Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice kit, Mike!    I can’t remember seeing the Red light Bandit before'

Thanks Carl.. That kit originated as the Royal Knight ('78) then issued as the Branding Iron ('81) then the Red light Bandit ('81) and finally as the Monster El Camino truck ('85)  There was a few promos that where issued in between those kits. All per scalemates info. I've been hunting the ref light Bandit for sometime, there's one on eBay as a buy now for an arm and leg.. 

I scored a built utility trailer on E Bay yesterday and dirt cheap. It looks a wee bit rough so It'll look good behind my equally a wee bit rough AMT early 70s Chevy Stepside PU.  Here it is from E Bay. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by John M.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I have the later Revell Monogram reissue. Nice kit.

Surprisingly nice. I had never seen the contents of any version of this kit before, and the box art of the 70s Monogram issue, with the photo of the gray model, doesn't do it any justice at all. I was pleased to see it is actually quite nice. 

During that mid 70s - 80s period Monogram had a curious habit of producing box art showing the built kit that always looked lousy, mostly due to poor photography, while it was really a good kit. It was like some kind of reverse misrepresentation, and they seemed to apply it almost universally. 

Seems like I said "no more models" last year. 🫢   Well, I was checking out eBay and saw Fernando Pinto created the 1955 Panamerica winner 300SL.  It's an ideal subject for "weathering", want to do the pit stop time when they arrived after hitting a Buzzard at 120 MPH.

300SLbuzzardthroughwindsheild.jpg.633143e4da337616e06704099f89aa11.jpg

Mercedes300SLPanamerica2.thumb.jpeg.ab493d5ba6bdce2cafad528279f266bd.jpeg
Mercedes300SLPanamerica1.thumb.jpeg.ac4ac5e9fb25c8180b67f5525817ca7b.jpeg

I ordered a couple other models too, still in transit.  I was pleasantly surprised how quickly this got here from Portugal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kelson said:

Today's arrivals,i think i may have a mild case of Dodge Van fever!.🤪IMG_6316.thumb.JPG.6c4a6f4fca30877b5aeca909ef84680d.JPG

You got something nice there! I wish Round 2 would retool this back to that body style and year. If they gave us this and a SWB 1995 Ram Van, I'd be happy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

You got something nice there! I wish Round 2 would retool this back to that body style and year. If they gave us this and a SWB 1995 Ram Van, I'd be happy.

A new tool would be better, so we can have them both.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:47 AM, A modeler named mike said:

Thanks Carl.. That kit originated as the Royal Knight ('78) then issued as the Branding Iron ('81) then the Red light Bandit ('81) and finally as the Monster El Camino truck ('85)  There was a few promos that where issued in between those kits. All per scalemates info. I've been hunting the ref light Bandit for sometime, there's one on eBay as a buy now for an arm and leg.. 

Scalemates info is incomplete.

MPC issues Elcamino annuals every year from '78 through '82. An'80 GMC Caballero "El Diablo" was issued as well.  

It is a bit difficult to keep track of the MPC annuals in this era as they stopped putting the year on the kit and instead named them ["Night Moves" "Branding Iron"  "Red Light Bandit"] in an attempt to keep the kits from being viewed as "last years" kit. 

Plus of corse, the "86 SS" update that was done in the early '90s 

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Scalemates info is incomplete.

MPC issues Elcamino annuals every year from '78 through '82. An'80 GMC Caballero "El Diablo" was issued as well.  

It is a bit difficult to keep track of the MPC annuals in this era as they stopped putting the year on the kit and instead named them ["Night Moves" "Branding Iron"  "Red Light Bandit"] in an attempt to keep the kits from being viewed as "last years" kit. 

Plus of corse, the "86 SS" update that was done in the early '90s 

Thanks for the correction Steve.. I should've know not to trust the internet info. available. 

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I was in Hobby Lobby, trying not to buy any kits but I never built this kit and I always wanted to, so…

Plus some copper and aluminum rod, to feed my lathe 

If I don't find what I went to the hobby shop for, specifically, I always buy some building materials. Especially when I see the K&S Special Shapes rack. I snag up the 1/32" and 3/64" brass tubing, anytime I see it! Last time I was there, they had K&S square aluminum tube in 3/32" and 1/8", neither of which I'd seen, before. Anyhoo...you can never go wrong investing in materials (or tools!).😃

13 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

If I don't find what I went to the hobby shop for, specifically, I always buy some building materials. Especially when I see the K&S Special Shapes rack. I snag up the 1/32" and 3/64" brass tubing, anytime I see it! Last time I was there, they had K&S square aluminum tube in 3/32" and 1/8", neither of which I'd seen, before. Anyhoo...you can never go wrong investing in materials (or tools!).😃

Plus, of course, it's just plain rude to walk out of a hobby shop without buying something. 
And if it's not rude, it is certainly unnatural. 

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'60 and '63 Ford pickups have arrived, plus I made a couple scores: at an estate sale, about 50 various Dremel accessory bits and grinders for $5, then at a local thrift store, a nice Dremel case to put them in for $10 - and when I popped the tray out, there was a near-new variable speed MotoTool inside.

• Like 2