Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

I've never seen the show and I'm not a four door guy either. Anyway, this kit is on my Must Have list. I want to build something that could have been sold as new here in Finland in 1967, as most of those cars were four doors. Of course, the most of them were sedans, but some Hardtops were sold as well.

8 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Officially the Supernatural car is supposed to have a 327 w/automatic.  I used the one out of Revell's '64 Impala in mine, so if AMT skips this detail I know that one drops in with little headache.

impala-front2.jpg.d934aa114fe4e0beb5c7a15197b07040.jpg

One thing I notice they seemed to have skipped is the spotlights, which were dropped after the first few seasons.

You are correct, the early seasons show a small block under the hood, but in later seasons, around 9 or 10, I can't recall right now, it definitely has a big block in there. So either would be correct depending on what season you're modeling. As a HUGE fan of the show,(I think I said that before) I can't wait for this to hit the shelves. Just disappointed they didn't make the trunk open, such an important part of the show.

Jeff 

4 hours ago, highway said:

I can't remember for sure without digging one of them out in the stash because I have both the street machine and stock versions when AMT did the "you want options, you buy separate kits" deal back in the 90s, but I'm pretty sure the sides of the interior are separate pieces from the interior tub. If this is the case, AMT shouldn't have had to tool and entirely new 4 door interior tub, just the 4 door side panels unless the back seat portion of the 2 door tub wasn't part of the 2 door side inserts. 

All interior parts are separate. Only thing they need to tool are the side panels.

4 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

You are correct, the early seasons show a small block under the hood, but in later seasons, around 9 or 10, I can't recall right now, it definitely has a big block in there. So either would be correct depending on what season you're modeling. As a HUGE fan of the show,(I think I said that before) I can't wait for this to hit the shelves. Just disappointed they didn't make the trunk open, such an important part of the show.

Jeff 

Yup, gotta love Hollywood cars (and their stunt doubles!). I had started building it with the 427, and got as far as having it installed in the frame when "In the Beginning" aired and Dean called it out as the SB.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, alexis said:

I neither know, nor care what Supernatural is

Just a TV series that made an otherwise unnoticed car famous... TV shows and Movies tend to do that oftentimes. As unpopular as sedans and 4 doors are, I respect a TV show that broke barriers and picked a "Hero" car that isn't the norm. It's refreshing to see and I hope it catches on.

There are some good episodes that focus on the car and they're worth watching... the Car is the Star... The fact that a model company is willing to risk a new release with such a limited subject matter is testement to the show's sucsess. 

It's a win win for me because I like abnormal cars and ANY 4 door models and I'm greatful for Supernatural because if not for the show there wouldn't be a kit of a 67 Impala 4 Door hardtop now would there?

It will be interesting to see how well the kit sells.  Interesting how Round 2 does a completely new tool for something that may or may not sell versus retooling a well requested oldie we haven't seen in years.

Never the less,  I'll be in for one of the 4 door Impala kits.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:54 PM, Junkman said:

They also did the highly successful  Barnabas Vampire Van, the non existing prototype of which never appeared in Dark Shadows.
But the '32 Chevy van kit had to die for that rubbish.

Was that the Denny Hulme Horsehide Hauler?

5 hours ago, GMP440 said:

It will be interesting to see how well the kit sells.  Interesting how Round 2 does a completely new tool for something that may or may not sell versus retooling a well requested oldie we haven't seen in years.

Never the less,  I'll be in for one of the 4 door Impala kits.

But it's not really a new tool, it's a new body, and a half dozen or so interior pieces with rest being from the '67 Impala SS kit from the 90s. 

And think of the Cross Kit possibilities with the Two door. I'll bet Round2 is aware of them as well. I will guess that by Dec 2021 (two years from now),there will be a "new" kit of the 2 door as well. Not sure how it will be marketed, but I am pretty sure that we will see something like that.

5 minutes ago, alexis said:

And think of the Cross Kit possibilities with the Two door. I'll bet Round2 is aware of them as well. I will guess that by Dec 2021 (two years from now),there will be a "new" kit of the 2 door as well. Not sure how it will be marketed, but I am pretty sure that we will see something like that.

I could see mixing the hood, grille, taillight panel and bench seat from the 4dr with the 2dr to make a base 2dr Impala.  Though not sure if that would be distinctive enough from the SS 427 to get attention beyond the lunatic fringe..

5 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

With the modern modular tooling this will show up as other kits I am sure. Police, taxi or fire. Then mix parts trees with 2 door....more versions.

police, etc versions though would require tooling a 4dr sedan body, glass and base interior, since police cars were Biscayne or Bel Air 4dr sedans.