Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, samdiego said:

Tamiya's Gamma Goat. For $11.00 at Hobby Lobby. I'll buy just about any model for $11

Reminds me, they've had a Tamiya Walker Bulldog tank for $17.99, regular price. It's obviously an old, "first gen" kit but I don't think I've seen a $17.99 price tag on ANYTHING Tamiya since the '80s--maybe the '70s. Gotta get one. Could be a fun build. B)

When I get into the obsession mood, I sort of go overboard.  This month I got two more kits from an estate, it was like the proverbial barn find.  I previously posted the AMT Mercedes 300SL Autobahn on a new topic thread, just because it's too cool.  The AMT 1/16 scale '55 Chevy convertible is something I have not seen before, and I have a few Fujimi 1/16 kits already, so why not; I see it has a turbo option!  Got another Nazca M12, because the guy gave me a good deal.  *Had to* get the Tamiya 911 Turbo, even though I have two Fujimi kits.  The '72 Chevy pickup had been started with paint, seller stripped the body, so it was a decent deal (compared to eBay prices!), I will build it as a replica of my real '69.  AMT '55 Chevy pickup, already have the '57 with photo-etch parts, but why not?  Revell Integra is just for the engine, will stuff into the '74 Honda Civic RS (did already on my '87 Civic), no need to open that kit either.    ...someday...

IMG_8312_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8313_Fotor.jpg

Used my HL coupon this week on a '66 Mercury. I already had a previous reissue in the stash, but now I can build one as a period '60s custom without worrying about shaving off the beautiful original factory trim, in case the mood ever strikes me to build one factory stock. 

Also, lucked out and scored four of my beloved but extremely hard to find Trim nail buffer sticks at KMart. :D Details on these here: 

Attended the Phoenix model swap meet today.  I sold 3 models, bought 3 plus military parts.  I *had to * get the '72 Chevy pickup, it was *only* $35 unmolested, so maybe I'll do a 4 door version someday.  (my stash behind) :rolleyes:  I have been looking for a Ferrari 512S to go with the Porsche 917, again someday in my next life.  My neighbor recently restored a Goat, was thinking of building a before version, which was found on the Navajo Reservation, yes, a diamond in the rough, he has a really nice real thing! Why are these hard to find nowadays?

IMG_8333_Fotor.jpg

Picked these up at a model car show in Cicero, NY. Looked for a long time for the Comet. The mustang I got from Ollies in Cicero. A lot of those kits still availble there. Met up with 2 club members, Nice guys. Hopefully next will be the Fulton, NY show. But I’m definitely going to the Binghamton, ny swap meet

D42BC1C8-A8FA-4901-9968-80996DEE2917.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo
Spell check

13 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these up at a model car show in Cicero, NY. Looked for a long time for the Comet. The mustang I got from Ollies in Cicero. A lot of those kits still avail bile there. Met up with 2 club members, Nice guys. Hopefully next will be the Fulton, NY show. But i’m Difinately going to the Binghamton, ny swap meet

D42BC1C8-A8FA-4901-9968-80996DEE2917.jpeg

If you ever see another one of those Comets, grab it! I will trade or buy it from you.

I really like that year Comet, but don't want to pay 80 bucks for a Craftsman kit.

2 hours ago, RichCostello said:

...I really like that year Comet, but don't want to pay 80 bucks for a Craftsman kit.

Ouch!  That's pretty close to one recent eBay auction. 3 have sold recently:

Sep 15, 2018 AMT 1964 MERCURY COMET CALIENTE MODEL CAR KIT $56.00, 7 bids

Aug 3, 2018 AMT 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente $76.00, 13 bids. Looks like that one turned into a bidding war.

Jul 24, 2018 AMT/Model King 1964 Mercury Comet, with extra resin teardrop hood $41.15, 12 bids

For reference, I have one of these kits with the original hobby shop price sticker on it: $24.99.  That shop gave me a 20% discount, so I paid about $20 each for the ones I bought.  I feel very lucky.  I happened to go into that shop on a Friday when the new stuff came in, and they were still unpacking these.  By the next Friday, the shop had already sold out of the Comet.

18 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Ouch!  That's pretty close to one recent eBay auction. 3 have sold recently:

Sep 15, 2018 AMT 1964 MERCURY COMET CALIENTE MODEL CAR KIT $56.00, 7 bids

Aug 3, 2018 AMT 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente $76.00, 13 bids. Looks like that one turned into a bidding war.

Jul 24, 2018 AMT/Model King 1964 Mercury Comet, with extra resin teardrop hood $41.15, 12 bids

For reference, I have one of these kits with the original hobby shop price sticker on it: $24.99.  That shop gave me a 20% discount, so I paid about $20 each for the ones I bought.  I feel very lucky.  I happened to go into that shop on a Friday when the new stuff came in, and they were still unpacking these.  By the next Friday, the shop had already sold out of the Comet.

I'm just hoping that with AMT rereleasing the 59 Imperial, that the Comet is next.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, tabsscale1 said:

Yep that is the difference and the tires are going to be sold by his son and they don't have the firestone on them 

So essentially, Modelhaus tires are going to be available again? When, and how to find?
That would be great news!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...