Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Lancaster PA store had these today. Still a bunch of stock leftover from the Revell lot in February. East York PA mostly has leftover Revell stuff, but did have the AMT ‘70 Corvette. I’m annoyed that I paid full retail for the Coke ‘41 Plymouth when it was first released. 😂 I did pick up the Nova wagon and another SVT Mustang. I wish they had the surfer van!IMG_1488.thumb.jpeg.7884126e3a75ff6b97de6db1a8f58347.jpegIMG_1487.thumb.jpeg.28c539ae0fc96dbc9f5bfbc83557f858.jpegIMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.1e3061e9a4e2a68b9f5a4d510bb92ae2.jpeg

• Like 1

I hit one of the two local stores Thursday, still plenty of good stuff left.  The Ford vans dried up quickly; there weren't many to start with and I snagged two.  The Copperhead dragsters got snapped up quickly too; again, not many to start with.

Thursday they had Meyers Manx and 1/32 scale T-Birds that I hadn't seen before.  One Manx and one Ranchero added to the pile...six kits total.

I was hoping they'd have some Duplicolor sprays in.  Pep Boys has been shutting down their auto parts stores and switching to service centers only.  Apparently they started on the west coast and worked their way east...a couple of months ago they got to my area.  Ollie's hasn't had touch-up sprays in quite some time now.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:13 PM, larman said:

I went to the Merritt Island, FL store this morning, they had The '70 Corvette, Groove Boss, Coke '60 Ranchero and the Meyers Manx. They also had the 1/32 '60 Thunderbird and some Revell kits left over from the last bunch of kits. I have the old issue of the '70 Corvette that is blue on the box, but it is missing the engine, so I grabbed one of the new ones to have a complete stock kit.

Stopped in again tonight because I was in the neighborhood. Same stuff as before, but they also had the '64 Galaxie and the Surf Shark ambulance. You have to look around in the aisle because they are not all together. I grabbed a Surf Shark, which is the one I was after all along and broke down and grabbed a Grove Boss just for parts. 

Finally had a chance to stop at the Merrillville, IN store.  Had plenty of '64 Galaxies and Nova wagons.  Also had a fair number of the Model T Depot Hacks, Copperhead dragsters, and the Ford surf vans.

Picked up one of the Nova wagons as I planned. ALMOST got another of the '64 Galaxies, but reminded myself that I already have a stack of the previous releases.

About the only thing left of the Revell-Monogram stuff was a handful of snap kits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Finally had a chance to stop at the Merrillville, IN store.  Had plenty of '64 Galaxies and Nova wagons.  Also had a fair number of the Model T Depot Hacks, Copperhead dragsters, and the Ford surf vans.

Picked up one of the Nova wagons as I planned. ALMOST got another of the '64 Galaxies, but reminded myself that I already have a stack of the previous releases.

About the only thing left of the Revell-Monogram stuff was a handful of snap kits.

That’s really helpful to know, considering I’ve been debating whether to drive to Merrillville and see if they had anything I wanted.

Thank you!!!

12 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That’s really helpful to know, considering I’ve been debating whether to drive to Merrillville and see if they had anything I wanted.

Thank you!!!

All the AMT stuff is stacked in the center of the left main aisle (as you enter the store), about halfway back.  Probably had about 20 each of the Nova wagons and '64 Galaxies.  Maybe about 10 each of the Depot Hacks and Copperheads.  Only about 7 of the Ford surf vans (that one's a parts bonanza, would have got one, but I just don't have the space).

The remnants of the Revell shipment are in one of the toy aisles in the center of the store.  That entire store is a hot mess right now - looks like a tornado came through!

10 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

All the AMT stuff is stacked in the center of the left main aisle (as you enter the store), about halfway back.  Probably had about 20 each of the Nova wagons and '64 Galaxies.  Maybe about 10 each of the Depot Hacks and Copperheads.  Only about 7 of the Ford surf vans (that one's a parts bonanza, would have got one, but I just don't have the space).

The remnants of the Revell shipment are in one of the toy aisles in the center of the store.  That entire store is a hot mess right now - looks like a tornado came through!

That's even more helpful!  Couldn't ask for much more than that - appreciate it Robert!

The Ollies in Johnstown, NY had lots of the Nova wagon. The 64 Ford. The 60 Coke Ranchero. The Coke 1941 Plymouth. The 60 Thunderbird. There was another one in 1/43 scale. Model T? The Grand Slam. The delivery Model T? The Corvette. Passed on that. Molded in orange. One Mustang from the previous group. And a bunch of gassers. Copperhead dragsters. No Surf Vans. They are on the left hand side of the store as you walk up the middle isle. 

Edited by ewetwo

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

The Ollies in Johnstown, NY had lots of the Nova wagon. The 64 Ford. The 60 Coke Ranchero. The Coke 1941 Plymouth. The 60 Thunderbird. There was another one in 1/43 scale. Model T? The Grand Slam. The delivery Model T? The Corvette. Passed on that. Molded in orange. One Mustang from the previous group. And a bunch of gassers. Copperhead dragsters. No Surf Vans. They are on the left hand side of the store as you walk up the middle isle. 

What gasser kit would that be? 

I have been checking several Ollie’s.

The one nearest to me (Hatboro, PA) put their kits out late- just a few days ago. They had the Copperhead, Nova Wagon, ‘70 Corvette, ‘64 Galaxie, 41 Plymouth, Slammer Chrysler Concorde, Depot Hack, and some Revell leftovers. 

Bristol, PA probably had the most I have seen in one place- all of the kits above, pretty much. 

Hamilton, NJ had a few, Meyers Manx, Camaro 50’s, Slammer Chrysler Concordes, but only one Surf Van left (I bought it), but they also had Coke Dodge D-50 Pickups, which I have not seen mentioned before on this thread. It looks like they put out new boxes of Dodge Ram VTS pickups and Vipers, which I thought were leftovers, but they seemed to be newly put out. 

I have been checking in at Media, PA, since I have been down there a few times the past few weeks. They only have Revell stuff left over from the last round. Interestingly though, they had some Testors “Camo” paint (flat black and flat gray), for $1.99 a can. I picked some of that up, I’m assuming that it’s just flat model enamel. 

Will the Testors Camo paint work like their other flat hobby enamels? 

It's been a couple of weeks or more since I stopped at my local Ollie's. Today I went back hoping they had some 70 Vettes or Myers Manx left. Nope. All gone. Not wanting to leave empty handed, I bought a 1/32 60 Tbird. Not sure it was worth $12.99 plus tax, but it'll be a fun change of pace hopefully. 

I also checked the Merritt Island. Fl. store, this is what was there:

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Also, my nephew called me yesterday while he was at the Ollie's on Tilghman St. in Allentown, Pa. It looks like they got about the same as what is pictured above, but he said they also had the Fruehauf Ratfink trailer, 1/32 '32 Ford coupe, Concorde Slammer and Coca Cola '41 Plymouth. It seems likely that we may see more kits between now and Christmas, I guess we will see! FWIW, as a public service message, I bought the Groove Boss last time I was at Ollie's and even for parts, it is a turd of a kit IMO. I guess there are $13 worth of parts, but I don't recommend this kit unless you really love circle track cars and even then, I don't think there is too much that is correct about it. 

Edited by larman
  • Like 2