Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Friend in the model club, had a friend give him a bunch of kits from an auction, so he offered the Porsches to me.  I've already built the 959 in 3 versions, so that will go in the for sale box.  The 924 Turbo is in terrible shape, body got smashed and bent the A-pillars, I built the regular version last century and is in my junkyard, so I could build it.  I would never buy the 1/20 scale Entex/Bandai 911 Turbo, motorized, totally wrong wheels and tires, will give that one away.  When I saw the stash, spotted the '72 Chevy pickup, still sealed, so that was worth it for me (even though I have several already, might sell).  Anyway, the price was right.  So even though I sold 4 kits recently, I'm back to too many again. 😅

IMG_3683.jpg

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Finally got a decent restorable one of these for reasonable money. As it was the very first car model I ever got my grubby little gloo-smearing paws on, and made a truly horrible mess of, I've been kinda wanting one to see if I can do any better 60 years on. I also love the looks of all '57 Fords

The one I found was built and painted inside and out some awful baby-exhaust brown, apparently trying to look like something it wasn't, but I rolled the dice anyway. A few hours in warm oven cleaner removed every bit of paint and oddball non-solvent gloo on the test parts, so it looks like I have a nice rebuildable and unbodged kit under all the nastiness. And it came with lotsa extra vintage Revell '57 Ford bits.   :D

Revell Ford 1957 Country Squire station wagon

Glad you scored one" mabe you will get to rebuild it soon!,,

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Finally got a decent restorable one of these for reasonable money. As it was the very first car model I ever got my grubby little gloo-smearing paws on, and made a truly horrible mess of, I've been kinda wanting one to see if I can do any better 60 years on. I also love the looks of all '57 Fords

The one I found was built and painted inside and out some awful baby-exhaust brown, apparently trying to look like something it wasn't, but I rolled the dice anyway. A few hours in warm oven cleaner removed every bit of paint and oddball non-solvent gloo on the test parts, so it looks like I have a nice rebuildable and unbodged kit under all the nastiness. And it came with lotsa extra vintage Revell '57 Ford bits.   :D

Revell Ford 1957 Country Squire station wagon

That was also the first kit my dad brought home to me. He did most (all ) of the work on it. I don't remember much about it, I don't believe it was ever finished. I remember thinking there wasn't any windows.

3 minutes ago, cobraman said:

That was also the first kit my dad brought home to me...

Yup, no "glass". My first one was molded in dark brown. I tried to brush-paint the light colored wood trim with Testors "flesh" enamel, and got it everywhere, naturally.

Then tried to wash it off with thinner. Not enough thinner by far, and a much bigger mess. And on, and on. 

When I look back, it's kinda amazing my parents allowed me to work with tools and paint and glue at a relatively early age. Probably wouldn't find much of that today.

I actually kept the poor thing for years, until it was disappeared from a mini-warehouse when I was out of the country and my useless girlfriend missed a few payments on the space...though I sent her plenty of money.   :mellow:

Image 1 - DRAGON BMW M ROADSTAR 1/24 Model Kit

Did not know this even existed until I saw it at Focus Hobby in Fond Du Lac. Was 20 bucks. That's pretty cheap considering what they go for on ebay. Yes, it came home with me. The prepainted body looks pretty good. No drips or mold lines that I could see.

• Like 2

Filling a few more holes in the "cars I've worked on over the years...and actually liked" part of the collection.

Tamiya 1300 Beetle, for which a '49 split-window conversion is also on the way:

Image 1 - Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen Beetle 1:24 scale model car kit 24136

Tamiya Fiat Abarth 695 SS, a semi-factory hot-rod:

Image 1 - Tamiya 1/24 Model Kit  Fiat Abarth 695SS. Item 89675.

Gunze Fiat Abarth "Assetto Corsa", the full-tilt-boogie race version of much the same car:

Image 1 - Gunze Sangyo 1/24 Fiat Abarth Assetto Corsa Model Kit

And a Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO...probably the Ferrari I'd choose if I could afford a real Ferrari:

Image 1 - Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari 288 GTO 126272

• Like 3

Picked this 1/16 scale Cobra and 917K. Didn't need another 917K,but it was only $10!. The MCW paint is Bare Metal(also dull alum. maybe). Mike was setup across from me with a large display of his paints and some nice resin pieces. Has a lot of enamel colors ready to go! Hard not to buy a bunch... luckily he's close for me.

IMG_20220410_081151796.jpg

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Filling a few more holes in the "cars I've worked on over the years...and actually liked" part of the collection.

Tamiya 1300 Beetle, for which a '49 split-window conversion is also on the way:

Image 1 - Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen Beetle 1:24 scale model car kit 24136

Tamiya Fiat Abarth 695 SS, a semi-factory hot-rod:

Image 1 - Tamiya 1/24 Model Kit  Fiat Abarth 695SS. Item 89675.

Gunze Fiat Abarth "Assetto Corsa", the full-tilt-boogie race version of much the same car:

Image 1 - Gunze Sangyo 1/24 Fiat Abarth Assetto Corsa Model Kit

And a Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO...probably the Ferrari I'd choose if I could afford a real Ferrari:

Image 1 - Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari 288 GTO 126272

Really nice kits Bill!

• Thanks 1

Bought another '69 Country Charger. One of the worst kits out there in regards to fit issues, but man do I love building this one, my third Country Charger build and definitely not my last! This one will be all white with a red trunk stripe and my usual scratch building to the engine bay and suspension.

DSC02683.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Bought another '69 Country Charger. One of the worst kits out there in regards to fit issues, but man do I love building this one, my third Country Charger build and definitely not my last! This one will be all white with a red trunk stripe and my usual scratch building to the engine bay and suspension.

DSC02683.JPG

I watched you build two so I will follow this one also friend…

I was at the Auto Fair this past weekend in Charlotte,North Carolina to look for some parts for my 1:1 project I am working on and ended picking up the Chevelle and Bronco instead.I picked up the MPC Wheeler Dealer M/C,chopper and trailer in a trade with a fellow modeler.Been looking for one for pretty good while. Definitely a bucket list deal for me👍

009EAA56-FD52-4C49-819B-73F69CB190EE.jpeg

B7FF3A4A-C2F7-4ED9-AEC1-CB6F542F7EF3.jpeg

Edited by catpack68

Finally got a package USPS that was sent to me from PA to KY on 3/7/22!! Here is what was in it.

I think I'll just get some steel wheels and tires for the 61 Galaxie and get it on the shelf. The 68 or 69 GTO has a molded in hood and the seat pattern is different, if im not mistaken. Not sure the maker on it. The 442 is the JoHan Tinker's Toy, if I'm not mistaken because it came with a set of the decals. Paint looks good on it. I don't know anything about the 63 Impala with an opening trunk. Never seen one. The paint on the 70 Impala isn't bad. I'll need to respray the roof.

All of this shipped for a great, low price.

If you know any specifics on any of this, let me know.

Later-

20220412_165021.jpg

20220412_165109.jpg

20220412_165926.jpg

20220412_165147.jpg

20220412_165141.jpg

20220412_165227.jpg

20220412_165244.jpg

20220412_165420.jpg

20220412_165433.jpg

20220412_165519.jpg

20220412_165700.jpg

20220412_165711.jpg

20220412_165720.jpg

Good pile. The 64 Impala is AMT. The 63 may be a Revell, I’ve not had one but trunks open, interior has current style detail. 
Goat may be MPC funny car body, 69 maybe. No idea if that interior is correct. The funny reissue didn’t have interior. 
The Galaxie is neat, no year on bumper so might be Styline reissue. Mark and guys will know. 

8 minutes ago, keyser said:

Good pile. The 64 Impala is AMT. The 63 may be a Revell, I’ve not had one but trunks open, interior has current style detail. 
Goat may be MPC funny car body, 69 maybe. No idea if that interior is correct. The funny reissue didn’t have interior. 
The Galaxie is neat, no year on bumper so might be Styline reissue. Mark and guys will know. 

Thanks!

After a closer look, you are correct on the interior bucket. Definitely not for the GTO. Doesn't even fit inside since the body has the retaining posts for the glass or interior.

I thought the 63 may be a Revell. I seem to remember one with an opening trunk. This just had the look of age but I think the pearl white paint may just be yellowed from cigarette smoke.

Later-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

...the 68 or 69 GTO has a molded in hood and the seat pattern is different, if im not mistaken. Not sure the maker on it. The 442 is the JoHan Tinker's Toy, if I'm not mistaken because it came with a set of the decals. Paint looks good on it...

If you know any specifics on any of this, let me know.

20220412_165109.jpg

20220412_165926.jpg

20220412_165420.jpg

20220412_165433.jpg

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

...after a closer look, you are correct on the interior bucket. Definitely not for the GTO. Doesn't even fit inside since the body has the retaining posts for the glass or interior...

The 442 body and chrome are from the MPC/AMT kit.  That's also the source of the interior bucket pictured above.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...