Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobbico - BANKRUPT!

A company that makes plastic model kits, buying up moulds for plastic model kits just so they can make more plastic model kits? I know, too simple, too obvious.  I'm sure the real reason has to do with some nefarious plan to undermine American society. No doubt plans are already afoot to melt down those Model A moulds in order to make that hotly anticipated Borgward Isabella kit.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, slusher said:

Waiting for a statement from the new owners is hard. While we wait we get all kind of scenarios going tru our heads,I know I do. I still enjoy reading this topic. 

The problem is, in the world we live in now where news travels around the world literally in seconds, one persons hypothesis or speculation here quickly turns into "facts" elsewhere. It's like the worst game of "telephone" ever.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, slusher said:

Waiting for a statement from the new owners is hard. While we wait we get all kind of scenarios going tru our heads,I know I do. I still enjoy reading this topic. 

I am passing the time while we wait to hear to more, by, and I know this is shocking, but building models.........................:lol:

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I am passing the time while we wait to hear to more, by, and I know this is shocking, but building models.........................:lol:

What is wrong with you??? Don't you know you should be on forums spreading fear into the hearts of fellow modelers about the demise of Revell and how the Germans always ruin everything???? LOL!

Good for you, I intend to do the same this weekend!

11 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

What is wrong with you??? Don't you know you should be on forums spreading fear into the hearts of fellow modelers about the demise of Revell and how the Germans always ruin everything???? LOL!

Good for you, I intend to do the same this weekend!

LOL,  I hope you are able to get some building done too this weekend, its the whole of this anyways right ?

I am waiting for for a correct hood from Revell USA that I doubt I'll ever receive and I sent a message to Revell asking about this.  I bought a sealed kit on clearance from a store that went out of business and the kit has two of the same part sprues in it.  I had sent in a request for the correct parts and received three out of the four correct parts and the incorrect hood.  I now have two extra incorrect hoods (for a total of three identical hoods).  I just want the correct hood in the kit for when I do start building the kit and a friend has offered me the correct hood from his kit since he wasn't going to use it.  I am going to be like some of the others and wait and see what happens next since I am hearing so much bad information from other so-called knowledgeable people.     

55 minutes ago, mrmike said:

I am waiting for for a correct hood from Revell USA that I doubt I'll ever receive and I sent a message to Revell asking about this.  I bought a sealed kit on clearance from a store that went out of business and the kit has two of the same part sprues in it.  I had sent in a request for the correct parts and received three out of the four correct parts and the incorrect hood.  I now have two extra incorrect hoods (for a total of three identical hoods).  I just want the correct hood in the kit for when I do start building the kit and a friend has offered me the correct hood from his kit since he wasn't going to use it.  I am going to be like some of the others and wait and see what happens next since I am hearing so much bad information from other so-called knowledgeable people.     

Not to be a wise guy, but sounds like bad timing on your behalf. With the bankruptcy court shutting down the offices after accepting the winning bid, I would think there are many in the same boat as you. Hopefully once everything is settled on May 8 and the new company can start discussing what the future is for Revell USA, one of the things they continue to offer is a parts replacement service similar to previous ownership.

In the meantime, you might consider offering up one of your incorrect hoods for trade (if it's possible) here to at least allow you to have the correct part for the future.

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Not to be a wise guy, but sounds like bad timing on your behalf. With the bankruptcy court shutting down the offices after accepting the winning bid, I would think there are many in the same boat as you. Hopefully once everything is settled on May 8 and the new company can start discussing what the future is for Revell USA, one of the things they continue to offer is a parts replacement service similar to previous ownership.

In the meantime, you might consider offering up one of your incorrect hoods for trade (if it's possible) here to at least allow you to have the correct part for the future.

Yes, it does seem to be bad timing on my part, but I now have a correct hood coming from a fellow Club member.  I was telling him about the kit that I had bought and he also had, but pirated the engine for another project.  He offered me the hood and I will have it in a couple of days.  If Revell had sent me the correct hood when I had originally requested it, this whole scenario could have been avoided.  But, the person pulling the parts had pulled the wrong hood instead.  I am rather mad and frustrated with Revell just because someone couldn't do their job right!  Read the paperwork and read the part sprue number tag and make sure that they both match and then put the correct pieces in the box!!!    

It was mentioned here by someone else that any parts requests made during the bankruptcy will not be processed and any outstanding requests have been cancelled. You'll need to wait until the situation is clarified sometime in May before putting in another request.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

It was mentioned here by someone else that any parts requests made during the bankruptcy will not be processed and any outstanding requests have been cancelled. You'll need to wait until the situation is clarified sometime in May before putting in another request.

I'm not going to bother with Revell over the issue of the hood.  My timing was off and I got caught in the middle of this.  I've got another hood coming and I'm going to move on from this issue.  It is unfortunate that this happened when it did, so it's time to move ahead.  

53 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Did you hear the news? Revell is going to stop selling model cars and they're going to melt down all the tooling so they can make more military kits!

Now that would be the end of humanity as we know it!

OMG, are you serious???????? Where did you read/hear that?????? That would be the worst thing to happen to our hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so! I better buy up all of the Revell kits I can before it's too late!

2 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

OMG, are you serious???????? Where did you read/hear that?????? That would be the worst thing to happen to our hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so! I better buy up all of the Revell kits I can before it's too late!

I heard it was just the Model T, Model A, and 32 Ford tooling...no great loss...;)

10 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I heard it was just the Model T, Model A, and 32 Ford tooling...no great loss...;)

Don't forget 69 Camaros, they just don't sell! And also the newest tools that they just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to cut. Or the old tools that have paid their way for decades. You know they'll just as easily be rid of that trivial junk!

(Tongue firmly in cheek)?

On 2018-04-29 at 2:45 PM, mrmike said:

I asked Revell US for new cab for the reissued Kenworth K100 flat top last summer as the cab in my kit was cracked when I opened it...Ed Sexton answered the email I sent but I never got one...and I will most likely not get one now. <_<
I'm not that impressed of Revell's Chineese quality control the last few years as it looks like more and more slipped through.

Edited by Force