Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Are you one of the two people Niteowl says works for Round2?

@SteveG seems to be the go-to social media person for Rond2's automotive news, so I'm sure once he's able to make it public, he will. @pack rat ain't spilling the beans early, either. 🤔😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

@SteveG seems to be the go-to social media person for Rond2's automotive news, so I'm sure once he's able to make it public, he will. @pack rat ain't spilling the beans early, either. 🤔😁

Thanks Casey. I thought it was Niteowl that was the insider, maybe he just knows where to look or who to chat up?

42 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

The Cuda in Nash bridges was a hardtop. The show cut the roof off to make it a convertible clone.

RM did the Nash Bridges Cuda whenever it was current too. 
John Wick Mustang? New Charger can come with pic of upside down one at heliport too!

40 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Fun guessing isn't?...bet the guys at Round2 are having a good laugh, ha!

😁😉🤣😎

Especially the part where "movie" has now been transformed into any TV show people can remotely think of that might have once had a car on screen...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Only two company's I would want doing it, Tamiya of course and I think Hasegawa would do it justice.

I'd trust Aoshima or Ebbro with it as well. Revell is another possibility as their recent run of European classics (with the exception of the E-Type FHC roof) have been quite nice. 

Tamiya or Ebbro would be the front runners though. Imagining a DB5 done to the standard of those Citroen DS's is modeling bliss.

37 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

I'd trust Aoshima or Ebbro with it as well. Revell is another possibility as their recent run of European classics (with the exception of the E-Type FHC roof) have been quite nice. 

Tamiya or Ebbro would be the front runners though. Imagining a DB5 done to the standard of those Citroen DS's is modeling bliss.

If you think that $50 price tag on the remodeled Ecto was a gut clencher, you don't want to see what something with Aston Martin licensing would have to cost. There's a reason that Tamiya kit disappeared out of the catalog and will almost certainly never see the light of day again. 

36 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you think that $50 price tag on the remodeled Ecto was a gut clencher, you don't want to see what something with Aston Martin licensing would have to cost. There's a reason that Tamiya kit disappeared out of the catalog and will almost certainly never see the light of day again. 

I don't balk at premium prices on premium kits. I balk at premium prices on barely modified reissues of ancient kits that are then abandoned AFTER the kit has already been sold through traditional channels. 

For that matter, it's worth noting that the Tamiya kit was produced and licensed while Aston Martin was under completely different ownership. The current Canadian owners of Aston Martin may be more amenable to licensing discussion than David Richards' Prodrive group was.

And while we're on the subject of pricing, Tamiya's reissue of the FULL DETAIL Z31 Nissan 300ZX Turbo just hit my distributor with an MSRP of $31 and the all-new FULL DETAIL 2nd gen Subaru BRZ has an MSRP of $46. I think I'm still quite justified in being virulently upset that Round 2 wants me to place a totally uncompetitive MSRP of $54.95 on the Surf Shark Ambulance.

Edited by Justin Porter

33 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

I don't balk at premium prices on premium kits. I balk at premium prices on barely modified reissues of ancient kits that are then abandoned AFTER the kit has already been sold through traditional channels. 

For that matter, it's worth noting that the Tamiya kit was produced and licensed while Aston Martin was under completely different ownership. The current Canadian owners of Aston Martin may be more amenable to licensing discussion than David Richards' Prodrive group was.

And while we're on the subject of pricing, Tamiya's reissue of the FULL DETAIL Z31 Nissan 300ZX Turbo just hit my distributor with an MSRP of $31 and the all-new FULL DETAIL 2nd gen Subaru BRZ has an MSRP of $46. I think I'm still quite justified in being virulently upset that Round 2 wants me to place a totally uncompetitive MSRP of $54.95 on the Surf Shark Ambulance.

Full...ish detail. That's a nearly 100% markup from the price the 300Z was the last time it was in the catalog and was an $18 kit. It has an engine insert you plug a couple of pieces on top of, which is the same case for both the 2012 and 2020 Boxer Twins kits. But that's neither here nor there. I also don't think your wrong to be angry about the Hearse Surf Wagon, particularly if that whole Wal*Mart thing was a legit price and not a mislabeled (or switched) price tag.

But the DBS was a $75 MSRP kit when it came out, and the ABER P/E kit was over $100. The licensing at A-M is now even more out of control, which is why despite there being a strong demand for the kit - prices online for them START at $200 these days - Tamiya is probably never going to reissue it. The costs are just far to high to deal with it.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Especially the part where "movie" has now been transformed into any TV show people can remotely think of that might have once had a car on screen...

It’s called “fun”. We don’t know, NDA’s work, and Colombo started as a movie pilot. Sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1