Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

175BA3D8-4719-4236-AB06-17C8632D36BF.thumb.jpeg.11db63cb0ab2207e2a10825d2bb429a5.jpeg

Having my morning Americano ️ at the local coffee joint and spotted the Bentley SUV or perhaps “shooting brake” would be more appropriate. I’m generally not in favour sporty or lux vehicles looking like this, yet I find this somewhat appealing. The suede lead colour with a bit of gold trim actually makes it, the body design from the cowl back would look much better with the fastback two door.

Next the Corvette seems to be on the block for “SUV-ness”…

Cheers Mishs

On 12/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, Misha said:

“shooting brake”

Not to be splitting hares, but isn't the definition of a shooting brake having two doors not four? Could be different definition over on the other side of the pond. There's lots of those Bentley, Rolls and Aston Martin SUVs around here (not to mention the Italians, Lambo, Ferrari). -RRR

6 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Not to be splitting hares, but isn't the definition of a shooting brake having two doors not four? Could be different definition over on the other side of the pond. There's lots of those Bentley, Rolls and Aston Martin SUVs around here (not to mention the Italians, Lambo, Ferrari). -RRR

a shooting brake is a coachbuilt wagon based on a production luxury or sports car. the only exception is rolls and bentley shooting brakes since they are production cars but all the others are coachbuilt 2 doors. the current trend of naming wagons shooting brakes is just a model name, since they aren't coachbuilt. the california corvette wagon is a shooting brake as it wasn't built by chevy, if chevy built it then its just a 2 door wagon.

Something somewhere had to be going on yesterday. I was doing some running around in the morning and was on a section of hiway several times and each time there was a flatbed roll back type truck with a classic car on it. The first time the car on back was a '57 Chevrolet two door post car with 210 series trim. Great looking red paint, the downside was it showed questionable body work done in the past. About an hour later on the same stretch of hiway  another flatbed truck and this time he had a '70's Plymouth Duster also done in red with all the black stripes.  

Seems today was C3 Corvette day. Spotted the blue one while riding out some neighborhoods looking for cars, the orange '77 was a nice car. The '69 Ford Pickup is another from this morning. The '56 Chev is from a couple days ago. I do enjoy looking for vintage tin & fiberglass!

20221219_102821_HDR.jpg

20221222_071641.jpg

20221222_071351.jpg

20221220_172843.jpg

Last night heading home from work I saw a Rivian coming the other way.  It was dark, so all I saw were the funky headlights and illuminated strip that runs across the front.

Relating to shooting brakes, the term comes from a horse-drawn wagon that carried hunting supplies along with the hunting party.  The French seem to use the term "break", which comes from "break de chasse".  In England the term "estate car" is sometimes used.  The hunting and sporting image of these cars is in stark contrast to the US "station wagon" and "depot hack", which were more like utilitarian taxis to transport people and luggage to and from their train.

Lastly, regarding Rolls Royce and Bentley, throughout their classic era, IIRC anything other than their standard saloon body would have been coachbuilt.

Edited by Brian Austin

On 12/28/2022 at 7:22 PM, The Junkman said:

Alll-righty then.

e5O6lROl.jpg

And of course the rear license plate frame mentioned a "Need for Speed"

Ironically, that looks like my base model V6 (although mine is a coupe), which is the most gutless of that generation Mustang range.  "Need MORE Speed" would be a more accurate vanity plate 😁

NOTE TO HARDCORE MUSTANG FANS: I love my base-model V6 Mustang; it's fun to drive, plenty fast enough to get me in trouble, plenty practical, cheap to run, kinda almost handles well, has a stick-shift which they didn't offer in the V8...but it's definitely not what you'd call fast.

4 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Ironically, that looks like my base model V6 (although mine is a coupe), which is the most gutless of that generation Mustang range.  "Need MORE Speed" would be a more accurate vanity plate 😁

NOTE TO HARDCORE MUSTANG FANS: I love my base-model V6 Mustang; it's fun to drive, plenty fast enough to get me in trouble, plenty practical, cheap to run, kinda almost handles well, has a stick-shift which they didn't offer in the V8...but it's definitely not what you'd call fast.

The V6 was a great engine and I’d buy one again over the eco boost but Ford does not offer them in a Mustang anymore.  My wide drives my 2014 V6 convertible automatic and the car and engine have been trouble free with about 95,000 miles.