Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

After seeing my doctor,and finding out that I definitely have Carpal tunnel Syndrome,and that I’m going to need surgery.????

Yeah, but, Ron!  It will be SO GOOD once the surgery is done and you're healed. You'll feel like -- and be -- a whole new man!!! 

Trust me.  (twice)

?

How come the simplest jobs become a major thing?  This weekend my wife reminded me that the sink in our first floor powder room was dripping. I quickly deduce it’s the cold water faucet and open it up. Rubber washer is damaged.. easy enuf?  I get out my box of washers and guess what? I have nothing that even resembles it!

Off to Lowe’s we go.. nothing like it on the racks. I ask and dept guy tells me to go to plumbing supply house. I check Hone Depot as well, no good!

I check over the entire unit, over and under.. no makers mark at all! So I take the washer and the faucet cartridge with me and check it out on my lunch hour... first question Mr Plumbing Supply House asks is, “What brand?”  If I knew that I wouldn’t be there!  

He Rummages a bit and tells me he can’t help. But if I can get make and model info he can order the entire cartridge!  

The washer I need has a unique shape. Guy at Lowe’s said it’s quite obvious it was molded that way and he’s never seen one like it.  

So tonight I will remove the entire faucet from the sink. I will go over the whole thing for clues but have a fear I’m buying a whole new faucet for the failure of a dime rubber washer!

It sucks since it’s a very pretty brass one. May have come with the house new.. leave it to Toll Brothers, makers of very nice homes while cutting every possible corner. I can only wonder where they sourced this puppy!   

I hear you - First rule of plumbing - any plumbing project, even the simplest most basic job, will take at least three trips to the hardware store...  I just resign myself to that before starting.  and I even worked in a hardware store in high school.

Went to have a look on hot rod mag website and it redirected me to motortrend. Its seems those of us in europe aren't allowed to look any more. Tried super street, lowrider and truck trend too but it was the same story. All i can look at on any motortrend site is new standard cars which have very little interest to me. Anybody able able to suggeat some non motortrend sites that feature modified cars and trucks?

18 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

How come the simplest jobs become a major thing?  This weekend my wife reminded me that the sink in our first floor powder room was dripping. I quickly deduce it’s the cold water faucet and open it up. Rubber washer is damaged.. easy enuf?  I get out my box of washers and guess what? I have nothing that even resembles it!

Off to Lowe’s we go.. nothing like it on the racks. I ask and dept guy tells me to go to plumbing supply house. I check Hone Depot as well, no good!

I check over the entire unit, over and under.. no makers mark at all! So I take the washer and the faucet cartridge with me and check it out on my lunch hour... first question Mr Plumbing Supply House asks is, “What brand?”  If I knew that I wouldn’t be there!  

He Rummages a bit and tells me he can’t help. But if I can get make and model info he can order the entire cartridge!  

The washer I need has a unique shape. Guy at Lowe’s said it’s quite obvious it was molded that way and he’s never seen one like it.  

So tonight I will remove the entire faucet from the sink. I will go over the whole thing for clues but have a fear I’m buying a whole new faucet for the failure of a dime rubber washer!

It sucks since it’s a very pretty brass one. May have come with the house new.. leave it to Toll Brothers, makers of very nice homes while cutting every possible corner. I can only wonder where they sourced this puppy!   

Builders often use weird, off-brand fixtures. Saves them money, but then impossible to repair. I've gradually switched everything here (except the shower mixing valves) to Moen. Install once and forget about it. 

Come to think about it, probably time to replace the shower valve seats and washers. 

21 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Went to have a look on hot rod mag website and it redirected me to motortrend. Its seems those of us in europe aren't allowed to look any more. Tried super street, lowrider and truck trend too but it was the same story. All i can look at on any motortrend site is new standard cars which have very little interest to me. Anybody able able to suggeat some non motortrend sites that feature modified cars and trucks?

I'm still getting a HRM website. Try here: 

https://www.hotrod.com/

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Builders often use weird, off-brand fixtures. Saves them money, but then impossible to repair. I've gradually switched everything here (except the shower mixing valves) to Moen. Install once and forget about it. 

Come to think about it, probably time to replace the shower valve seats and washers. 

True dat.

Builders get "special" deals on "special products" that lesser manufacturers can't possibly sell to anyone else.  And, the major retail players don't want to be bothered with all the varieties of inferior (it's called "builders hardware") single-use junk. Cheaper for them to carry two or three of the major brands that will represent 85% of the replacement market  . . .  and if your problem device isn't one of those mainstream (sorry about that) products, they count on you replacing it with what the sell. Therefore, they still don't have to carry "everything."

Win-win-win for everybody but the consumer.

? 

Ron, only advice I have about Carpal Tunnel. Try make sure that the Dr. who does the surgery, does lots of them. Some Hospitals or Insurers will try to have a Dr. who does 4 or 5 a year do your surgery, because he's cheaper. Don't let them do this to you. You want a Dr. who does C.T. surgery every week. AS you know,  no two surgeries are alike. A Dr. who has done hundreds is far more likely to be able to handle any "issues" that arise, than a Dr. who does only a few a year. The Surgeon who repaired my Uncles Botched First C.T. surgery told him that after fixing the first surgeon's lousy work.

Stick to your guns about who does the work. Your Ins. Co. wants fast and cheap. Don't let them bulldoze you. If it gets Botched, you'll be the one who is Crippled, not the Claims Guy (or Gal).

Many, many years ago I had Carpal Tunnel and was able to cure it with anti-inflammatory pills and a wrist brace. Took a very long time but I avoided surgery. Still remember the neurologist I was seeing and how excited he was when I told him I'm getting a little better.

I did know a couple of guys who had the surgery and it cured them. Good luck to you.

14 hours ago, Danno said:

True dat.

Builders get "special" deals on "special products" that lesser manufacturers can't possibly sell to anyone else.  And, the major retail players don't want to be bothered with all the varieties of inferior (it's called "builders hardware") single-use junk. Cheaper for them to carry two or three of the major brands that will represent 85% of the replacement market  . . .  and if your problem device isn't one of those mainstream (sorry about that) products, they count on you replacing it with what the sell. Therefore, they still don't have to carry "everything."

Win-win-win for everybody but the consumer.

?

Had my house renovated a few years back.  Specified the fixtures I wanted by brand.  Couple of years ago kitchen sink began dripping.  Took out cartridge went to Lowes, Home Depot and the local hardware store that has everything (if you can find it).  No luck on finding a replacement cartridge. Went to company website, found the faucet in question and called to order a cartridge.  They told me that particular model did not have a cartridge, I argued a bit with them because I was holding the cartridge in my hand. Anyway, wife decided she wanted a different design, so I purchased name brand one at Lowes. When I removed the old one I could not find any brand name anywhere on the unit.  Repeated the same process in bathrooms.  The contractor, whom I knew for years, allowed his son to run my project, it seems he does not have the same affection for the job his dad does.  Needless to say I will not be recommending them to do any work.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tom Geiger said:

You know since you have this faucet out why not just buy a new name brand one that you can get parts for when needed. I would even go so far as inspecting the new faucet prior to purchase to be sure it is a simple washer since this is the most common problem. I bought a plumbers gasket and washer kit at Home Depot years ago with all kinds of these parts in the kit. I have used these to fix our home faucets as needed as well as our rentals over the last twenty years. I'm sure your wife can find a new style faucet she likes better anyway. 

My house was built in 1979 and the builder installed Delta which was still in place when we bought the house in 1993. As we have remodeled and upgraded, all the new stuff has been Delta, except for one Moen. The Delta single handle "diamond" cartridges have a lifetime warranty that I have already taken advantage of.

3 hours ago, espo said:

You know since you have this faucet out why not just buy a new name brand one that you can get parts for when needed. I would even go so far as inspecting the new faucet prior to purchase to be sure it is a simple washer since this is the most common problem. I bought a plumbers gasket and washer kit at Home Depot years ago with all kinds of these parts in the kit. I have used these to fix our home faucets as needed as well as our rentals over the last twenty years. I'm sure your wife can find a new style faucet she likes better anyway. 

I have a whole box of washers and even the plumbing supply guys agree this washer is unique!  I just took off the valve stem cartridge so yes I will crawl under the sink and remove the faucet.  I will inspect it for any clues before I give up and buy a new one!

According to Hobby lobby's add Display cases are supposed to be half off this week. Ft.Wayne Indiana's HL HL I bought two cases yesterday and they sold them as what the add said 50% off. Went To the HL In Lima Ohio to buy a couple more, but was told at the register that the "model" display cases were not part of the sale. Manager was rude, after telling him that I just bout the same cases at Ft.Wayne's HL and got the 50% off. Lima lost a sale and a customer as the add don't say which display cases are on sale See add

11-1weeklyAd.jpg

Pet Valu is closing all their US locations....another victim of the pandemic

Two years ago, the local pet food pantry closed after about ten years due to a decline in donations.  More people are buying their supplies on line and getting it shipped right to the door so they stopped grabbing extra food or treats for those in need.  When the wife had her hedgehogs, we shopped Pet Valu and Pet Supplies Plus.  I get the furry foursome bagged food from Sam's (Iams) but got the canned food I mixed in from the stores previously mentioned.  (I had to stop as my aussie has a food allergy and it causes hot spots).

Humans are always quick to complain it seems but we don't always speak out when something "pleases" us. I complain to companies about a product or other things in my life but always make sure I reach out to compliment anyone when I feel the need. I think it should go both ways to be fair.

14 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Twice as many replies on here compared to  'What pleased you today"         Guess most of us are getting a bit more grumpy these days!

This thread was leading with  the most replies in this part of the forum for many years - not just "these days", until the"once upon a time" thread has taken over that honor.

In general, complaints will always exceed praises.  Just our human nature.  But I'm not complaining . . . oops, wrong thread. :)

Edited by peteski

On 11/4/2020 at 6:57 AM, stitchdup said:

they all redirect to motortrend, says something about european data laws then opens motortrend

It’s because your visiting the page from Europe and they haven’t made the necessary changes for complying with the European data laws (GDPR). Witch basically means that they must inform you of witch kind of Personal data they are collecting from you and for what purpose. And that they must erase all data they have been collecting about you if you ask them to.

You will probably be able be able to solve this by getting an VPN-service that’s makes it look like you’re located in the states. There are a lot of different VPN-services to choose from.

Bummer of a day. My next door neighbors are moving out. The wife's brothers were attacked and stabbed across the street at the Q22 bus stop on Rockaway Beach Blvd. & Beach 111th St. last Wednesday evening. The younger brother, who recently enlisted in the USMC, was killed trying to help his older brother. My condolences and prayers go out to the families. ?
Getting bad here lately. Time for me to look elsewhere.