Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

442 is an AMT or MPC kit, depending on whether it is a Hurst or W30.  The funny car parts and decals are Jo-Han, the 442 body should actually be a decent fit should you wish to go that route.  The GTO body is MPC '69, from the Beswick Super Judge funny car.  No reason it couldn't be built stock, providing an interior could be found.

55 minutes ago, Mark said:

442 is an AMT or MPC kit, depending on whether it is a Hurst or W30.  The funny car parts and decals are Jo-Han, the 442 body should actually be a decent fit should you wish to go that route.  The GTO body is MPC '69, from the Beswick Super Judge funny car.  No reason it couldn't be built stock, providing an interior could be found.

Thanks! That's the reason I love this site. So much useful help!

Later-

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Finally got a package USPS that was sent to me from PA to KY on 3/7/22!! Here is what was in it.

I think I'll just get some steel wheels and tires for the 61 Galaxie and get it on the shelf. The 68 or 69 GTO has a molded in hood and the seat pattern is different, if im not mistaken. Not sure the maker on it. The 442 is the JoHan Tinker's Toy, if I'm not mistaken because it came with a set of the decals. Paint looks good on it. I don't know anything about the 63 Impala with an opening trunk. Never seen one. The paint on the 70 Impala isn't bad. I'll need to respray the roof.

All of this shipped for a great, low price.

If you know any specifics on any of this, let me know.

Later-

Nice bunch of kits there. That would keep me busy for months. The '61 Galaxie looks cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Nice bunch of kits there. That would keep me busy for months. The '61 Galaxie looks cool.

Thanks! Gotta find some wheels for it and clean up some of the decals. Then the Galaxie should be ready for the shelf.

Later-

It was my birthday earlier in the week, so I treated myself to a few things which are now on their way to me.

I got this one wrapped up on the day (having bought it a few days beforehand!):

IMG_8842.JPG.08c906028a291e706e1ed147fba7d5ee.JPG

Looks like a really nice kit, with some alternative parts to build a different year/version. The obvious temptaton is to sit it low on some period alloys, but I might resist that and build it to replicate a 1:1 I saw some years ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks like a really nice kit, with some alternative parts to build a different year/version. The obvious temptaton is to sit it low on some period alloys, but I might resist that and build it to replicate a 1:1 I saw some years ago.

Nice. I've been thinking of getting one of these just for the wheels to do the italeri 1/24 Ford Transit. Same wheels as used on some base model mk2's, and look so much better than what comes in the Transit kit.

Edited by doorsovdoon

I appear to have HLJ'd again. Fujimi has done a "silent reissue" (not well publicized outside of Japanese vendors), which I hopped on as I have several decals for the 12C and these kits had been going for over $100 on the resale market with the kit being OOP for half a decade or more.

20220414_103026.jpg.b8963fa161747d7cfa47ec22be8181e0.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 1:03 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

It was my birthday earlier in the week, so I treated myself to a few things which are now on their way to me.

I got this one wrapped up on the day (having bought it a few days beforehand!):

IMG_8842.JPG.08c906028a291e706e1ed147fba7d5ee.JPG

Happy belated birthday Nigel!

15 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Happy belated birthday Nigel.

24 minutes ago, slusher said:

Happy belated birthday Nigel!

15 hours ago, keyser said:

@Spottedlaurel Happy B’day. 
How far they’ve come building cars. They make really nice looking cars that drive well.
N’s are cool. Drop the Pony on Watanabes or SSR’s. 

Thanks all! Yes, amazing when you look at a modern Hyundai then go back to where they were in early-mid '80s with the RWD Pony and Stellar.

9 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Nice. I've been thinking of getting one of these just for the wheels to do the italeri 1/24 Ford Transit. Same wheels as used on some base model mk2's, and look so much better than what comes in the Transit kit.

I wonder if the Pony wheels would be big enough? Depends how accurate the scaling is of course, but in theory they're 13" and I'd have thought a Mk2 Transit would be 14-15"? Taller van-type tyres might do the job though, perhaps with the addition of a sleeve around the Pony wheel.

I have both kits, I'll compare them at some point.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I appear to have HLJ'd again. Fujimi has done a "silent reissue" (not well publicized outside of Japanese vendors), which I hopped on as I have several decals for the 12C and these kits had been going for over $100 on the resale market with the kit being OOP for half a decade or more.

20220414_103026.jpg.b8963fa161747d7cfa47ec22be8181e0.jpg

That McLaren looks intriguing, haven't seen that before, what can you tell me about it? Have you built one before?

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

That McLaren looks intriguing, haven't seen that before, what can you tell me about it? Have you built one before?

It's a curbside (as all GT3 kits are no matter who has made them), but since the 12C is a mid-engine it does have an engraved engine insert with a few bits to glue on top since you can see it through the rear glass (similar to how NuNu handles the Audi R8 GT3 kits). Fujimi's GT3 are pretty rudimentary in areas you won't see them, the suspension components are more architectural structure pieces rather than any sort of actual equipment, but with the wheels installed the only thing you'll see is the brakes through the wheels. 

I have built one of these, albeit the later 2013+ kit (the one pictured is for the 2010-2012 seasons) and it was a no muss, no fuss build that did very well for itself in the show season it "ran". Studio27 livery and C/F decals installed.

2022-04-15_08-41-06.jpg.5bf68f6676aa76b22bdd51e5568597a0.jpg

2022-04-15_08-41-16.jpg.c32b93fdc1f07422a4b0a369caa19c17.jpg

• Like 2

I was almost not going to stop at this garage sale but I thought "Hey. The first one of the season. Why not?" I picked these up. Boxes are pretty much trashed. The California Cobra was the only one started. That one isn't much of a looker if you ask me. Don't know why as I'm trying to sell kits because I have too many. It's like a sickness. LOL

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I was almost not going to stop at this garage sale but I thought "Hey. The first one of the season. Why not?" I picked these up. Boxes are pretty much trashed. The California Cobra was the only one started. That one isn't much of a looker if you ask me. Don't know why as I'm trying to sell kits because I have too many. It's like a sickness. LOL

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

A year or so, ago, I bought a built-up California Street Vette. It's cleanly built, and unpainted. I had never had one, before, and always loved it. I thought I would take it apart, and build it properly, as soon as I got it. I decided to wait. I stuck it in the display case, and I enjoy seeing it! It did come with a box, and three or four extra pieces. It will probably be within the next couple of things I work on. I have a couple of ideas for it, but, I won't change it much. I am thinking of doing the louvers in carbon fiber decals, and going with a nice pearl orange paint, and, maybe, just maybe, see if I can make a set of aluminum slots, for it. Nice score!

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

A year or so, ago, I bought a built-up California Street Vette. It's cleanly built, and unpainted. I had never had one, before, and always loved it. I thought I would take it apart, and build it properly, as soon as I got it. I decided to wait. I stuck it in the display case, and I enjoy seeing it! It did come with a box, and three or four extra pieces. It will probably be within the next couple of things I work on. I have a couple of ideas for it, but, I won't change it much. I am thinking of doing the louvers in carbon fiber decals, and going with a nice pearl orange paint, and, maybe, just maybe, see if I can make a set of aluminum slots, for it. Nice score!

Thank You Daniel. I'd like to see yours done.

21 hours ago, ewetwo said:

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

You bought Two great kits!  The California vette is hard too find affordable…

From an online auction, the pics of the lot were close to being satellite imagery but this one caught my eye (there was another one that did moreso, but still unpacking all of them and matching the bucket of parts together with the cars....will post another time).

I've not been able to find this from various on-line searches.......(found the hood for it!)

Mustang Wheelstander front.jpg

Mustang Wheelstander back.jpg

Mustang Wheelstander engine.jpg

• Like 2

Cool. Looks like an AMT 65-66 2+2 with the custom parts from the AMT 65 convertible that are similar to Mustang 2 showcar. Front wheels from same place. Cammer looks AMT, has weird breather I’ve seen in pile here. 
Doesn’t look long wheelbase but hard to tell. HTH. As always, other guys know better. Lol. 

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Cool. Looks like an AMT 65-66 2+2 with the custom parts from the AMT 65 convertible that are similar to Mustang 2 showcar. Front wheels from same place. Cammer looks AMT, has weird breather I’ve seen in pile here. 
Doesn’t look long wheelbase but hard to tell. HTH. As always, other guys know better. Lol. 

I though I saw some 1963 Mustang II parts there also. 

My wife has a side-job in Michael’s a couple of nights a week, and I stopped in last night and spotted this on the shelf, with the cellophane cut open and loose

55FE7A0B-C838-4285-82F9-5711587A67E1.thumb.jpeg.af22b53265ff0b0e63e7f05df2c70898.jpeg

Manager on duty offered me 50% off if I wanted it when my wife asked her…brought it home for $14 and change.  Looks like it IS complete too - score!  I’ve been wanting to build the kart in particular, and the truck will make for a fun project at some point I’m sure…

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...