Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

4 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Oh yes; in my mind, this is probably the most difficult/fiddly-to-build model car kit ever produced!!!

Yes, it's 1/25, and yes, it's super-fiddly. I'm currently finishing up one I started about 50 years ago and never finished due to that very thing. Reason I want another one is I'd kinda like to build an Altered drag car using the leftover frame in the old IMC kit. 

13 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Depends on what year you want. I don't Revell ever did any pre 67 Beetles.

I have one but not sure what year it is. Doesn't really matter for my purposes (see above), it just needs to be 1/25. 

• 2 weeks later...

AMT Pinto is a bit simpler than MPC...it is promo-based (no '77 promo, but there were ones for the first couple of years).  It has an interior bucket and slab chassis with separate axle and exhaust, as opposed to MPC's kits where the interior builds up off of the top of the underbody.  The four-cylinder engine in the '77 doesn't have a metal axle passing through it as the early kits did.  AMT's kits have an automatic transmission (MPC's kits have a manual).  I sold my AMT '77 awhile back, but if I remember right it had the "all-glass hatch" unlike MPC's kits which had the trunk lid.

54 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So does the ‘77 have any optional parts besides the CB?  Looking at pics of the ‘75 annual box art, it looks like it had optional wheels, fender flares, etc.  Wonder if any of those parts carried on to the ‘77?

Doesn't look like there is much in the way of optional parts:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT 1129 --  1/25 1977 Ford Pinto   Hmm... Nice to see that the tooling is still around (never did like the MPC Pinto / Mustang II interior platform , but that's only because the engine compartment is attached !)

AMT 1134 -- 1/16 1955 Chevy Bel Air Convertible   NICE ! I don't remember what its optional wheels were ---- hopefully not the same S/ST's in the Nomad... )

MPC 916 -- 1/25 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am   Would buy one IF it were backdated to 1976 & earlier ( 1977 & up Firebirds / Trans Am models' 4 rectangular headlamps look yucky to me ) .

Polar Lights MKA33 -- Fantastic Flames Decal Set  Fantastic . Flames .

7 hours ago, Mark said:

AMT Pinto is a bit simpler than MPC...it is promo-based (no '77 promo, but there were ones for the first couple of years).  It has an interior bucket and slab chassis with separate axle and exhaust, as opposed to MPC's kits where the interior builds up off of the top of the underbody.  The four-cylinder engine in the '77 doesn't have a metal axle passing through it as the early kits did.  AMT's kits have an automatic transmission (MPC's kits have a manual).  I sold my AMT '77 awhile back, but if I remember right it had the "all-glass hatch" unlike MPC's kits which had the trunk lid.

Have to dig out kits to be 100% sure, but from memory the MPC ‘77 & ‘78 Pinto hatchback kits had the all-glass hatch set-up. The AMT ‘77 had the standard hatch with the body-color section a separate part that located over top the window unit. 

Have been wondering if the AMT Pinto kit would eventually resurface. Hope Round 2 is able to include the optional parts from the Mini-Muscle Car version. 

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

If the 1/16 '55 Chevy convertible is like the Nomad the wheels are the S/STs

It is, or at least the AMT 1/16 '55 Chevy Bel Air Convertible and Hardtop kits included the Cragar Super Trick wheels in previous issues.

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

I was hoping for the '57 Chevy Bel Air with nice Cragar S/S mags!

The 1/16 '57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible kit includes the very nice Cragar S/S wheels.

I'm guessing the Goodyear Rally GT tires have been permanently retired, and the '55 'vert will include narrow stock tires and the Goodyear GT Radial tires, as included in the recent MPC 1/16 '79 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird kit.

9 hours ago, MyBradKeselowski said:

How many more Trans Am's are we going to get?

Yeah, it's not like '77-'78 Trans Ams were popular when they were new, or there were any major motion pictures which heavily featured such a car back in the day, and there definitely weren't millions of young boys who are now adults and want to build a model of the car they lusted after when they were young. :rolleyes:

They'll keep reissuing them until they hear/see people are not buying them.