Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know how old this paint is

I have several marked at 40 cents on the lids. I also got these three Pactras in a kit I bought at some point. The silver is unused and viable. The black is barely used and good too. The yellow is separated and I can't seem to shake it enough to mix it. Anyone have any idea where Broadbents is?

IMG_0211.jpeg

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 1

I've seen both sides of the aged paint thing.  There's a Barbados Rex YouTube video where he takes a 50-year-old 1/4 oz bottle of Testors Metallic Green paint, uncaps it, stirs it, adds some reducer and airbrushes it.  Turned out great.   

Conversely, about a decade ago I came across a box of clearance paints at a hobby shop and was pleased to see it included 4 bottles of Pactra Hot Rod Primer.  I tried every trick I knew but could not make them workable.  

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

I tried every trick I knew but could not make them workable.  

I seem to have similar issues with nail polish.  I have a drawer full of colors that were on sale and I couldn't resist, or I envisioned a build using that particular color.  Some will reconstitute using thinner, others don't.

One thing to watch out for in the paint is the Pactra plastic bottles. In an effort to cut costs pastrami decided to use plastic bottles. The problem is the paint would go bad even when they had been never opened before. I suspect it was the plastic was porous.  The bottles were changed back to glass.

• Like 1

Now lets set Mr. Peabody's way back machine to the early 1970's where President Ford establishes WIP ( Whip Inflation Now!) program. Along comes a little model builder that reports to the President that Testor's is not following his program by increasing the cost of their paints. Makes national news. Your bottle is between then and the 80's.

SIDEBAR: Patcra made a  gun metal bottle paint that was a great paint for the magnesium color of mag wheels. Their spray silver undercoat was the best for bare aluminum aircraft.

greg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vintage chromoly said:

No price on the cap.

its the last bottle that was still good from my childhood. My model building years were late 70’s until around 84ish.

Hm, I thought the priceless caps were introduced later in the '90s (to present) so they would not have to remake the caps using the new, constantly growing price. Generic cap solved that problem.

EDIT: On second thought, I seem to recall that the little square bottles had different diameter necks too, using different caps.  Larger and smaller. I think the small caps didn't have prices and were used in paint sets. But my memory is fuzzy, I think I still have a paint set from the '80s. Would have to dig it out and check the cap.

Edited by peteski

I have a Testors marked 35 cents on the cap, and one marked 40. I have three of the old Pactra 2/3 oz. bottles. One is Hot Rod Primer that's still good--it has 25 cents printed on its label. The other two are not marked. I have a ton of ancient Humbrol paints I bought back in the early-mid '80s, that's still good, too. 

DSC_0001cr.jpg

• Like 2

I was a plumber in the mid-1980s and drew pipes in the laboratory of a paint factory. When I would beg for some cans of lacquer paint, they were careful to find some old ones for me, much like wine waiters. The lacquer colour became better by being stored, it became a better feeling and control for the painter.

Before shaking long settled paint, MIX it.  Get a good (metal) mixing utensil and get it into every possible area of that bottle.  If by chance it absolutely won't mix, then it can be written off as no good.  If it mixes, then shaking periodically should keep it mixed.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 6:44 PM, Vintage chromoly said:

This is my oldest. Early 80’s.

image.thumb.jpg.1faf0cc7ea26a4f9bf28039abe04f897.jpg

Ah yes, back when you could plainly read from the label what color you were buying. Bought a couple bottles last week that, in the store, I couldn't for the life of me read whether they were flat, gloss or even shade 😧.  Can't go by labels on the rack because bottles often aren't   in the right place.

386877321_2598650123619180_7197114006081928936_n.jpeg.8af01aaca0bf4f554d3077c1f19d3b07.jpeg

• Like 2