Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

On 2/12/2023 at 12:08 PM, Tom Geiger said:

A74E1A11-5702-4B9C-9EDE-E7C09DB94EE4.jpeg.bac37fb6f5770167e6e17af29e643e6c.jpeg

My walkabout in the quaint little town of Allentown, NJ. Pretty little Saturn Sky. These are around with low miles and not too expensive.

91FA9C5F-E06B-4166-B02D-2A1C7DF5E740.thumb.jpeg.1482d79e8d6453e02712660e31b2ebf2.jpeg

Late 1970s Corolla soldiers onward! This one is exact car my father in law had!

CAF596EC-1A72-432D-9FCB-2694E63FC2BD.jpeg.c50f4282294ef0214536745fa9ff5712.jpeg

They lied!  They would not sell it to me for $17!  Bait and switch I tell ya!

Might be time for new glasses? That Corolla is from the 90s…

13 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Might be time for new glasses? That Corolla is from the 90s…

You are right! A slip because I once had a 78 Corolla Deluxe wagon. I’m waiting on delivery of a 3D printed one from the Ukraine!  Our green sedan was a 1994. My father in law gave it to my older daughter who passed it down to her younger sister. We later gave it to my nephew who had it until recently.

14 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The large wheels are a giveaway that it’s a replica.  The real ones in the 60s had maybe 14-inch wheels 

Hard to tell just what diameter these wheels are in the picture. I wouldn't rule out even 17' diameter reproduction wheels. From the side view all of the open wheel well showing makes me think maybe an even lower profile tire as well. As for the original Gulstrand Corvettes I'm pretty sure they would have been a 15" diameter wheel since that was sort of the standard of the time. I don't recall ever seeing a 14" wheel option on any Corvettes since they all had larger diameter brake drums or discs depending on the application. See these reproduction Corvettes pop up at Mecum auctions often. 

29 minutes ago, espo said:

Hard to tell just what diameter these wheels are in the picture. I wouldn't rule out even 17' diameter reproduction wheels. From the side view all of the open wheel well showing makes me think maybe an even lower profile tire as well. As for the original Gulstrand Corvettes I'm pretty sure they would have been a 15" diameter wheel since that was sort of the standard of the time. I don't recall ever seeing a 14" wheel option on any Corvettes since they all had larger diameter brake drums or discs depending on the application. See these reproduction Corvettes pop up at Mecum auctions often. 

I figured 14 or 15, didn’t look it up but most 60s American cars had wheels of those sizes. 

14 hours ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

it wasn't just today, i see this thing almost daily as the owner lives a few doors down from me, but i was finally able to get a decent pic of it.  but he's got an itasha thing going on with his subaru

IMG_20230216_073310290_HDR1.jpg

I don't understand it but I admire the whole-hearted dedication to it.