Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

ModelcarJR

I recently purchased this re-issued AMT kit because I have built it before and I've always thought that this Ford was the sharpest of the long early 60's Fords.  I found  my first build of this car on the shelf to refresh my memory and surprised myself. According to my build sheet, I used Artic Blue Metallic as a substitute for Viking Blue Metallic (I don't even remember that model paint color) inside and out. There isn't a blemish in the paint that I can find anywhere! The 427 is detailed with plug and coil wires (not a pre-wired distributor) battery cables, heater hoses, fuel line and even a removable oil dip stick! I must have been a little crazier about detail back then.  BMF exterior and the intricate detail in the interior was added with BMF.  Finally, I added an antenna and vanity plates. I don't think I can outdo my original build of this kit.  So, here are some photos while I contemplate starting this build. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! I didn't mention that this build is over 20 years old and sitting on a shelf in an individual case.  I guess I should revisit some of these old builds more often for inspiration.  Thanks for looking! 😎

On 6/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, ModelcarJR said:

According to my build sheet, I used Artic Blue Metallic as a substitute for Viking Blue Metallic (I don't even remember that model paint color) inside and out.

IIRC, that was one of the early Model Master enamels. It looks great on 1960s cars for sure.