Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Art Favorites

Great subject, but there are just WAY too many for me to choose from.  
I am very partial to the old white box Monogram boxes.  To me, it really makes the cars “pop”.  This one, by the way, was the first kit I built.

really like the Polar Lights Tommy Grove funny car box art too.  I could go on and on and on and on…

IMG_3341.jpeg.161278c0500a7a8b3dde00b5ec971408.jpegIMG_3340.jpeg.af01d524c8f3d1dbbe4181023ffbbf54.jpeg

The abstract minimalism...the use of negative space...the bold absence of colour...does it get any better than this?

s-l1200.jpg

Seriously though, there is so much terrific artwork out there. I wish modern kits would try a little harder. I appreciate the new AMT Bronco. It's a fantastic kit. But could they not have had some proper artwork done, instead of just a stock colour photo?  Look at Revell. They're doing it right with their new releases. Zippi posted some good examples when he started this thread. Some beautiful artwork there. Seriously, they should market these and release them as posters or puzzles. I think they'd sell really well.

But then...AMT has a history of questionable box art choices.

ugh.JPG

Sure gets me excited.

For art though, it's really hard to beat the military kits.

a17001-1.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 7:54 AM, Zippi said:

I don't think this has been discussed for a while so I thought I would bring it up again since it's a nice topic to talk about.  Here's some of my favorites.

MOE-1204-2.jpg

RMX-4022-2.jpg

RMX-4514-2.jpg

RMX-4516-2.jpg

RMX-4996-2.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

RMX-4928-2.jpg

AMT-37315-2.jpg

Have to agree, but for me the biggest attraction to these kits is the subject matter. 

• Like 1

My favorite, so much so that I reinforced the box with cardboard on the inside and soaked the fifty-year-old cardboard with Pledge so that it can be there when I build whatever I build. JO-HAN and sunshine , life at its best.IMG_6991.thumb.jpeg.72eda0971584f9a28b16bb298642ed51.jpeg

My absolute favorite kit is AMT (no surprise) #6809 FORD F-150 XLT and with that the box becomes a good second.

• Like 1

This is my favorite for my own sick reasons; laughable photoshopping, poor photography AND the product only occupies about 20-percent of the cover from an angle that doesn't let the modeler see what the body looks like. Yes, it could have intended to be campy, but it's funnier believing it wasn't. I love it.

IMG_0535c.JPG.835a8b6fe1520ab10ed4711add4dd1b4.JPG

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 1

Bill: I never had one. Never saw one. Have never seen one in the flesh to this day. First I ever heard of it was in a 1967 Car Modeler magazine where someone used a Sizzler frame to make a funny car frame for a (IIRC) '66 Skylark named UFO. B)