Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Round2 Car Kit News & Announcements

Casey

22 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Hmm, if they're listing it as part of the "Trick Trike" series, I would think that implies some more releases, maybe depending on how this one does?

image.png.596dabff1fc1a0fc6e494bb8b3225bf4.png

I could do without the Cobra Chopper, but I'd snap up a Black Max. Neither of those were part of the Retrohobby set, so I don't think they've been out since the original release.

Cobra chopper reminds me of the 1/16 Pyro street rod kit........wonder if it inspired???

8 hours ago, kurth said:

I wonder what it would take for them to re-issue the 79 bronco. I missed out on the Model king re-issue 13ish years ago, it was issued with a trailer and race car. So we know the mold was still in existence not too long ago. 

I'd like to see this one back on the shelves in the not too distant future. I have the original issue, but the body has a slight warp to it as well as the removable top. These can go for big $$$$ on the 'Bay so a reissue sure would be nice.

I saw a built up Mailbox at the Cincy show this spring. Great build.

Since then I've been looking for one. I hope its priced appropriate. The Pyro reissue of the Honda Dream was dead on arrival for me when it was priced at the same price as a full car kit. Apparently I was not alone as this was one of hte kits HL blew out in their clearance sale.

I remember the MPC chopper kits selling for about half of the price of a full car kit when MPC first issued them. The engine is very nice for its size. I fear if it has something like a $28 retail price this will be the only kit from the series produced.

IMG_5681.jpg

52 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I fear if it has something like a $28 retail price this will be the only kit from the series produced.

The next round of Round2 kits have MSRPs of about $33, and the trike's MSRP is $29, so rather close.

The next round of Round2 kits have MSRPs of about $33, and the trike's MSRP is $29, so rather close.

So the trikes will be dead on arrival? At $21, they'll sell at $28, I really hope HL carries them so I can use the coupon. If not I'll wait until they're worthless on eBay or shows.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Roth Mail Box Chopper... on it's own? YES!

Image result for roth mailbox chopper

Never did pick one up when they were part of this set. The set went for $$$, so I never pulled the trigger, especially when I only really wanted the Roth kit. And when you did find someone who would split up the set they wanted $$$ for the Roth kit. 

They are all pretty cool, but the chances of me actually building the Roth trike are marginally, let alone building all of them. Glad I'll have the chance to buy it again.

Back when  Retrohobby did the set of four  in 2005,  Model King had been offered the opportunity and passed because the four bikes were part of one tool.  He saw it as you do, that there would be a disproportionate demand for the different bikes, causing problems if they were to be sold separate.  That's why Retrohobby released them as a set.

I guess Round 2 is blocking off a lot of runners in the tool just to get the Roth bike! 

The V8 trikes share a lot of parts, and the Honda trikes use a common chassis, engine, and other parts.  Add to that, that they were issued in pairs, one V8 trike and one Honda.  I'd bet that two trikes are molded in one shot: one V8, one Honda.

20 hours ago, iBorg said:

So the trikes will be dead on arrival? At $21, they'll sell at $28, I really hope HL carries them so I can use the coupon. If not I'll wait until they're worthless on eBay or shows.

x2.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, MrObsessive said:

I'd like to see this one back on the shelves in the not too distant future. I have the original issue, but the body has a slight warp to it as well as the removable top. These can go for big $$$$ on the 'Bay so a reissue sure would be nice.

Was this last seen as part of a Cougar funny car team from Model King a decade or so ago? 

50 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

If they do decide to release the Bronco, I hope they do look at the way the wheels are molded, cuz the ones I have, have numerous sinkmarks, just say'n

Hmmm............it's been a while since I took a good look at my kit as far as the wheels. Now my curiosity is up and I'll have to dig it out and see for myself. With all the models I packed up when I moved (most will remain packed up), I have NO IDEA which box it's in though! :D

12 minutes ago, Motor City said:

or at least  a '66 Wildcat with the correct interior for the first time ever

They have.  The Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camaros are new tools.  Can't recollect any other automotive at the moment.  I believe their Space 1999 Eagle (at least the larger scale) are new (or significantly modified)

Edited by Exotics_Builder

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

They have.  The Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camaros are new tools.  Can't recollect any other automotive at the moment.  I believe their Space 1999 Eagle (at least the larger scale) are new (or significantly modified)

New-ish Corvettes and Challengers, too. No promo contracts lately, though.