Model Cars Magazine Forum

Overall I like the design, a take on the full width '70/'71 Torino GT light would look good, something to fill that big back area. Kinda surprises me that after all the reworking of all the other lines and details he just threw Camaro lights back there almost like an afterthought just to be different. Those wheels though...  Looks like he was looking at a gas stove burner grate for inspiration. All the wheel/tire ideas posted would look much better. 

Edited by Phirewriter

One thing that gets overlooked in these discussions.  The customer choose the final end result.  A discussion was had for what they wanted and several designs were presented and this was the choice. Same applies to the wheels.  Its not what we want or even what Foose wanted but its what the customer wants.

21 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Bunkie Knudsen was a GM guy so there was some styling influence from what I’ve read.  Having owed my 72 Mach1 for almost 40 years it’s grown on me but not sure I’d feel that way about Iacocca’s  Mustang II. 😁  Anyway, Does anyone know what happens to the cars he makes?  Do they end up selling at an auction?  I think I’d rather “invest” in a original 1971 Boss 351 or 429CJ Mustang convertible.  I would not mind seeing some styling exercises in 1/25 from others using the AMT or MPC kits.

I do remember some of the things from a styling standpoint that came about when Me. Knudsen went too Ford along with one of his head designers. I don't remember the gentleman's name but my understanding is that he was responsible for much of the styling and in particular the rear window louvers for the Boss Mustangs. As for making a model of Fooses's build or replication any of the Boss Mustangs or CJ cars should be an interesting project for a model. 

Generally I stay outta' subjects like this, as styling is always subjective. But, to my eyes:

His attempt at modernizin' the SHELBY wheel failed miserably. Some slight lip stagger (offset) might help 'em, but then again maybe not. Since he was in the SHELBY rippin'-off mood, maybe he could have used a styled version of the Cougar/'67 GT500 tail light to help fill that big-ol' booty panel. Stickin' with one style of striping would also help, not a combo of two different styles. While Gray is overdone these days, the shade (again, in my eyes only) seems to help smooth out this year group body lines.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:04 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I personally am not completely sold on this car. Certain elements bother me. But I want to hear your opinions.

So let 'er rip!!!

mf1-768x473.jpg.03ebccdb7df09b0c68369cac84ecbaf2.jpg

DLEDMV-2K18-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Chip-Foose-MachFoose-24.jpg.da9a85c65856b39199602708f4e06360.jpg

The '71-'73 Mustangs are my least favorite of all Mustangs.  In generally, I believe they're like the frozen tundra or the State Department: Any change you could make would be an improvement:lol:

So, overall, I like this thing.  The wheels are much too big. It would look better on 16" wheels. 

Also, I liked the rear end treatment until I realized that the taillights are right out of a '69 RS Camaro. No! NO! That is just sick and wrong! :blink::angry:  He should have scratchbuilt taillights of the same shape, but larger all around. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

I do remember some of the things from a styling standpoint that came about when Me. Knudsen went too Ford along with one of his head designers. I don't remember the gentleman's name but my understanding is that he was responsible for much of the styling and in particular the rear window louvers for the Boss Mustangs. As for making a model of Fooses's build or replication any of the Boss Mustangs or CJ cars should be an interesting project for a model. 

That would be Larry Shinoda.

Edited by sfhess

On 3/5/2021 at 9:04 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

mf1-768x473.jpg.03ebccdb7df09b0c68369cac84ecbaf2.jpg

167182842.jpg.6c3628e185a5ab97f2f1554fbd9f2fdf.jpg

DLEDMV-2K18-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Chip-Foose-MachFoose-24.jpg.da9a85c65856b39199602708f4e06360.jpg

So here's my take on his work.

I hate the color, it does nothing for the sporty nature of a Mustang. Gives it the look of grandpa's Cadillac. The stripes are supposed to mimic the Mach1 stripes, but they run right over the wheel openings and wrap back over the roof - splitting the car in half and not emphasizing the styling at all. Better to have done nothing, than to throw lines on it for the sake of color. Maybe they hide bad paint touchups?

The taillights look like junkyard pulls, tacked onto the rear end just as if that was all he had. The fact that he cribbed it from a competitor's car only slaps the Ford marque in the face.

Design of the wheels reminds me of a blade from a chop-O-matic.

Rear quarter panels look tacked on, overweight and don't even match the shape of this generation pony. They angle out in the wrong direction. 

The front "mouth" looks like it has fangs under a chrome Snidley Whiplash moustache. 

I think Ol' Chip is getting too full of his own status and not really styling cars to improve their appearance anymore. 

27 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Probably the lowest price you will find one.

02985B44-36EE-4A8D-B697-6D35A6C3A6D1.png

i  have  the rest of the parts cept the wheels and tires   which are fine   the body  was  broken in three places  and the pieces were missing when i got it  both front windshield pillars and the lower half of the left  rear quarter panel i  havested what was usible from the body and discarded the rest of it  i  saved the front  quarter panels/front end    and the tail light panel   
i wonder if the new 007  71 mustang kit is the old lindberg kit with a 73  mustang ram air  hood it would not be surprissing with round 2 to cut corners like that 

Edited by michelle

I remember this car. It's about 5 years old now I think. 

Hmm...overall, I kind of like it. not how I would modify that car, but I kinda like it.

The tail lights are a fail in my eyes though. At the very least, I'd have stuck with the Ford parts bin for those.

The wheels I actually like, but they're too big. I'm guessing 18" or 19"? Those wheels in a smaller diameter would look better. Especially if he could have added some dish to them, especially in the rear.

And the car sits too high. At least partially because of the wheels. Front end especially needs to come down.

23 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I remember this car. It's about 5 years old now I think. 

Hmm...overall, I kind of like it. not how I would modify that car, but I kinda like it.

The tail lights are a fail in my eyes though. At the very least, I'd have stuck with the Ford parts bin for those.

The wheels I actually like, but they're too big. I'm guessing 18" or 19"? Those wheels in a smaller diameter would look better. Especially if he could have added some dish to them, especially in the rear.

And the car sits too high. At least partially because of the wheels. Front end especially needs to come down.

i would think the wheels are 20s maybe 22s  

responding to OP. For me, the wheels are horrible, and look like some of the Mattel HotWheels wheels. I also do not like the side stripe breaking through the wheel well. Otherwise, the body work itself is ok, but I agree with several posters that perhaps a wider hip over the rear wheels would look better. Mostly tho, I find the wheels and stripe so awful they are distracting. 

2 hours ago, michelle said:

i  have  the rest of the parts cept the wheels and tires   which are fine   the body  was  broken in three places  and the pieces were missing when i got it  both front windshield pillars and the lower half of the left  rear quarter panel i  havested what was usible from the body and discarded the rest of it  i  saved the front  quarter panels/front end    and the tail light panel   
i wonder if the new 007  71 mustang kit is the old lindberg kit with a 73  mustang ram air  hood it would not be surprissing with round 2 to cut corners like that 

The 007 “AMT” kit is the original MPC 1971-1973  Mustang annual kit with a few changes but includes parts from the Warren Tope race version and a Boss 429 engine.  The Lindberg kit is based on the Palmer kit that have “styling” from a 70 and 71 Mustang and like Mr. Foose is apt to do has some other custom touches but you have to supply your own Camaro taillights. 😆

Edited by vamach1

8 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

The 007 “AMT” kit is the original MPC 1971-1973  Mustang annual kit with a few changes but includes parts from the Warren Tope race version and a Boss 429 engine.  The Lindberg kit is based on the Palmer kit that have “styling” from a 70 and 71 Mustang and like Mr. Foose is apt to do has some other custom touches but you have to supply your own Cameron taillights. 😆

ok i  figured  the 71 kit was modified into the last release of the 73  since thats what alot of  companies  do they retool  preveous year kits into the next newer year kit  
thats why they have to create  new versions of some cars   like with the 71 duster and 69 charger  and 71 charger  and some of the camaros  and  some of mustangs  cause the original tooling was changed 

Edited by michelle

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The taillights look like junkyard pulls, tacked onto the rear end just as if that was all he had. The fact that he cribbed it from a competitor's car only slaps the Ford marque in the face.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

THAT's what I'm talkin' about! :lol: