Model Cars Magazine Forum

Selling on the Forum - Poll

Selling on the Forum  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should selling be allowed on the forum?

• Allow selling
    • Keep selling off the forum

As I understand it selling was not permitted because of the presence of the eModelCars website. Since that website is long gone would you like to see selling permitted now?

Edited by afx

As the survival of the magazine most likely depends on advertising revenue, I'd tend to think that if selling were allowed here, it should have at least a minimal fee attached.

While I'm well aware that most aftermarket suppliers are cottage industries and simply can't afford much, it seems only fair that, to get world-wide exposure on a dedicated car-modeling site, some kind of reasonable fee would be...reasonable.

As the survival of the magazine most likely depends on advertising revenue, I'd tend to think that if selling were allowed here, it should have at least a minimal fee attached.

While I'm well aware that most aftermarket suppliers are cottage industries and simply can't afford much, it seems only fair that, to get world-wide exposure on a dedicated car-modeling site, some kind of reasonable fee would be...reasonable.

I agree with Bill. I don’t know if Gregg has the time or interest in developing something here, though. Seems he put a lot of work into eModelcars and that never really took off. 

Actually, there is quite a bit of “advertising” and company links that happen here all the time, without any compensation (that I know of). 

Are you thinking selling by individuals, like a “to trade” thread, only “for sale”? Or a way for people to buy from companies and recognize the source of business via payments to the forum owner? 

Much to consider, I guess. I would be open to a “for sale” thread but can also imagine a world of troubles associated with “moderating” it. 

There are countless places on the web to buy/sell models. Why clutter up this site? I'm an admin on my club's Facebook page and we do not allow buy/sell/trades; too much drama, too much babysitting, too much clutter would be the result if we allowed it...and there are countless buy/sell/trade pages littering Facebook already. Our hobby sadly seems to be way too focused on buying/collecting/selling/trading vs. actually building.

The big potential problem I see is who will police the bad actors?  Plus there will always be sales that go sideways for a variety of reasons and none of them are nefarious.  This will have to be addressed as well.

I do not have any skin in this as I will not sell and likely will not buy, but these are things someone will have to consider and whether a person or people have the time to take care of them.

A final point is that there have been exhausting threads by board members who felt they were cheated by a vendor when a sale did not go well.  Is that something the owners of this site want?

Edited by Jim N

Paypal includes dispute resolution with it's service. This would be the mechanism to resolve issues between parties. Forum Admins would not need to be involved.

Edited by afx

Most forums that I've been to that involve a physical item have some sort of selling section, so I don't see why here can't be any different. Besides, why can't the forum and its moderators just say that the people involved are on their own and the forum is not responsible for any issues? Just use the "good traders" section as a reference.

Edited by Jordan White

Paypal includes dispute resolution with it's service. This would be the mechanism to resolve issues between the parties. 

You are correct if Paypal is required for every transaction.  My only point is that there are pitfalls and pratfalls to allowing selling on the site and I merely brought a few up.  As I stated, I don't have any skin in this, and the owners of this site can do what they wish.

There are countless places on the web to buy/sell models. Why clutter up this site? I'm an admin on my club's Facebook page and we do not allow buy/sell/trades; too much drama, too much babysitting, too much clutter would be the result if we allowed it...and there are countless buy/sell/trade pages littering Facebook already. Our hobby sadly seems to be way too focused on buying/collecting/selling/trading vs. actually building.

I hafta agree with Bob as many so call modelers are focused on buying  and selling kits. If we were to have sales allowed on this forum it will cause problems down the road as I can see it now.

If someone wants to buy or sell, they can do it off the board and in private once they contact each other. 

No, I would not support open selling or buying. Mainly because I hate threads about people getting burned and the bad mouthing that follows it. 

Trading is a greater risk as you have no mechanism to resolve disputes.  I know I've gotten burned before. If you use a buying service you do have a mechanism if a deal goes wrong.

Edited by afx

NO. That can open a huge can of worms. The form post version of spam mail come to mind. All facebook groups I'm into that allowed selling, were inundated with posts of stuff for sale. Here it will use the picture space that was created when PB went to the dark side. Paying a fee would work, but would also require a 24/7 moderator just to enforce the stuff for sale.

Today there is already some posts I think are pure advertisement in the workbench area, where a guy posts 3D stuff that he makes, along with offering the product, and not a single real build picture or WIP. 

Not here nor on FB.  The cars and other things I've tried to sell on FB (Stove) just ended up being a hassle.   Someone says they will buy, then disappears.  As much as I don't like ebay, they have it down pat.  And yes, they get a goodly chunk of your money as a seller.  But the transaction gets completed without having to message back and forth for days while someone decides what they want to do - or tying up other offers after they say they will take something and then disappearing.  No sense in making this a war zone with folks bringing anger to other posts over something in a sale transaction.  

If allowed, post the item then go to emails.  Still a lot of room for folks to want revenge for a bad transaction.  

• Gregg locked this topic