Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

On 4/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, tim boyd said:

My sense is that Round 2 is very well aware of the modeling communities' interest in doing a new tool clone of the original MPC '68 Coronet R/T.  Whether that will eventually translate into a new kit or not, I do not know. 

TB 

Tim, I hope so, it would definitely tell us they are aware of what the hobby has been asking for. It doesn't take a marketing genius to see these threads and make  solid decisions for new products instead of countless reissues of the same old stuff. 

Edited by BobbyG

16 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Tim, I hope so, it would definitely tell us they are aware of what the hobby has been asking for. It doesn't take a marketing genius to see these threads and make  solid decisions for new products instead of countless reissues of the same old stuff. 

Bob, in these cases, it is usually a case of what investment of a kitmakers money and development time they believe will deliver the biggest result in the marketplace.  It's not that they don't see the need, its purely about deploying their resources in the way to get the best return on same.   

All the kitmakers have a bunch of new or modified car projects they'd like to do in 1/25th, the debate comes in which of those projects to do first and when.  As well as whether model car kits are a better investment than Sci-Fi, et al, and other non-automotive licensed projects. 

As I always say in this case, time will tell, and usually it does!  

Thanks for your input...TIM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Some may find this hard to believe, but they are well aware of which kits "we" wax nostalgic over and which kits bring the big bucks on ebay.

Yes, they know which kits "we" really want. 

The guys at Round2 are modeling enthusiasts just like us, and they would love to crank out a bunch of those oldies we all love, but this ain't the 60's. 

Something to consider when posting the "it doesn't take a marketing genius" comments.  

Edited by pack rat
  • Thanks 1

IMHO it's not only finding that one subject which will sell well, but also how many siblings that one kit can produce to keep the necessary funds coming in for years to come, not only to be profitable but also to finance new projects and invest in new technologies to improve the product line, lower development costs, lead time and also streamline production to keep cost down.

For example If Round-2 considers tooling up an all new '68 Coronet, they I'm sure (again IMHO) also look at including the '69 and '70, in many trim levels and building styles (bone stock, '70s-'80s Street machine, resto mod, etc...) as possible.

Cheers

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

4 hours ago, PintoKING said:

What about the 1970 GTO from the movie "Two-Lane Blacktop"?

MPC "re-did"(?) the 1970 GTO in the 1990s from their 1972 GTO molds (I think), and then re-re-modified it back into the current 1972 GTO, as I recall.

It should aslo be "easy" to do the 1955 Chevy from that movie; they already have the stock '55 BelAir.

That ages-old (53 years old) MPC 1972 GTO is a hunka junk. An all-new 1970 GTO (Ram Air IV, please!) would be the better alternative. 

The AMT 1955 Chevy is another dinosaur. I'm not knocking it --and, perhaps, I'm thinking it's older than it is-- but lots of mods would be required to replicate the heavily-modified Two Lane Blacktop '55 coupe.

Should Round2 reissue the 1968 Coronet kit, I'd be willing to bet it'd be a new body, etc., with the 1968-1969 Road Runner/GTX chassis, etc., just like the 1970 Super Bee kit of yore. 

Not a bad move, really. Those two kits practically fall-together... horn-as-a-wiper-motor notwithstanding.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Saw it on the Round2 FB page.

That was posted a few months ago, and iIRC, was fan who stopped by the Round2 offices while on a road trip, or similar.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, pack rat said:

Some may find this hard to believe, but they are well aware of which kits "we" wax nostalgic over and which kits bring the big bucks on ebay.

Yes, they know which kits "we" really want. 

The guys at Round2 are modeling enthusiasts just like us, and they would love to crank out a bunch of those oldies we all love, but this ain't the 60's. 

Something to consider when posting the "it doesn't take a marketing genius" comments.  

Yes but some products are the obvious to produce that seem to be overlooked especially when most of the guts are already tooled. Again, as in the past I refer to Moebius a much smaller company, but understandably, they have less overhead or investors as Round 2.

The market genius comment is my opinion but you all obviously are more privy than I am. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by BobbyG

On 4/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

"My sense is that Round 2 is very well aware of the modeling communities' interest in doing a new tool clone of the original MPC '68 Coronet R/T.  Whether that will eventually translate into a new kit or not, I do not know. "

I'm  in! That would be great, as I bought  real one for $1000 in '85,

restored it over time for 15years , then sold it for 14k 20 years ago. 

now the kits are going for what I payed for a real one back in 80s__

52a98c38eda5327735827905c94aabc4.jpg

coronetrt.jpg

Lets add another 68 Coronet kit; the Feverbee drag car.  Going for good money too.  So many building possibilities.  We already have the drag racing parts in the GTX and 70 Superbee kits.  Plenty to work with.  Round 2 could very well have this kit as a future subject along with other future releases.

Dodge Feverbee box.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, 1972coronet said:

Should Round2 reissue the 1968 Coronet kit, I'd be willing to bet it'd be a new body, etc., with the 1968-1969 Road Runner/GTX chassis, etc., just like the 1970 Super Bee kit of yore. 

Not a bad move, really. Those two kits practically fall-together... horn-as-a-wiper-motor notwithstanding.

Horn as a wiper motor hahahahaha. I've been telling people about this for years and they still keep sticking the horn on the firewall. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

Horn as a wiper motor hahahahaha. I've been telling people about this for years and they still keep sticking the horn on the firewall. LOL

Same here. I've had people argue with me about it even after showing them pics of the horn. 

They really have to change that on the instruction sheet but I see the actual wiper motor has been removed from the chrome tree of the last couple reissues of the kit that use that chassis.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want Round 2 to clone the 68 Coronet go out and buy the 63 Nova wagon and the two versions of the 64 Cutlass.

The more of those that are sold the better the business case Round 2 will have for the 68 Coronet.

I have happily bought multiples of the Nova and Cutlass and I will buy multiples of the Coronet if given the chance.

• Like 1