Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I've been picking up the occasional bomber AMT '40 ('39ish) Tudor for some strange reason. I have ideas for several builds based on these, even though they weren't particularly loved when they were plentiful. The much better detailed Revell guts fit well, which avoids a lot of laborious work upgrading the semi-blobular AMT underpinnings and engine. This little guy is very rebuildable, and came cheap. I'm hoping the wheels are salvageable, as they're decent looking 16" steel rims that work for a lot of hot-rod applications.

5cbe6ff2e96b1_ford40model.jpg.7e5360df996abf3124b6b030f5271d75.jpg

The Protar Ferrari 250 GTO kits are considerably more expensive than last time I looked, but this one wasn't too bad, was sealed, and came with an extra set of (not great) tires. What I particularly wanted to see were the much-touted wire wheels. While the spokes are indeed very fine and will look great assembled, they lack the adjustment nuts that the 3D printed wheels from Model Builders' Warehouse get right. This should make a difference to a knowledgeable builder who's actually familiar with real Borannis, and I'll shortly have a set of the MBW parts in-hand to do a critical side-by-side comparison. The kit appears to be quite a gem really, with a body shape that, at first glance, should be close enough for a possibly racing-damaged-and-repaired car. I'm not seeing the "body shape is just flat wrong" that several internet opinions have parroted, but on closer examination, I may be more disappointed. The engine, gearbox and chassis look better than the Gunze version (which doesn't have much), and the Testors/Italeri version (which also has pretty decent wire wheels). I've already started the Gunze kit as a Chebby-powered bastard, but I need to do something about the awful non-prototypical squared rear wheel arches. I'm lacking the Fujimi version, but that should soon be rectified, and I'm kinda thinking of doing the Italeri, Fujimi and Protar versions simultaneously, noting the differences with research on the 1:1s as the builds progress. We'll see how the time works out on that.

s-l1600.jpg

My wife and I were at the hobby shop. She snagged an AMT Shelby Mustang off the shelf and puts it with the rest of our purchases. 

I’m like, “Who are you and what have you done with my wife?” She says I’ll be convalescing for a while and doesn’t want me to get bored. Besides, I’ve been looking at those cars for years now. There’s a reason we’ve been married almost 39 years. 

Stopped in to Hobby Lobby and they had nothing new, so i picked up another Foose 56 Ford pickup. They do have the last boxing of the 34 Ford truck from Lindberg that I do not recall seeing the last few times I was there. 

I also stopped at our last local hobby shop and I picked up a 56 Tim Flock Chrysler 300B from Moebius.

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

My wife and I were at the hobby shop. She snagged an AMT Shelby Mustang off the shelf and puts it with the rest of our purchases. 

I’m like, “Who are you and what have you done with my wife?” She says I’ll be convalescing for a while and doesn’t want me to get bored. Besides, I’ve been looking at those cars for years now. There’s a reason we’ve been married almost 39 years. 

Sounds like you have a good model.wife!!:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Dave.... Shes a keeper...!

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Protar Ferrari 250 GTO kits are considerably more expensive than last time I looked, but this one wasn't too bad, was sealed, and came with an extra set of (not great) tires. What I particularly wanted to see were the much-touted wire wheels. While the spokes are indeed very fine and will look great assembled, they lack the adjustment nuts that the 3D printed wheels from Model Builders' Warehouse get right. This should make a difference to a knowledgeable builder who's actually familiar with real Borannis, and I'll shortly have a set of the MBW parts in-hand to do a critical side-by-side comparison. The kit appears to be quite a gem really, with a body shape that, at first glance, should be close enough for a possibly racing-damaged-and-repaired car. I'm not seeing the "body shape is just flat wrong" that several internet opinions have parroted, but on closer examination, I may be more disappointed. The engine, gearbox and chassis look better than the Gunze version (which doesn't have much), and the Testors/Italeri version (which also has pretty decent wire wheels). I've already started the Gunze kit as a Chebby-powered bastard, but I need to do something about the awful non-prototypical squared rear wheel arches. I'm lacking the Fujimi version, but that should soon be rectified, and I'm kinda thinking of doing the Italeri, Fujimi and Protar versions simultaneously, noting the differences with research on the 1:1s as the builds progress. We'll see how the time works out on that.

s-l1600.jpg

The Protar has poseable front wheels which I like.

The beauty of the AMT '39/'40 Ford tudoor is that it can be built either way. I personally always liked this and the '40 coupe that preceded it. When they were first released they were really a big deal. They and the '40 Ford Panel that came later are a great basis for many different types of builds.  

17 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Dave.... Shes a keeper...!

23 hours ago, slusher said:

Sounds like you have a good model.wife!!:rolleyes:

Thanks, I know she’s a keeper. She’s put up with me and my esoteric hobbies since 1980. Anyone else would have killed me in my sleep. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

They're '61s. '61s have the emblem in the center, '62s have "Continental" around the center, and ''63s have a blank center.

They will work till I find the right ones. :)

Edited by ewetwo

29 minutes ago, KWT said:

About a year or so ago I bought an Anthem 155 airbrush... Finally decided to buy a compressor and some paint. Both orders came in today...

IMG_20190424_181900959_HDR.jpg.856b362ad3ab2d22e5f6986f2eb464dc.jpg

IMG_20190424_170856_255.jpg.919f9a09afbcf4d8d6e5299c60aa0285.jpg

Now I gotsta try to learn what I'm doing...

IMG_20190424_182722_273.jpg.dfc84b0d05b6313928b9a50e8df4c44d.jpg

Same here. I’ve had the airbrush and compressor and paint booth for a year. Just have to get the nerve to try it. Though I do use the paint booth.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...