Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

Hey Bill.. It's been a little over a week.. I hope you've over come the miserables and are back to your ole self. 

Thank you, sir.

Definitely almost all the way back, but taking the rest of the week off to rest and make sure it's gone.

Symptoms seem to point to the "RSV" thing going around, different from the last dose of flu-like misery that lasted several weeks.

Funny...prior to the disease-that-cannot-be-named, I almost never got colds or flu.

Now it seems to be every other month.

• Sad 1

This is small potatoes when it comes to being irked but - When you finally spot something for sale on eBay that looks like an ok deal, get an offer from the seller that's even better, then look at the shipping and realize the seller is making up for the low price by padding the shipping. The price ends up being the same or more than other sellers. Annoying, but easily avoided. ;)

Got absolutely nothing to do with anything here, but an older gentleman in my apartment building passed away last week. Found out today, from the building manager, that when his family went into his apartment to clear his belongings, yesterday, someone had already been there and ransacked the place. He was known to keep a fair amount of cash on hand... None was found by his family... No sign of a break in, so it had to be someone in his life who had a key. The whole thing has me sick to my stomach.

Edited by NitroMarty
  • Sad 1

Some drunk chick drove down my street New Years Eve and hit all three of my vehicles plus two other cars farther down. Police found the car with the fresh damage and matching paint colors. She denied everything but they could only cite her with hit and run along with some other violations. Had to spend New Years day all ticked off waiting until Tuesday to call the insurance company. Thankfully, the cars are drivable, but I'm still pretty steamed.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Keith

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, NitroMarty said:

Got absolutely nothing to do with anything here, but an older gentleman in my apartment building passed away last week. Found out today, from the building manager, that when his family went into his apartment to clear his belongings, yesterday, someone had already been there and ransacked the place. He was known to keep a fair amount of cash on hand... None was found by his family... No sign of a break in, so it had to be someone in his life who had a key. The whole thing has me sick to my stomach.

My mother wasn't even cold, literally, before my father's sister was rummaging through my mother's stuff to see what she could carry off.

Never expect much from humans.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My mother wasn't even cold, literally, before my father's sister was rummaging through my mother's stuff to see what she could carry off.

same with my gran. She'd only been in the ground for half an hour before the family members that did nothing whatsoever to help care (wouldn't even visit her even though they walked by the house every day which my gran saw and got upset about) for her were going through her house. Since i had the only key i locked them in the cold empty house (she'd been living at my mothers for 7 years so there was nothing to even sit on in the house) for 24 hours. They still refuse to speak to me but its no loss, i dont need folk like that around me and family is just a word used to guilt people into taking sides even if they are wrong. Its not that i dont care about family, but it has to work both ways and i dont have the patience to put up with their nonsense.

Both the above post, Marty and also Keith's irk stories are horrifying and absolutely proof of today's lack of respect for others knowing that there's no repercussions that will happen. Welcome to our new 🌎 of lawlessness supported by the insane individuals who govern our laws! 

A story that I was made aware of recently. This individual who I know only from being brought into our lives by another family member. He is a low level drug dealer with family members who all have multiple pages of criminal charges and convictions on record. Everything from credit card theft to writing fake prescriptions for narcotics to sending individuals to easy write RX doctors to obtain oxycodin and other narcotics to resell on the streets. He he has been caught multiple times and has a 20 year sentence hanging over his head from a pryor case where he beat and left the guy for dead. He served 5 years and was awarded probation with stipulations for that crime. He's been caught many times since for a variety of drug and assault charges but he seems to be always left free??  Anyway he claims to do handiwork for a fictitious  company his brother runs and supplies the jerks with w-2 forms for court and tax time. He was doing work for an elderly man who lived by himself but has family that lives a few towns away. He somehow talked or tricked the guy into signing over the title to his house and property, added himself to the man's bank accounts and made the man's legal guardian. The family found this all out when the man's doctor called and wanted to know why was their dad missing his appointments? They went to the house and was told to leave by the crook. This is an on going investigation and I hope to God this punk gets what's coming too him finally! 

Edited by A modeler named mike
Added content

14 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

same with my gran. She'd only been in the ground for half an hour before the family members that did nothing whatsoever to help care (wouldn't even visit her even though they walked by the house every day which my gran saw and got upset about) for her were going through her house. Since i had the only key i locked them in the cold empty house (she'd been living at my mothers for 7 years so there was nothing to even sit on in the house) for 24 hours. They still refuse to speak to me but its no loss, i dont need folk like that around me and family is just a word used to guilt people into taking sides even if they are wrong. Its not that i dont care about family, but it has to work both ways and i dont have the patience to put up with their nonsense.

I've seen this ugliness before with friends and other family members and believe I'll have the same situation with my brother when our dad passes. When dad was in the hospital this last time, he didn't come to visit in the 6 days dad was hospitalized. He didn't even visit on Christmas! But when we thought dad wouldn't pull through the 50 questions from my brother started. How much is the house worth? How much is his life insurance policy for? How much cash is in the safe?

This type of BS makes me sick!

38 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

I've seen this ugliness before with friends and other family members and believe I'll have the same situation with my brother when our dad passes. When dad was in the hospital this last time, he didn't come to visit in the 6 days dad was hospitalized. He didn't even visit on Christmas! But when we thought dad wouldn't pull through the 50 questions from my brother started. How much is the house worth? How much is his life insurance policy for? How much cash is in the safe?

This type of BS makes me sick!

do you know a good locksmith? wouldn't hurt to change the locks just to be safe

After my Mom passed in 2016 (I was still living in Arizona, 2000 miles away), my schizophrenic older brother lived in her house for 6 years, wouldn't let my sister or I access the house (we went to court and through probate, she had no will, we divided her estate 3 ways), and it wasn't until after he passed with no will in 2022 (when he was living in the house w/ no working heat, water, or sewer) and cleaned out the mess he'd made that we realized anything of hers that had been valuable (jewelry, etc) he had hocked or destroyed.    We did find some of her and our Dad's mementos that hadn't been destroyed, salvaged what we could.  Was a sad mess and he ruined a lot of good memories of the family home, but glad it's behind me. 

Haven't got my copy of Model Car Magazine #222 and haven't got the replacement copy either. That's what irks me today and each day it doesn't show up.

I get Motorsport magazine all the way from the UK on a regular basis so the USPS can deliver when they want to.

10 hours ago, TonyK said:

Haven't got my copy of Model Car Magazine #222 and haven't got the replacement copy either. That's what irks me today and each day it doesn't show up.

I get Motorsport magazine all the way from the UK on a regular basis so the USPS can deliver when they want to.

Tony,

I shipped you a replacement copy right after Christmas. It should be there by now. PM me your address just to make sure it's correct in our system. 

My youngest got pulled over by the police last night.  He was in a heavy retail area with his girlfriend when he got lit up.  He was driving below the limit as his mom took out a deer with the mini van years ago and the road along side the retail is a windy, heavily wooded area.  He pulls into the gas station and a second officer (K9) pulls in too.  His offense?  Dirty license plate.  Seriously?  My guess was plate readers that some cities/townships have couldn't get a read on it.  It did snow off and on all day so there was some slush but there dirt on the plate from being 20 years old.  I would have thought they would be more concerned that the exahust system rusted off after the muffler so while not loud, the 4.7L does give a good rumble.  I told him he should have offered to let them search the vehicle as the oversized spare takes up most of the hatch.  The poor K9 would have had to retire if he smelled the boys golf cleats!

Not bad, winter didn't arrive in my part of Canada until January.

We finally got some snow over the weekend. Just a dusting. Enough to make me feel justified in buying winter tires for the truck.

I'm not really irked per se, but I'm not a fan of cold weather. And it's not even that cold yet. Only -10 C during the day. Supposed to be down to -30 C later this week. 

Then next week, the temps go back up to -5 or so.

image.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 11:33 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

My father died and my mother had Alzheimer's.  My sister and her husband pretty much ransacked the house of my family heirlooms and my mothers collectibles. They had no use for this stuff, just grabbed it because they were greedy.  A lot of it rotted in their damp basement.

They were also the last to use the family bassinet, which was my father's crib in 1934 and every family baby since had been in it. It is inscribed with every child's name and birthdate. It disappeared after her last child, and they swore they never had it.  My daughters were disappointed since their kids wouldn't be in it.  After 20 years, they are cleaning out their attic in anticipation of moving... what do they find? The frickin bassinet!  I get a text from  my lummox brother in law for me to come pick it up within 24 hours or it was going to the dump!  Note they live 1-1/2 hours away.  We had words... and a week later my son in law found it in his driveway.  So at least lummox feared me enough!  And I now have it, less my 5 granddaughter's usage and names.

As they continued to pack, I'd get texts from my sister with pictures of things I thought were missing for years , with the "come get it or it's going in the garbage".  Some of it was actually my stuff that was at my parents' house. Including a case of old unbuilt kits from my teens. Later I picked up an entire car load of stuff, and told her I declined on the rest!  

• Sad 2

Paid curtoms fees on a couple of audi kits, so the royal mail in their infinite wisdom are saying i didn't pay it so they are sending it back to spain.  and their helpline for fees is garbage with a 45 minute waiting time and no chance of speaking to a human

• Confused 1

What's with all the "extra waste" bags in some kits these day's?? The AMT Rat Fink Trailer has 5 extra un-needed bags for parts! Three contain white trailer parts, (only needs the one as all the chrome, lights, and other white parts fit into the bag that contains the roof, floor, and wall's. It don't need a bag for the axles! The axles could be bagged with the tires. I cut it down from EIGHT bags to Three!  1.all white trailer parts/chrome/light's, and rubber line in bag 1. Bag 2. tires/axles, and bag three decals! So does the Five extra plastic bags help increase the price?? I know it increases the amount of plastic waste going to the landfill's!

Also USPS lost my AEP Electric bill! They don't know what happened to it. It's a good thing I have an online account with AEP So I know what the bill charges are.

Edited by ranma

The individual bags of white/unplated parts likely each contain the output of one molding machine.  The axles and (if any) other metal items like screws or hood clips are packaged in another area (probably in advance) so those will be bagged separately.  Clear and tinted clear parts are also made separately from the main portion of the kit, so those too will be bagged separately to avoid scratches and loss of individual parts.  They wouldn't do it if it weren't necessary.