Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

I think this is a great product (especially for my non-plated resin kit bumpers) - here I have used it for some 3D printed spoke wheels from Jack modelling

(presented in the Car Aftermarket section): no preparation at all, no primer, nothing!

Just sprayed from the can (I have NO airbrush) directly onto the parts (description below the picture):

P1080302.JPG.0bbe820c1b3def6e01788801f6b3977d.jpg.7d0275542d64f45b73f2179dedcda562.jpg

LEFT:         Spinners : Revell Chrome

CENTER:   Borrani spokewheels and spinners : Revell Chrome

RIGHT:      Borranis :  Revell Chrome – with 2 light shots of Tamiya clear smoke overspray (next day)

• Thanks 1

Here’s a better look at the Pledge treatment. The blower has one coat of Chrom straight from the can, and then dipped twice in Pledge, about 12 hours apart. The rim is the kit chrome from the Foose Impala.

IMG_9844.jpeg

IMG_9843.jpeg

IMG_9841.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Revell Chrome Spray Durability Improvement?

Finally got my hands on a can of Revell Chrom spray chrome paint (they spell it Chrom because they are a German company) I know this has been out for awhile and it’s a great finish right out of the can except for some durability concerns. People have tried clear coats with mixed results, Future and Spaz Stiks seeming to yield the best results. However, they do diminish the reflection a bit. 

So, I set about to do a little experiment in trying to cure the paint a little better using my dehydrator. I performed the rub test with my thumb and moderate pressure, and my hands are really course from doing demolition in my kitchen this week. Here are my results. 

On the left is an untouched sample, straight out of the can. That is our “control” sample to compare our results to. Sample 2 is a 24 hour cure, just sitting out in the open air. Note mild scuffing. Sample 3 was cured in the dehydrator for 24 hours. Slightly less scuffing than the non- dehydrated sample. And lastly, sample 4 (far right) has been in the dehydrator for 48 hours. Even less scuffing. Molotow chrome ink would be a silver mess by now with this much handling. 

In conclusion, baking the Revell Chrom in a dehydrator does make a difference in the durability. With moderate handling during assembly it should hold up well. Of course true vacuum plating is superior, but there are fewer and fewer providers of that service available to our hobby. And I will continue to use Molotow with a small brush for detailing small items, but for big pieces I think I’m sold on Revell Chrom!

This is an unsolicited review of Revell Chrom and I have not been compensated in any way. Just trying to help out my fellow builders.IMG_4850.jpeg.4db8446bd2a562fb46a9e52ba1fb02d5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I painted an original issue MPC 1970 Challenger front bumper with Revell chrome about ten days ago.  Back in the day (er..that would be 1971...) I had partly removed the front bumper guards for a Pro-Stock project; so for this test I had to finish removing the bumper guards, then sand that area to a smooth finish as well as sand off all the remaining original plating.  The first round was 360 grit, followed by 500 and finished with 1500. 

I then applied  a single, pretty heavy coat of Revell Chrom.  It flowed really nicely and gave a glass smooth appearance out of the  spray booth.  Looked equally good after a day (no sign of any sanding or mods to the part).  Yesterday (about 10 days after) it still looked just as smooth. So far no issues after light handling, and still a perfect finish.  No dehydrator in this case, and no clear coat.  Very, very encouraging.   At least so far.  Clearly superior to anything else I've tried.   TB  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

image.png.c2f2bd13d4823f0b85b3bbd19dd5e2b3.png                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I used this over the Revell Chrome, and it solves the durability issue. I sprayed the part with chrome, set in dehydrator for a day, sprayed generous coat of clear, sat in dehydrator another day. Couldn't detect any loss of shine.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Here is a shot of a ‘41 Plymouth grill. On the right is the Chrome that I sprayed through an air brush and dipped in Pledge. On the left is BMF. I didn’t sand the slots smooth enough after modifying the grills especially on the right one.

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

• Like 2

With the demise of the last chromer (at least, for now) this is a big, big win. 

In MOST cases, I like the sprays more than the vacuum plating, which has looked sort of 'bubblegum machine' in some racks I got back a few years ago.

This is BMF on the left and Chrom with a pledge dip on the right. The parts have to be stripped and the recesses smoothed better, since I did a rather rough job the first go round. I like the Chrome better, but I have to paint the recesses black, so I’ll test to see which one is better for painting before I strip them.

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
Crop pics

OK, here's a real test for you... From Mark Easterly on the Forward Look MoPar Network on FB: "Just hit 45k and put on my fiberglass bumper wings. Revell chrome spray paint🤣 let's see how long it lasts in Florida weather."

Screenshot2024-03-11173207.png.77e75fe512be13f059af07b9d78fda5c.png

Screenshot2024-03-11173316.png.6fb8859f3b7aeaaa3c54b7dd4cefaae5.png

Screenshot2024-03-11173429.png.5e614f04cc3b8fbc2c7d852c5dc3986a.png

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

OK, here's a real test for you... From Mark Easterly on the Forward Look MoPar Network on FB: "Just hit 45k and put on my fiberglass bumper wings. Revell chrome spray paint🤣 let's see how long it lasts in Florida weather."

Screenshot2024-03-11173207.png.77e75fe512be13f059af07b9d78fda5c.png

Screenshot2024-03-11173316.png.6fb8859f3b7aeaaa3c54b7dd4cefaae5.png

Screenshot2024-03-11173429.png.5e614f04cc3b8fbc2c7d852c5dc3986a.png

Sorry but I don’t see that being a long term solution . Hobby stuff has little to no UV screeners. I’ll bet the sun eats that up fast 

• Like 3

He should have used Alsa Easy Chrome products made for 1:1. Plenty of examples of it's excellence on automotive subjects. It's so $$ that modelers being cheapskates that they avoid it like the plague. Thus few examples of it available in photos of model car applications.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Sorry but I don’t see that being a long term solution . Hobby stuff has little to no UV screeners. I’ll bet the sun eats that up fast 

IF he let the Revell Chrom thoroughly dry and then perhaps applied a good 2k clear w/a spray gun, it might work. I tested 2k clear (leftover after shooting a model car body) over spoons shot in Alclad chrome, Spaz Stix chrome, and Molotow chrome. All were applied 1-2 years (!) previous, and 2k barely affected the chrome effect. Better than Spaz Stix and Alclad clears applied over a different batch of spoons. Once I get some E7 S-02 clear I'll have a good idea what should work for me, and add Revell Chrom to the mix. One thing I'll test is how well secondary painting looks after the clear such as painting/washing grille textures and wheels that have both chrome/polished surfaces (like center caps, trim rings) and painted areas, such as painted wheels.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Hopefully Revell might issue their chrome in bottles for airbrush use sometime soon. Good to see that it can be sealed without any detriment to the shine.

Has anyone tried Green Stuff World's Airbrush and Brush Applied Chromes. They look very impressive on their website.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Hopefully Revell might issue their chrome in bottles for airbrush use sometime soon. Good to see that it can be sealed without any detriment to the shine.

Had anyone tried Green Stuff Hobby's Airbrush and Brush Applied Chromes. They look very impressive on their website.

i'll be trying it on the wheels for my opel soon. i'll be using the brush stuff over duplicolour gold on some printed wheels so theres some prep to be done first before any chrome goes on but it should be fairly soon

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Correction.........I should have said Green Stuff World not Hobby.

Les, did you get yours in the UK?

I honestly dont remember, i think i just did a google search and bought it from the first place that had both in stock. It very possibly came from out east as i went through a spell of getting stuff from indonesia and thailand last year cos the exchange rate worked in my favour

9 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Has anyone tried Green Stuff World's Airbrush and Brush Applied Chromes. They look very impressive on their website.

I did try decanting it and airbrushing it ,, didn't work too well. No where as good as strait from the can.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:25 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

▷ Chrome Paint for brush and airbrush - GSW (greenstuffworld.com)

Edited by SpeedShift

That's the video on Green Stuff Chrome that I looked at Jim. Thanks for putting it up on this thread.

I must say that it looks impressive, especially the chrome being simply dabbed onto the figure.

It will be interesting to learn what people who have used it think about it.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Having tried both of Green Stuff World's Chrome paints I'm far more impressed with the finish of the brush-on version than the airbrush version.

Though it's not quite as bright and shiny as real kit plating, the brush-on version lays down incredibly smooth making it ideal for touching up the sprue attachment points on plated parts. It's also very effective to touch up torn or chipped bare metal foil.

• Like 1