Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who doesn't love a mock-up? Let's see yours!


Recommended Posts

Great idea for a topic, one of my favourite parts of the building process. Mock is essential to check idea's, fitment of parts and monitoring progress. 

I can see myself posting a lot in this thread. And I will always bring something different.

The kit.

wGjsKFH.jpg

rjSAiNv.jpg

3OlnqsU.jpg

krHSA3t.jpg

The wheels.

Aoshima%20VXS%20110%20wheels.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, since I just did a quick mock of my Camaro in base coat…

B1CF5B6E-7FBF-4A8A-B05D-6A074289FA8B.thumb.jpeg.54c8f021b28c8930fb788624aa526764.jpeg
2DB72FE1-8C7E-45BF-A51F-C420B9EE294A.thumb.jpeg.a6f7a5df3b51bc28cd83fac0ffd0671b.jpeg
Luke, it’s your favourite TS 14, just not nearly as smooth as you do. It will get a handful of colour coats on top, then I’ll smooth it out.

I like doing mocks too. It’s always fun diving into the parts bins and drawers looking for the right combo. Of course stance is everything….

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neat thread idea Ryan. Currently on my workbench as WIPs are the Corvair Funny Car, the 63 Vette, and the 57 Bel Air. Especially with builds that require a certain amount of scratchbuilding, mocking up with a PVA type of glue for ease of disassembly is a must to ensure proper a proper fit. Switching to a BBC from the kit Hemi in the Corvair required of lot of testing and fitting that would not have been possible without mocking up the assembly a few times.

Cheers Misha

1E9898A1-39FB-4C3B-9E61-86039364418F.jpeg.0ac6cefaa00d9009e57215f3d1ac5b4a.jpeg

7B22A46B-7FAA-47B2-9B83-727DF9F72258.jpeg.01e137da200ef42168ddf9d55236e1d1.jpeg

9F9E6316-74E6-4371-823F-B44A9921A40C.jpeg.275df49952b6ce1d823b395d484d9460.jpeg

D38F98DE-3A86-45D0-984F-BB18540A6300.jpeg.871d3f8c6e0d75340cb55773adcda121.jpeg

F74A3BF9-DA77-4818-A84F-FA4E5CDE065E.jpeg.20c8b8fe0ada2adfd1d15bf132a8ba96.jpeg

6FF457F6-163C-437C-91D4-28DDE6383F19.jpeg.373615d78d041cec095ea7d7707cf8d6.jpeg

C2DB4ADE-5CBF-4848-B2B7-EFE7F7A34F23.jpeg.f60e85ef4c4c4076f1bdab7e2f427813.jpeg

24902050-B76D-449C-8D90-06A88248065B.jpeg.254f1372d8556ccb9158d22038d067df.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I'd done a couple of photo alterations of images off the internet for my Backbug idea (my entry for the GSL 2019 Common Kit class entry), I still needed to see a 3D mockup to reassure myself that my photo alterations were not just some kind of unfeasible 2D optical illusion. What made it work was when I saw how I could slice off a bit of the trunk lid and graft it onto the engine deck lid.

2142673398_BackbugMockup.JPG.ffa7a94987eaba9a00f4bc49a77933a3.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Luke, it’s your favourite TS 14, just not nearly as smooth as you do.

Good to see.

Its all in the practice and learning mate. Last count ive painted 40 cars black, so you could say ive done a lot of learning and practicing LOL!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Neat thread idea Ryan. Currently on my workbench as WIPs are the Corvair Funny Car, the 63 Vette, and the 57 Bel Air. Especially with builds that require a certain amount of scratchbuilding, mocking up with a PVA type of glue for ease of disassembly is a must to ensure proper a proper fit. Switching to a BBC from the kit Hemi in the Corvair required of lot of testing and fitting that would not have been possible without mocking up the assembly a few times.

Cheers Misha

1E9898A1-39FB-4C3B-9E61-86039364418F.jpeg.0ac6cefaa00d9009e57215f3d1ac5b4a.jpeg

7B22A46B-7FAA-47B2-9B83-727DF9F72258.jpeg.01e137da200ef42168ddf9d55236e1d1.jpeg

9F9E6316-74E6-4371-823F-B44A9921A40C.jpeg.275df49952b6ce1d823b395d484d9460.jpeg

D38F98DE-3A86-45D0-984F-BB18540A6300.jpeg.871d3f8c6e0d75340cb55773adcda121.jpeg

F74A3BF9-DA77-4818-A84F-FA4E5CDE065E.jpeg.20c8b8fe0ada2adfd1d15bf132a8ba96.jpeg

6FF457F6-163C-437C-91D4-28DDE6383F19.jpeg.373615d78d041cec095ea7d7707cf8d6.jpeg

C2DB4ADE-5CBF-4848-B2B7-EFE7F7A34F23.jpeg.f60e85ef4c4c4076f1bdab7e2f427813.jpeg

24902050-B76D-449C-8D90-06A88248065B.jpeg.254f1372d8556ccb9158d22038d067df.jpeg

Which version of the 57 Chevy is this? Snap kit and where are the wheels from..Nice all over..I hear the snapper is a nice kit but I sure don't like the wheels that come with it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Which version of the 57 Chevy is this? Snap kit and where are the wheels from..Nice all over..I hear the snapper is a nice kit but I sure don't like the wheels that come with it..

Hi Wayne, yes indeed it is the snapper kit of the 57. Quite like this kit and by swapping out the modern Halibrand style wheels (saving them for a future project) with the R/M 67 Vette Coupe rims I was able to stay with the story of the original owner’s 1969 rebuild with the vinyl top, new paint and suspension upgrade with front discs and the Vette rims. Here is the WIP thread…

While it is stalled on the workbench, there is still some work to complete on the interior and chrome trim all around, which I’m hesitant to attempt because of the issues with the current BMF. Hope to have it Under Glass shortly. By the way the 67 Coupe is about to be rereleased.

Cheers Misha

 

 

Edited by Misha
Spellin’
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's one I started a while back and need to get back to: Revell '34 Ford 3W body on the MPC '32 sedan delivery frame, engine, wheels and tires, and it will use the '32 radiator. 

AHalfbreed013.jpg.87a6b8d8e441d35b06439247a7b8bb0b.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I really, really, really have to get these finished!!!

Holy cow. What's the story on the Lola Mk6 GT on the left?  Was that actually kitted?

EDIT: Found one !

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A very nice idea for a thread, Ryan! Imo, mocking up models is essential before starting a build. Unfortunately I rarely take pictures of my mock-ups but I have few...

Heres my ´41 Lincoln Phantom Fastback after Making some body work:

856352480_41LicolnFastback.thumb.JPG.9ed881e211059f3b671478e352627eef.JPG

When I built my version of the Supernatural Impala some years ago I tried some wheel/tire combos to check the custom car or pro touring potential of the 4-door Impala:

420892625_Impala21Ts.jpg.b93a375c0cf2e5661001eff51e81e9e3.jpg

1169174381_ImpalaDaytons.jpg.57e7bc9efec3d9a2a17498df52ab9698.jpg

438310941_ImpalaDZs.jpg.0ddc7cb52ddc1fd81951743d4869e9e7.jpg

1015503304_ImpalaMiniTs.jpg.3acd7609dcd80206d59ba675582e8104.jpg

493118592_ImpalaSmoothies.jpg.d531eb0f19360cf7544f6a50ecad892c.jpg

A quick mock up of a ´49 Merc I want to do in the near future:

795263862_49Mercules.jpg.fbfa069982ff1bd2d59b261359fb7484.jpg

And finally the ´68 El Camino I going to paint next week:

1646404464_ElCleano.jpg.bc4f77fa80fb6622e449ddd540ea47ea.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...