doubt the ones it came with will work

I am excited 

16222243735088360714418819061642.jpg

Edited by youpey

2 hours ago, youpey said:

This arrived today. came sealed, but i tore it open right away. i think im going to keep it as a police car, maybe a sheriff. i dont know what decals i have, i doubt the ones it came with will work

I am excited 

That will be a good build, looking forward to when you start building it.

The postman came today. The Jinx Express (ex Fast Buck) and The Trojan Horse; both I've done when I was in my early teens. The Jinx Express is for my sister as a surprise since she used to do model kits when we were kids. The Great Street Machines '67 Charger is a kit I've been wanting for a looong time. The other from that series I'm still hunting for on eBay is The Streaker Vette. I loved that kit back then. Just haven't found one at a fair price I'm comfortable with.

DSCN2151.JPG

On 5/26/2021 at 8:44 PM, CabDriver said:

Nice find!  I hadn’t seen that one before...is it based on a real 1:1?

[...]

Yes, I have the Auto Week issue that it was featured on the cover.  Think it's one of his last.  I will bet there was a licensing issue with his estate that killed this kit.

20 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Yes, I have the Auto Week issue that it was featured on the cover.  Think it's one of his last.  I will bet there was a licensing issue with his estate that killed this kit.

Interesting!  I’d love to see a WIP as/when you get around to building this one, Kurt!  

17 hours ago, youpey said:

I am excited 

Nice! I did that kit back in my early teens. 

I finally got my 2nd place holy grail. I got it for a great deal too. The box is very good and its sealed inside.

My holy grail is the mr sandman kit with the buggy, but this one is a very close second. i love the 4 wheeler that come with this.   I have a perfect diorama idea for this with my bronco and a couple other things. Man, its coming together now. I am so happy 

16223100094185956779855731438341.jpg

Edited by youpey

5 hours ago, youpey said:

I finally got my 2nd place holy grail. I got it for a great deal too. The box is very good and its sealed inside.

My holy grail is the mr sandman kit with the buggy, but this one is a very close second. i love the 4 wheeler that come with this.   I have a perfect diorama idea for this with my bronco and a couple other things. Man, its coming together now. I am so happy 

What a fantastic find and buy!  The Honda Odyssey is awesome for pickups and dioramas.  Very glad for you friend..

On 5/28/2021 at 12:51 PM, Mike999 said:

The fe-mail carrier just dropped off 2 of the Italeri #3630 Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruisers.  I had no luck finding this kit thru a U.S. company, so I ordered from Jumblies in the UK.  They had the best price I could find, U.S. $22.46. 

Unfortunately, airmail shipping ran that WAY up, but we're all hostages to shipping these days.  I ordered on 5/15 and received the kits today, 5/28. So less than 2 weeks from the UK, again not bad with the current worldwide shipping problems.

The kit looks like the ESCI original:  blue plastic body, black chassis/interior parts and the 2 tops are molded in white.  ESCI never put both tops in one box, so that's a nice bonus.  Maybe I can partly recover the cost by selling an ESCI "Filipino Taxi" on eBay...

bj-44_ital.jpg

Awesome looking kit subject…

5 hours ago, youpey said:

Holy cow!  Talk about a blast from the past! My sister did that kit when we were in our early teens. A fantastic find indeed! I just love seeing folks finding these old kits. Brings back a lot of memories from my youth years building models.

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Just arrived, should make a pretty neat resto mod

[Porsche 904]

I have the other box version of that too.  Looks much better than the original slot car kit.

Received the Sportstar today.  I never looked at this series of Model Master kits, I know it was a short run.  Very simple, massive cleanup will be required, such as a wart on the hood.  I find it amusing, since Boyd sort of made billet aluminum the only thing to use, the wheels are cast white metal.  The shape of the body looks good.  It would be tough to open up the engine bay, and detail a proper chassis.  Now I need to find the Autoweek that featured this car, saw it recently before I cleaned the model room........

IMG_1916.thumb.jpg.7e2dfebab32a725d9ccf8c39951cc859.jpg
IMG_1917.thumb.jpg.10e1e5017188622330d639bdd22b98dd.jpg
IMG_1918.thumb.jpg.1df847b27e2bcd0f6185cefe9cc5a08d.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...