Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kits do you collect?

3 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

@StevenGuthmiller

Yeah. I know how that goes. But one day you'll be an old guy builder like many of us, 

and everything you bought you were going to build....someday 😁.

I don’t know, I think I’m already in that “old guy” category. 😊

Maybe not quite as old as some, but I have been building for about s half a century.

That surely makes me feel old.

But in the end, my attitude right now is that when the day comes that I’m no longer a “builder”, I will most likely become a “seller” rather than a “collector”.

I can’t see myself wanting to have all of this stuff laying around if I can no longer do anything constructive with it.

I would just as soon see it go to someone who can still enjoy it for the purpose that it was intended.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

I hear you.

My boy likes to buy and sell things and is good at it, so I'm leaving all I have to him, and some of what I have is pretty valuable,

so those will be a part of his inheritance.

I can enjoy them now, and when I'm gone they'll help him out.

All that we can hope for is that this stuff will retain its value over time.

With the way the hobby seems to be going, I can see a time in a few decades where anything model car kit related could become pretty much worthless at some point.

At least I wouldn’t rely on it in my retirement or anything! 😉

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I don't consider myself a collector per se. Everything I buy, I buy with the intention to build. Some just sit in the stash a little longer.

Yup... same here. Although I will keep an eye out on kits from my youth and teen years and buy it.... IF the price is reasonable. I’ve been fortunate to acquire a few kits from those years of my past again, including some I wished I had built back then. There are still quite a few I’d love to get again.

I buy everything with the intention of building it.  At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

As for what I'm proud of getting, two stand out.

One is getting one of the earlier issues of the Jo-han Cadillac Sport Phaeton.  It still had the gold cup that the Gold Cup series was named for.  The Jo-han classics may not command the big bucks of other kits, but they're still some of the nicest kits ever made.

The other was snagging this Bluebird kit for 16 Canadian bucks at an estate sale.  It wasn't on my want list when I went in, but I've always been a fan of the Bluebird cars, and FPP kits are usually priced like they're made of gold, if you can get them at all.

spacer.pngIMG_0783.png

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not really a collector either but I have way too many on the shelf, quite a few that may never get built in my lifetime. I get these impulses to get a certain car to build if I see one in a picture even if it is one thats maybe down the line for a future build.   More often then not tho a model I buy I gets started before one thats been on the shelf quite a while.  

I also, am not a collector for the sake of collecting. I fully INTEND to build what I have acquired. I avoid duplicates but am open to additional versions of a make and model that I like. My interests are Muscle cars which fortunately (or unfortunately) there are plenty available. My other interest is Semi trucks triggered by the Movin' On show in the 70's. This was right when I was no longer challenged by building cars at the time. I have 23 tractor trailer rigs to build and all are unique. I have over 150 cars from 1953 to 1978.

I've gone through several phases in my model hobby life.
Once upon a time, when I was a kid, every kit that was gifted, or I could afford, got built, in days.
Then I took more time to build decent models, and had just a few kits on the closet shelf.
Then the usual early adult stuff, put all this on the shelf.  But I still bought an occasional kit.
Then I met other modelers, and joined clubs, and got into building again, then bought more kits, knowing I would get to them. 😜
Then the usual mid-life crisis BS, no interest in building, but bought an occasional kit.
Repeated last two steps a couple of times.
Recently, I joined this forum, and got corrupted. 🙄  Now that I have more money than time, bought whatever I wished I had back in the early stages.  And some of those unbuilt kits are now considered collectible.  Now I'm getting really unusual subjects, from around the world, which I never dreamed of once upon a time.
This is most of my collection, half don't show up on the left and right shelves.  Got shelving from stores going out of business, so I'm doomed.  But last weekend I attended a local model show, sold 4 kits, so I'm down to 172 kits today.

IMG_0074.jpg

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I buy everything with the intention of building it.  At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

As for what I'm proud of getting, two stand out.

One is getting one of the earlier issues of the Jo-han Cadillac Sport Phaeton.  It still had the gold cup that the Gold Cup series was named for.  The Jo-han classics may not command the big bucks of other kits, but they're still some of the nicest kits ever made.

The other was snagging this Bluebird kit for 16 Canadian bucks at an estate sale.  It wasn't on my want list when I went in, but I've always been a fan of the Bluebird cars, and FPP kits are usually priced like they're made of gold, if you can get them at all.

spacer.pngIMG_0783.png

BTW, to whoever posted the sad face icon.  Don't worry, I'm not going to turn it into a rat rod or anything like that.