Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ranchero - Del Rio Conversion

2v2aTNJcqximYT.jpg

I have always liked ’57 Fords. Family friends got a brand new two-tone yellow and white 2-door hardtop which was probably the best-looking car I had ever seen up to that point. There was a full range of cars from Ford in 1957 including a couple of new and unique versions – the retractable hardtop and the Ranchero. It was the Ranchero that has always been a favourite of mine. I remember as a kid dreaming about owning a ’57 Ranchero which of course would have to have had some modifications. Although I have built a few ’57 Ford models in the past, I had an urge to build a model something like the one I dreamed about all those years ago.

When Revell released the ’57 Del Rio 2-door Ranch wagon there was a great deal of hope that it might be followed by an up to modern standards Ranchero kit. With all that Revell has gone through over the last few years the chances of that happening are very remote. One day late last year with nothing better to do I had an irresistible urge to convert the Del Rio Wagon into a Ranchero.

2v2aTNJi5ximYT.jpg

Modifications I made

- Cut roof near the b-pillar with a bit of a cut back to the pillar

- Sanded off the raised contour on the remaining part of the roof

- Separated rear window from removed roof and glued it to the new roof ending and b-pillar

- The rear bulkhead of the passenger compartment was made from the cut off roof

- The interior side panels were cut to have separate sections for the interior and pickup bed

- The inner side panels and tailgate panels were glued to the body

- A new pickup floor was fabricated from smooth and grooved Evergreen styrene

- The forward bulkhead of the pickup bed was made from various elements of Evergreen styrene with everything faired in with putty

- A small shelf was added below the inside of the back window

- Separated the wheel tubs from the floor pan and attached to pickup bed floor. The tubs were faired in with the floor using putty and a styrene molding was added where the wheel tubs meet the side panels

PAINT is Tamiya TS-26 Pure White and TS-60 Pearl Green from the spray cans without clear

DECALS for the most part are from the kit. The door panel decals did not fit properly because the cut out for the armrests are misplaced. I also used some Ranchero decals I had made up for a previous built. The gold in the side trim is gold Bare-Metal-Foil rather than the provided decals.

2v2aTNJgNximYT.jpg

Modifications to create my dream Ranchero

- Removed front gravel pan from the frame to paint body color which may not be correct but I prefer it that way

- Added a stick shift and a tachometer

- American Torque-Thrusts and tires from Revell ’32 Ford

- FE engine from AMT ’60 Ford with Thunderbird enhancements including three carbs

- Removable bed rails from AMT ’59 El Camino

2v2aTNE2yximYT.jpg2v2aTNEh5ximYT.jpg

The Workbench thread for this build

• Like 1

Hi Phil ! Wow! This turned out beautiful sir. Excellent colour combo, the wheel tire choice is spot on too. Your builds are always impeccable Phil, hope to see you this Thursday. Now, I need to go back and finish looking at the WIP, I haven’t checked in for a bit, and obviously I missed quite a lot…

Cheers, Steve

Beautiful looking Ranchero. The attention to the little details on the bed really make this look factory. The colors also add that OEM look along with the trim details. The engine upgrade and the wheels and tires give it great day 2 appearance. 

17 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice looking Ranchero, looks as good as a real 1:1.  Also like the color combination.

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great looking trucklet, and inspiring...as I've always wanted a nice one of these too.   :D

16 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

EXCELLENT!! 😍😍

16 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

You have done a masterful job on the conversion. My display case will be happy to hold it once you have tired of it. (Not likely but one can always hope)

14 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Beautiful work.  

13 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Phil ! Wow! This turned out beautiful sir. Excellent colour combo, the wheel tire choice is spot on too. Your builds are always impeccable Phil, hope to see you this Thursday. Now, I need to go back and finish looking at the WIP, I haven’t checked in for a bit, and obviously I missed quite a lot…

Cheers, Steve

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looking great!!

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Excellent conversion , very very well done !

4 hours ago, landman said:

X2

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

That is one very sharp model.

2 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very sharp indeed, well done!

7 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Ranchero. The attention to the little details on the bed really make this look factory. The colors also add that OEM look along with the trim details. The engine upgrade and the wheels and tires give it great day 2 appearance. 

Thanks everyone. I am very pleased how the Ranchero turned out.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:42 AM, thatz4u said:

fantastic

19 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Awesome!... I'd send some pictures to Revell along with some notes on how you went about building this gem....😎👌

Maybe they'll toss the idea around to release this kit.. Heck, I'd buy a couple...🙂

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful Ranchero!

7 hours ago, David G. said:

You've made a lot of modifications, all of them exceedingly well done.

If I didn't know better, I'd think think that this was an actual kit issued by Revell.

David G.

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

That is really sharp looking. The wheels add a nice touch to it.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

That is some real impressive work there Phil.  Great build👌

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your comments. This model does show that a presentable conversion can be done relatively easily from the Del Rio Ranch Wagon however close does not count when it comes to an actual model car kit. These days a new kit has to be virtually perfect to pass scrutinizing. The back window and surrounding area would probably be the most difficult for Revell to get right. If Revell did offer a Ranchero kit, I am sure it would be very popular.

• Like 1