Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
alexis

New From Round2/AMT 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

It was not a good seller? Try to pick one up now. It's impossible to find one at a reasonable price. 

Saw one on Ebay a few days ago. $80 buy it now! I know where one is sitting on a shelf for $20. I'm going back to get it next week hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It was not a good seller? Try to pick one up now. It's impossible to find one at a reasonable price. 

Obviously not because it wasn’t out long before it was discontinued. Got my second Rabbit at Ollie’s for $7.99. Search hobby shops and swap meets, it’s not that rare a kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AMT Rabbit tooling still exists.  And FWIW (given the memory is now 42 years old), I put together one of these right after it came out, without paint, to assess whether AMT had made progress in improving the quality of their newly tooled kits of the late 1970's.  My recollection was that the kit went together really well 

The kit was tooled as a joint project with the AMT Scirocco kit of the same era; much of the underbody is shared parts trees.  Round 2 reissued the Scirocco within the last several years, so we know the tooling exists. 

Those of you who read the other model magazine should check out my fairly recent "Classic Kits" column review of the AMT Rabbit, it contains some pretty interesting "insider info" about the kit from back in the day, and a published quote from the soon-thereafter AMT-Lesney-Matchbox product manager discussing the market (non)results of the kit....

TIM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw the originals:

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-934 1/32 Wacky Races: Compact Pussycat (Snap) $30.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-935 1/32 Wacky Races: Mean Machine (Snap) $30.95 TBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Never saw the originals:

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-934 1/32 Wacky Races: Compact Pussycat (Snap) $30.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-935 1/32 Wacky Races: Mean Machine (Snap) $30.95 TBA

I want them.....stupid kits....hated them as a kid......now I wanted them because I dismissed them back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a couple little Wacky Races cars as cereal premiums; they permanently satisfied my desire for them in any scale.

muttley.gif.a603e1c65fa9e148b03c1c7d237e2d82.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The AMT Rabbit tooling still exists.  And FWIW (given the memory is now 42 years old), I put together one of these right after it came out, without paint, to assess whether AMT had made progress in improving the quality of their newly tooled kits of the late 1970's.  My recollection was that the kit went together really well 

The kit was tooled as a joint project with the AMT Scirocco kit of the same era; much of the underbody is shared parts trees.  Round 2 reissued the Scirocco within the last several years, so we know the tooling exists. 

Those of you who read the other model magazine should check out my fairly recent "Classic Kits" column review of the AMT Rabbit, it contains some pretty interesting "insider info" about the kit from back in the day, and a published quote from the soon-thereafter AMT-Lesney-Matchbox product manager discussing the market (non)results of the kit....

TIM 

I built the Amt Rabbit about 20 years ago. Found it at a swap meet for about $5. The box had mildew and dead roaches in it. It went together very well, and had decent enough detail. Too bad I no longer have it. When I got divorced I took my Jeep, my tools, and my guns. When I went back for my models most were trashed. I'll find another one someday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It was not a good seller? Try to pick one up now. It's impossible to find one at a reasonable price. 

This is probably your best bet for online, I would jump on it,   very nice kit,

https://www.squadron.com/Revell-USA-1-24-VW-Rabbit-California-Wheels-RM43-p/rm4333.htm

I did a What's In The Box video you can view here.

https://youtu.be/zuRDxEqDNeA

Edited by martinfan5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slusher said:

What’s in the box video will not open...

My mistake, try it now,  I had it set as private as I haven't scheduled when it will air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, martinfan5 said:

This is probably your best bet for online, I would jump on it,   very nice kit,

https://www.squadron.com/Revell-USA-1-24-VW-Rabbit-California-Wheels-RM43-p/rm4333.htm

I did a What's In The Box video you can view here.

https://youtu.be/zuRDxEqDNeA

Jonathan, thank you. But, a local vendor I deal with regularly has indicated he's got one I can have for $23. Without shipping I should come out better than even Squadron's great price. But, I sure appreciate you letting me know about Squadron's deal on the kit. That is a very good price. 

Edited by unclescott58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 3:22 AM, martinfan5 said:

This is probably your best bet for online, I would jump on it,   very nice kit,

https://www.squadron.com/Revell-USA-1-24-VW-Rabbit-California-Wheels-RM43-p/rm4333.htm

I did a What's In The Box video you can view here.

https://youtu.be/zuRDxEqDNeA

thanks for the link, if the shipping aint too high I'll be having one of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

thanks for the link, if the shipping aint too high I'll be having one of them

Shipping will be $25.95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I am totally down for that Gangbusters Lincoln, but only for the figures, guns, motorcycle, and other goodies. I'll probably trade the car itself off. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Chrysler imperial and all the extras !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Oh I am totally down for that Gangbusters Lincoln, but only for the figures, guns, motorcycle, and other goodies. I'll probably trade the car itself off. :lol:

I didn't see any lincolns there.  Too bad, you got my hopes up for a moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few of the past issues of that Imperial, but none of them have the motorcycle. I may grab a new one just for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than the stock Chrysler straight-8 , what options are there ? I didn't see anything on the parts' layout on the box's bottom which would indicate / allude to an optional engine .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I didn't see any lincolns there.  Too bad, you got my hopes up for a moment.

Oops, looks like it's an Imperial. Shows you how much attention I paid to the car. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Other than the stock Chrysler straight-8 , what options are there ? I didn't see anything on the parts' layout on the box's bottom which would indicate / allude to an optional engine .

I think the options are the motorcycle, figures, guns, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bucky said:

I have a few of the past issues of that Imperial, but none of them have the motorcycle. I may grab a new one just for that.

I bought an original last year just for the motorcycle ..... I feel cheated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That little motorcycle is one of my grails! Hot Dog! Can finally score one for not a small fortune and not resin!
Oh, and the Imperial could be used in a small chase scene diorama with the 27 ford T police car! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one of those Original Imperials about 12 years ago just for the Motorcycle, Dale. I'm glad to have it. It's a nice kit. Now I can build one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...