Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

11 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

A couple weeks ago I found a replacement for a kit I built and lost a long time ago! I was searching local Facebook Marketplace for a 1:1 Land Cruiser and came across a 3 month old ad for this. The guy said it had been started, he had lost interest and it was missing parts. He was asking $20 and I snapped it up. It was missing the hood, but everything seemed to be there, it even had 3 extra matching wheels and tires for some reason. I just opened it up to look at scratching a hood and found that it has a clear hood included so it has everything I need to build it. Very happy!

modelLandCruiser.PNG

Could I get one of those spare tires from you? I have a kit (different version) with only three tires.

Later-

2 hours ago, br67 said:

New addition to the herd. Unbuilt and fairly complete - appears to missing glass and radiator

IMG_5747.JPG

Fabulous find--I'm envious. :wub:

The rear glass is flat and no trouble to replace. For the windshield, look for glass from '64-'67 Chevelles, GTOs, or Olds 4-4-2--whatever you have laying around. Worse comes to worst, it's a simple curve and shouldn't be too difficult to scratchbuild. 

Remember, the two thin upraised strips running down the side of the body are NOT chrome trim. After you've painted, just color-sand and/or polish over these ridges and you will expose a perfect pair of thin white pinstripes--factory correct! 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The rear glass is flat and no trouble to replace. For the windshield, look for glass from '64-'67 Chevelles, GTOs, or Olds 4-4-2--whatever you have laying around. Worse comes to worst, it's a simple curve and shouldn't be too difficult to scratchbuild. 

The Modified Stocker Skylark includes ONLY the windshield, no vent panes or rear glass.  Some of the reissue Stockers have the tooling "opened up" and so have the rear glass that isn't used in that version ('65 Fairlane, for example).  Not so the Skylark, nor the Olds 88 (which I would have liked).  Agreed, I'd look at AMT and MPC midsize cars for a replacement windshield.  '67 GTO might be the first one to check.  The Gear Hustler El Camino reissue windshield would be worth checking too.  The reissue has two sets of parts, so swiping the glass for the Buick won't leave the El Camino with nothing.

When the GTO was first reissued in 1984, the first production run had that dark tint glass that MPC seemed to be obsessed with at the time.  I built one and replaced the glass with thin clear styrene sheet.  Agreed, the rear glass is for all intents and purposes flat while the windshield is curved on only one plane.  

10 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

A few other options... it’s very easy to cut a windshield from clear plastic or skip the glass and use some screen instead. I did that on my Valiant stocker

The Skylark in question is the original annual version: screen isn't an option!  I only mentioned the Modified Stocker because some of the RC2 reissues include both the windshield (minus vent panes) and rear glass.  Unfortunately the Skylark isn't one of them.

7 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Could I get one of those spare tires from you? I have a kit (different version) with only three tires.

Later-

Send me an address and I'll send it to you. Probably won't be able to get it out until next weekend though.

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I haven’t opened this yet because I’m going to take it back to the post office before I do. Just to show how damaged the box was. It’s has a Foose 1965 Chevy kit inside. I’m hoping it’s not damaged.

76C4C8F1-4074-4AAF-87C9-DF455C780867.jpeg

I'm also guessing the kit inside is fine, but if it's not and you can't get satisfaction, let me know. I bought this kit just to cut the wheel openings out of it to graft into an AMT '66 dirt tracker, so if your top is squashed, I'll be happy to swap bodies with you. 

8 hours ago, cobraman said:

Kit will probably be ok would be my guess. I believe the seller/shipper did not put enough packing material in it. I hope kit is fine. I did get some packages that bad or worse and kit was fine.

Yes. It is fine and it is fine Ray. Thank you Snake. The top is fine. Whew! 

37 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Grabbed this one recently . The chrome and glass are bad but all of the main pieces to build a stock Cougar are there . :)

000 0017

Very sweet find, congratulations! The glass from a common reissue '69 kit might fit. 

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Very sweet find, congratulations! The glass from a common reissue '69 kit might fit. 

Just checked and it looks like the '69 glass fits minus the vent windows , not a big deal . The two connecting straps between front and rear are longer but again not a big deal . Thanks ! :D

2 hours ago, TooOld said:

Grabbed this one recently . The chrome and glass are bad but all of the main pieces to build a stock Cougar are there . :)

000 0017

000 0018

Nice score Bob. Yea, the chrome on all the AMT kits from around that time looks dull like that. I have a couple I had the bumpers replated on.

BTW, that's a '68 , body at least. '67s didn't have the side marker lights. 

On 7/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, ewetwo said:

I haven’t opened this yet because I’m going to take it back to the post office before I do. Just to show how damaged the box was. It’s has a Foose 1965 Chevy kit inside. I’m hoping it’s not damaged.

76C4C8F1-4074-4AAF-87C9-DF455C780867.jpeg

CB444EF0-265C-402A-AD34-D888C720854F.jpeg

I would take this directly to the Post Office and have them open it. That way there will be no question as to who is responsible for any damage. They also need to know that they are the ones who damaged this package and they need to figure out how  and what went wrong. Also they can't come back at you and say this wasn't their fault. as the package is in it's as delivered condition. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...