Model Cars Magazine Forum

13 years on MCM, & 10,000 post

I was surprised to see myself so high  on the list. I had an idea on my count but never figured it mattered. I began to think about how it got that high. I joined in 2012. Having built models for a very long time I was happy to find this site and see all the great builders here. I learned a lot since being here, I like it here. I have made some friends here. But why so many comments ? Well, I am retired and perhaps spend more time here than a lot of others. That could account for so many posts. I also build and post quite a few models both on the bench and under glass. That could add to a post count. I reply to most comments I get with a simple "thank you'". That would account for some posts. Should I/we not do that ?  I also give feed back to many of the posts by other people. Sometimes just a nice " looks great ! or "nice work ". Should I/we not do that ? I think the people here like to get a little comment like that. I like to give a little encouragement . I don't see post counts as a competition and I don't care if I have the most or the least post. I simply like being here and the great people that are always willing to help others.

You guys amaze me everyday. You want to know how posts counts get so high, it's because you take a very simple topic and jump the train off the tracks, take the train to the beach and see if you can make it float. that is how far off track this has gotten. I am a work so I can't get to deep into this.

Locked while we sort out what needs to be done here.

• Xingu locked this topic

Well, well, well. That was(n't) fun. But necessary. Judgements about quality are necessarily subjective. I think our interests are well served if we assume, until demonstrated otherwise, that people are posting things they think are valuable. The notion that you could ever reduce a concept like quality to something as simple as a single number, be it postings, or something else, is prima facie absurd. 

I don't think anyone is dominating the conversation. The total posts for the top 25 posters barely makes it to 10% of the total content on the board. We have a large, and active community. I'm very grateful for that, and it makes my volunteer work here very worthwhile indeed. 

I'm going to unlock the topic, but please, if you see an ideological rabbit hole, don't immediately jump in. If you're lucky, there will only be a rabbit in there who will kick you in the face. But more than likely, there will be a badger. It will not be in a good mood because badgers are never in a good mood. All you will get is a bloody fight. 

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Xingu said:

you take a very simple topic and jump the train off the tracks, take the train to the beach and see if you can make it float

18 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

if you see an ideological rabbit hole, don't immediately jump in. If you're lucky, there will only be a rabbit in there who will kick you in the face. But more than likely, there will be a badger. It will not be in a good mood because badgers are never in a good mood all you will get is a bloody fight. 

These are some of the best analogies I’ve read in a long time.  

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Judgements about quality are necessarily subjective. I think our interests are well served if we assume, until demonstrated otherwise, that people are posting things they think are valuable. The notion that you could ever reduce a concept like quality to something as simple as a single number, be it postings, or something else, is prima facie absurd. 

I don't think anyone is dominating the conversation. The total posts for the top 25 posters barely makes it to 10% of the total content on the board. We have a large, and active community. I'm very grateful for that, and it makes my volunteer work here very worthwhile indeed. 

Thank you Dave!

Well said.

Steve

10 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Well, well, well. That was(n't) fun. But necessary. Judgements about quality are necessarily subjective. I think our interests are well served if we assume, until demonstrated otherwise, that people are posting things they think are valuable. The notion that you could ever reduce a concept like quality to something as simple as a single number, be it postings, or something else, is prima facie absurd. 

I'm going to unlock the topic, but please, if you see an ideological rabbit hole, don't immediately jump in. If you're lucky, there will only be a rabbit in there who will kick you in the face. But more than likely, there will be a badger. It will not be in a good mood because badgers are never in a good mood. All you will get is a bloody fight. 

Thanks.

No one wants badgers. 

Edited by Can-Con

13 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I have 14k and maybe 50 of those were quality posts?

LOL.

(Oh, wait. Was this a quality post?  Oh, well.  Whatever. It’s my post and I’m proud of it.)

I’m Danno and I approved this post.

?

On 8/7/2020 at 8:00 AM, Xingu said:

You guys amaze me everyday. You want to know how posts counts get so high, it's because you take a very simple topic and jump the train off the tracks, take the train to the beach and see if you can make it float. that is how far off track this has gotten. I am a work so I can't get to deep into this.

Locked while we sort out what needs to be done here.

95c96cf415eb8b959ec4f2444eda8229.jpg

25 minutes ago, slusher said:

Dan,  it’s good to see you on more lately!!

Thanks, Carl.  

Been big changes in life. More empty time for self-entertainment; thus, more time online.

Don't have much quality wisdom to  impart but maybe I can buy some on Amazon.

I'm Danno and I approved this post; #16,305.

?