Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chevy hardtop wagon.

carbuilder1950

This is a lower portion of the1960 Chevy Impala body from a Revell kit, and the upper half with all the windows is from a Jimmy Flintstone resin body, and I married the 2 together to get this hardtop wagon.

I've never seen a station wagon with a continental kit, so I thought I'd give it a shot and see what it looks like, and I gave her a hardtop look also. Paint is nothing fancy. Just Tamiya white and rubbed out.

I think it's OK.

For the rear side windows I used clear ear swab packaging that has the perfect roundness to fit where the body is rounded. Gotta be imaginative sometimes - LOL

Thanks for taking the time to look. So much appreciated 👍.

007.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Very attractive! Not the first '60 hardtop wagon model, though - way back when an Argentinan toy company called "Bichi" cobbled a couple AMT promos together, copied them and created this:

897387794_bichiimpala.jpg.fe1b036b11f1bad4d8ce11138e88eb0f.jpg

1389977654_bichiimpalaback.jpg.52e1d40e4eb0ca796f309d5b64be29c1.jpg

You sure are right there @ChrisBcritter

Mine for sure isn't the first 1960 chevy wagon.

It's just my take on how one would look, and the fun I'd have building it, and I threw in the continental kit to see how she'd look, just for fun. Not very practical, but I like it.

Thanks for stoppin' by and checkin' my old  girl out.

Edited by carbuilder1950

Wow, that is so cool! And, you're underselling how much work was involved to pull it off. Like, scribing the revised door lines in the Revell lower body, cobbling together the interior, etc, etc. You make it sound and look easy; the finished product is so nice. I bet the build photos would make peoples eyes pop. 😀. Very well done, David! I like the '58 hub caps too. Now, don't forget to put an upper radiator hose on there before you take it for spin. 😋

-TIM-

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Wow, that is so cool! And, you're underselling how much work was involved to pull it off. Like, scribing the revised door lines in the Revell lower body, cobbling together the interior, etc, etc. You make it sound and look easy; the finished product is so nice. I bet the build photos would make peoples eyes pop. 😀. Very well done, David! I like the '58 hub caps too. Now, don't forget to put an upper radiator hose on there before you take it for spin. 😋

-TIM-

@Hoffman

Yeah, I just noticed this morning that the radiator hose was MIA.

I'll have to find a hose and get my old girl in working order.

Thanks for the heads up Tim 👍

Beautiful looking Wagon. I wish someone would offer that top again. You blended everything to gather with an OEM type finish. Chevrolet didn't offer a hardtop wagon, but they should have looking at this. The Continental kit wouldn't have worked on a 1:1 since it wouldn't allow the Tail Gate to drop down all the way, but it does look cool. Nice hood hinges and the engine again looks like a factory unit. 

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David!

Another beauty, bravo! Your hood hinge system is very simple, and very clever! I'll try it on a future build...

CT 

@Claude Thibodeau my friend.

That's a really simple hinge I used there. I use several variations of that hinge with still a simple design.

I make them so the hinges are poseable. A simple little trick I've used over the years.

I'd love to see your version.

Dave