Model Cars Magazine Forum
Classicgas

Dr. Cranky

Haven't seen him here in ages. I know he has a YouTube channel but is he here anymore?

Last seen here on Oct 22 2016.  I think he came, made a big splash, then drowned... But yes, he is still active on you tube.

17 hours ago, Oldschool4x4 said:

Last seen here on Oct 22 2016.  I think he came, made a big splash, then drowned... But yes, he is still active on you tube.

Drowned. How crass.

Cranky left a few years ago due to some personal issues that he had to sort through, that kept him from working in the hobby. During that time there were a couple of these threads wondering about his absence, and there were some unkind comments calling him an attention hound or a show off. Perhaps he saw them and decided not to come back here at all.

It's a real shame because he is a real passionate guy and a tremendous artist. Lots of us learned a lot from him. Others just had to tear him down.

Sad. He and Mr. Obsessive are a couple of the most talented people here.

doc ,still posts on youtube for those interested ,,hes got a great project going right now 

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Sad. He and Mr. Obsessive are a couple of the most talented people here.

Why thanks Lee! :D

Not too prolific lately............just moved to a new house and I'm now beginning to start work on the '55 Ford Victoria (again). I got the model room arranged the way I want it and hopefully by next weekend or so I can post some progress pics.

Virgil Suarez (aka Dr Cranky) wrote a superb book named Rats, Rods 'n' Rust that had fabulous layouts done by the late Harry Pristovnik.

Not heard much about him lately. He prepared a couple of other books I believe to feature other modeller's work. A number of years ago he messaged me on this forum about my scratch built Bugatti Type 59 that featured in MCM. Unfortunately (don't ask why) I failed to check my messages for about a couple of years and did not pick up his invitation, and by then it was too late obviously!  I sent him a personal email with profuse apologies for having not replied and since then have sent him another email when his friend and colleague Harry P passed away. Virgil did not reply to either, so I guess that maybe he might still be rightly annoyed at me for my unintentional bad manners.

Virgil is certainly a larger than life character judging by his book, and installs a sense of fun into his approach whilst still getting all the right information across in a very readable format. I saw some of Bill Geary (Mr Obsessive's) superb models featured in the book where Virgil devotes sections towards the back of the book to individual modellers and their work. a really good book to het a hold of!

On 11/1/2019 at 9:01 AM, Jantrix said:

there were some unkind comments calling him an attention hound or a show off.

To be fair, his self-aggrandizing tone at times was not exactly endearing, and his not-so-subtle indirect promotion of his products and YouTube channel also rubbed some people the wrong way. I've always felt there's a fine line (maybe more of an unwritten rule?) between business and pleasure on a website such as this, and when someone's personal projects become more and more like advertisements for things they are selling elsewhere, it makes people question the true intent of the person doing it. Can the two be mutually exclusive? Yes, they can, but when you straddle the line, it's sometimes hard to know which side someone is truly standing on.

Virgil is a very talented builder, no question, and has the ability to be in front of a camera, which, not everyone does. He definitely has a positive influence on the entire model building community, for lack of a better term, but that doesn't mean his style and presentation is everyone's cup of tea. 

There are many extremely talented builders in this hobby, some with big egos who enjoy the attention of seeing their name mentioned, and others who take pride in their work without any desire for attention or recognition. We all have to decide where on that spectrum is the type of builder who appeals to us, and what range we're willing to tolerate.

Dr, Cranky’s fame, fortune, persona and self-promotion jag rapidly overwhelmed him. He became the George Barris of our hobby.