Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor trend super models

There's a guy on the spotlight board that seems to take great pleasure in sanding all the trim and character lines off of hard to find models before doing mediocre builds on them that he never finishes.

Edited by Can-Con

• 2 weeks later...

Really don’t understand all the negativism about this show (and kit bashing).   Doubt that there are many on this forum who don’t kit bash to make their model fit their specific needs.  Watched the third show last night in which Steve recreates his old 1968 hemi charger.  How many other tv shows are there that are about building model cars?

On 6/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, Can-Con said:

There's a guy on the spotlight board that seems to take great pleasure in sanding all the trim and character lines off of hard to find models before doing mediocre builds on them that he never finishes.

I know exactly who you mean!

He also has said the day he dies, all his models go in the dumpster!

Just looking for attention!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I know exactly who you mean!

He also has said the day he dies, all his models go in the dumpster!

Just looking for attention!

That's no doubt why he kept posting pics of his daughter after almost everyone told him to stop.

Tom's told me he's tried to ban him several times but he keeps finding a way to get around it. Said he even posted as a female for a time. 

Edited by Can-Con

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, Snake45 said:

I won't disagee as long as he's hacking up common, readily available kits. It bothers me that he might be encouraging others to do the same thing to rare old irreplaceable kits or buildups. 

Ah, the irony!

For years I hear cries of "it's my kit, I'll do as I please",

To,"They'll ruin all the old kits!"

To that I respectfully reply:

"It's their kits, they can do what they want with them. They were meant to be built".

uploads-7.jpg.3fce4f913f26f064d20dfbb81d292825.jpg

None of the kits he used were in any way old, rare or valuable. At least not yet. In 20 years - who knows? At least he's being creative and having fun with them. For that, I admire his work.

No different than what we do here.

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Ah, the irony!

None of the kits he used were in any way old, rare or valuable. At least not yet. In 20 years - who knows? At least he's being creative and having fun with them. For that, I admire his work.

No different than what we do here.

You're saying basically the same thing I said. Where's the "irony"? :unsure:

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You're saying basically the same thing I said. Where's the "irony"? :unsure:

Actually, I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was just commenting on how so many folks defiantly say they're going to build their old kits however they want to, but get peeved if somebody else glue bombs a kit they don't have.

That's the irony!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't quite know where to post this so I put it here.  For those that get the Motor Trend show on their cable TV, Steve Magnante has a new show called "Super Models" and yes, it's about building model cars.

This just blew me away.  Finally a show dedicated to our obsessive hobby.

• Like 1

IMO, this would have been a perfect fit in the General Automotive Talk section (where all sorts of similar thugs are discussed).  It is for "For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY. Both trucks and cars are appropriate topics."

I posted in general section about a month ago.  Oddly, not that many people were impressed with the show and, some, incredibly, berated it for kit bashing old kits.  Geez, like we don’t all steal parts from other kits that we have.  I thought it was a great show and I don’t know how you cannot like Steve and his encyclopedic brain.

• Thanks 1

I have it set to record but have not watched it yet, Reserving opinions until then 

edit: just watched the first show Not super impressed. I don't think I would have used a lighter to heat up the rear springs to bend them ,In my experiences it would get overheated and turn into a plastic twizzle Only take away for me was the 4 muffler setup 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

My take is that whenever our hobby (or any for that matter) is portrayed on the screen as a good and wholesome activity, that's a good thing.  There are plenty of movies and TV shows that depict characters who are into model cars or trains as childish or evil. 

Whether we agree with the host's build style or not, this is good PR.  There aren't many TV shows dedicated to building models.  One series I can recall was aired in the late '80s/early '90s timeframe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

One series I can recall was aired in the late '80s/early '90s timeframe.

I remember the show you're talking about.... If I'm not mistaken it was on PBS. I remember one episode, they showed how to open and hinge a door on a molded in brown F150... (does that sound right?)

As far as this show goes, maybe some folks will pick up the hobby inspired by it.... No publicity is bad publicity....

Adventures In Scale Model Building  (pieces of the series are on YT. Hit the YouTube logo at the lower-right for the other segments available)  I seem to recall a segment involving the Johnstown Incline railway (funicular) but I don't see it among the playlist.

Honestly I'm not sure how the style of this old show would play with today's audiences.  But that's the thing.  You have to engage a viewer that may not know much about the hobby.  Steve's show may not be aimed at those of us who "know everything" so to speak about the hobby.  Our hobby isn't as visible to the general public like it used to be, so any exposure is good.

I agree that the exposure is good. I find it amusing that there is wringing of hands and grinding of teeth that the hobby is going away. Now we have a show that might generate some interest in the hobby and some complain that he's not doing the right way(their way). M8dels are meant to be built in a way that pleases us. An unbuilt model is not serving that purpose.