Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

53 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Xingu locking down the "how about a laugh" thread.

Look, because this has come up earlier today, let's clear up a few things.

1. Xingu did not go rogue. Us moderators actually talk about things. And there is an "Admin" sub-forum where we can discuss board issues of all descriptions. It was one of the biggest threads here; with one of the highest post counts and thread views. We didn't take closing it lightly. We did discuss it. Several times. So everyone can just stop with being angry at just one person. Be angry at everyone. 

2. Some people think that politics are fine if it's presented as a meme.

3. Yes, discussions and memes about government officials and government policy IS political. Believe it or not. If you get your humour from "Patriot Post" just assume it's probably crossing our lines, as that is a political website.

4. The "humour" was mostly gone from the thread. It was becoming the "old men yelling at clouds" thread. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Xingu locking down the "how about a laugh" thread.

I've never posted or even knew that thread existed. I guess I've got more exploring to do.. What I saw was not crossing the line. JMO doesn't matter anyway, you have the right to feel as you wish no matter what the masses demand. So the dead thread has the last laugh.. Just saying..

After seeing the above post let it be known that one does not have to intentionally visit a political site to retrieve memes. These memes may pop up along with other images when looking for a particular subject or photo. Yes it may be from a political site but that doesn't make the individual posting it believe or be aware of the views of that site. Kinda like judging a book by its cover? No? I'll shut up now🤐

Edited by A modeler named mike
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Look, because this has come up earlier today, let's clear up a few things.

1. Xingu did not go rogue. Us moderators actually talk about things. And there is an "Admin" sub-forum where we can discuss board issues of all descriptions. It was one of the biggest threads here; with one of the highest post counts and thread views. We didn't take closing it lightly. We did discuss it. Several times. So everyone can just stop with being angry at just one person. Be angry at everyone. 

2. Some people think that politics are fine if it's presented as a meme.

3. Yes, discussions and memes about government officials and government policy IS political. Believe it or not. If you get your humour from "Patriot Post" just assume it's probably crossing our lines, as that is a political website.

4. The "humour" was mostly gone from the thread. It was becoming the "old men yelling at clouds" thread. 

Look, Dan, 

You know, as a Canadian, I couldn't care less about politics or religion posts. Especially US politics and religion. 

If you go through the thread, as I suspect, you already have, you'll be able to count my posts in it on one hand. 

It's the closing post that rubbed my rhubarb the wrong way. [actually, I have no rhubarb, I mowed the whole strip of it the previous owner had growing in the back yard when I bought the house].

IF it had been posted as you have above, that would have explained things a lot better and been more understandable. some of the other mods don't "communicate" as well as you do.

Hey, being a mod on an internet forum is a crappy job, I know that , wouldn't do it myself. But I just found the whole "this is closed, you've all been warned, don't start another thread" after 2 years to be rather odd without some more explanation , as you've provided above as the rest of us are not privy to what's going on in the background, so to speak.

Anyway, I really don't care that the thread is shut down myself. Just looking for the thought process , which you have provided.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

wouldn't do it if it weren't necessary

Odd you said that, I had an older AMT semi trailer kit which the parts were all in two bags ! The main parts in one the chrome in the other, and tires/axles were loose along with the red/yellow lights!

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

It's the closing post that rubbed my rhubarb the wrong way. [actually, I have no rhubarb, I mowed the whole strip of it the previous owner had growing in the back yard when I bought the house].

This sentence was a laugh for me. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The older kits were molded using bigger machines.  As I understand, overseas kit production uses smaller groups of tooling injected using multiple smaller machines.  Not sure what the reasoning is, but it is what it is.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:00 AM, Tom Geiger said:

My father died and my mother had Alzheimer's.  My sister and her husband pretty much ransacked the house of my family heirlooms and my mothers collectibles. They had no use for this stuff, just grabbed it because they were greedy.  A lot of it rotted in their damp basement.

They were also the last to use the family bassinet, which was my father's crib in 1934 and every family baby since had been in it. It is inscribed with every child's name and birthdate. It disappeared after her last child, and they swore they never had it.  My daughters were disappointed since their kids wouldn't be in it.  After 20 years, they are cleaning out their attic in anticipation of moving... what do they find? The frickin bassinet!  I get a text from  my lummox brother in law for me to come pick it up within 24 hours or it was going to the dump!  Note they live 1-1/2 hours away.  We had words... and a week later my son in law found it in his driveway.  So at least lummox feared me enough!  And I now have it, less my 5 granddaughter's usage and names.

As they continued to pack, I'd get texts from my sister with pictures of things I thought were missing for years , with the "come get it or it's going in the garbage".  Some of it was actually my stuff that was at my parents' house. Including a case of old unbuilt kits from my teens. Later I picked up an entire car load of stuff, and told her I declined on the rest!  

I know how you feel my mother and grand mother’s photo albums can’t be found. Some family member took them and her jewelry box why steal I just don’t understand…

A bit of a chill in the air this morning. 🥶

Temperature currently about -40 Celcius. That's where Celcius and Farenheit are the same. With windchill, feels closer to -52 C (-61 F) according to the weather channel.

For those unaware, here's what happens to your vehicles in that kind of temperature.

1. Your tires freeze solid and feel like you are rolling on flat spotted rocks.

2. Suspension freezes. All the fluids inside your shocks and struts and whatnot solidifies. Rough ride? Holy moly. I've been on antique farm equipment that rides smoother.

3. Power steering? Not really. Again, oil/fluid thickens up, make serious steering effort required.

4. Rubber door seals? Solid as a rock. Can make closing the door a little more challenging.

5. The foam in your seats freezes, so it feel like sitting on an actual bench. A wooden one.

6. Your vehicle will make a lot of weird noises.

Now after warming it up for a while and a couple of minutes of driving, most of the above goes away.

And as an EV extra:

7. Normal range 500km or so to a charge, drops to about 300km to a charge. At best. And that's with being able to plug in and warm/pre-condition the battery at work during the day and plugging ion overnight.

8. Heater still heats, but not as well as in a gas engine. Heated seats and heated steering wheel still work perfectly though.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Temperature currently about -40 Celcius. That's where Celcius and Farenheit are the same. With windchill, feels closer to -52 C (-61 F) according to the weather channel.

For those unaware, here's what happens to your vehicles in that kind of temperature.

2. Suspension freezes. All the fluids inside your shocks and struts and whatnot solidifies. Rough ride? Holy moly. I've been on antique farm equipment that rides smoother.

3. Power steering? Not really. Again, oil/fluid thickens up, make serious steering effort required.

4. Rubber door seals? Solid as a rock. Can make closing the door a little more challenging.

5. The foam in your seats freezes, so it feel like sitting on an actual bench. A wooden one.

Now after warming it up for a while and a couple of minutes of driving, most of the above goes away.

It almost never goes below about 20degF here, but all those things happen to a lesser degree.

The most concerning is the pretty-much worn out engine in my '89 GMC, causing a lot of prolonged piston slap during warm-up.

It makes me cringe thinking of how easy it would be to shatter a piston skirt if I revved the poor thing when it's stone cold, like a lot of folks I see.

Doors freeze shut after a temp drop post-rain too, and it's not uncommon to see people here dump hot water on windshields and side glass, with cracked windshields and exploded side glass being the result.

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

it's not uncommon to see people here dump hot water on windshields and side glass, with cracked windshields and exploded side glass being the result.

Reminds me of when I was stationed in Oklahoma in 1988. A friend's wife went out one especially, brutally cold morning just to find her windshield had a thin sheet of ice on it. Rather than crank the car and let the defroster do its stuff, she went back inside and got a small ball-peen hammer. Do I need to continue the story?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

A relative of mine used to keep a ball peen hammer in his car, in case someone parked too close and prevented him from being able to open the drivers' side door.  It was dubbed "the windshield hammer", when it was used it was applied right in the driver's line of sight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had to drive 20 miles of horrible road conditions so the wife could get followup blood work.

It was evident the girl at the desk of the outpatient center didn't want to be there and it took a lot not to tell her off.

Get home and a few hours later results come in and we discover that when she put it in she left off the most important test and they didn't do it! 

Called the hospital only to be told the outpatient center closed early because of bad weather.

We will now have to get it done tuesday morning after she  gets out of the sleep study clinic. She was scheduled to get more blood work on that day.

We also found that they didn'y honor the request to send the results to our primary care doctor. I asked that it be done on the phone but they said she has to be there to sign consent again.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

... -40 Celcius. That's where Celcius and Farenheit are the same. .....

Did not know that, I have no math sense, so my guess that that the two scales were always out of alignment. Worst I've ever experienced is 8°F, where my oil probably wasn't exactly equipped to be that cold, so it sounded like my engine was grinding up ice cubes when I first started it up.

The coldest I can recall was -19F in Ohio in January 1994.  Close to that was in Colorado in January 2007, -17F.   Hottest I recall was 119F in Phoenix on my birthday in 2015 or 16.  I don’t care for extremes in temps.  From about 40 to 80 is where I’m most comfortable. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

10 hours ago, Russell C said:

Did not know that, I have no math sense, so my guess that that the two scales were always out of alignment. Worst I've ever experienced is 8°F, where my oil probably wasn't exactly equipped to be that cold, so it sounded like my engine was grinding up ice cubes when I first started it up.

The freezing point of mercury is -38.83 degrees Celsius or -37.89 degrees Fahrenheit, so I guess they just rounded it down to -40  being the equal point.🥶🥶🥶

On 1/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, iamsuperdan said:

And as an EV extra:

7. Normal range 500km or so to a charge, drops to about 300km to a charge. At best. And that's with being able to plug in and warm/pre-condition the battery at work during the day and plugging ion overnight.

8. Heater still heats, but not as well as in a gas engine. Heated seats and heated steering wheel still work perfectly though.

image.jpeg

thanks for the information i always wondered about cars in extreme cold..

Whatever happened to it just snowing? I don't mind snow. You can drive in it, play in it, looks pretty, etc. Even dogs can have fun it it.

Anymore it always has to be nasty wind and sleet or freezing rain. I don't even mind real cold temps if the wind and sleet isn't pummeling me when I go outside.

Old man rant over.

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

Whatever happened to it just snowing? I don't mind snow. You can drive in it, play in it, looks pretty, etc. Even dogs can have fun it it.

Anymore it always has to be nasty wind and sleet or freezing rain. I don't even mind real cold temps if the wind and sleet isn't pummeling me when I go outside.

Old man rant over.

Yeah... wind and freezing rain here outside Cleveland so far w/ the current storm..just a few flurries, nothing accumulating yet..

I should have taken a video of the sounds my neighbour's truck made after I helped him get it started this morning. Wow, it was NOT happy. Was about -43 C this morning.

He had it parked on the street, so didn't have it plugged in. So we grabbed his battery charger, plugged it into the Lightning, and was able to get it up and running in a couple of minutes.

Winter has moved into my neck of SoCal. Ocean temps are now down to 59F. Time to get out the gloves, booties, and hood. Won't need the hood for another month, but might as well do it now. Just replaced my winter wetsuit. At least I'll be reasonably warm after the initial cold shock. 

22 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Winter has moved into my neck of SoCal. Ocean temps are now down to 59F. Time to get out the gloves, booties, and hood. Won't need the hood for another month, but might as well do it now. Just replaced my winter wetsuit. At least I'll be reasonably warm after the initial cold shock. 

thats still warmer than our hottest sea temps, we max out about 55 in august, lol