Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I'm gonna try make it to my 1st GSL this year. I'm only a couple hours from Salt Lake City, and that's about as far as I'll get this summer.

May 2nd through the 5th is probably not going to work for me.

Besides that, I'm thinking that the competition is a little beyond my abilities.

I'm not that competitive, and I never think about how one of my builds will fare in an event like this when I'm building it.

I think I'll just stick around for the NNL North show later on in May.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Besides that, I'm thinking that the competition is a little beyond my abilities.

I'm not that competitive, and I never think about how one of my builds will fare in an event like this when I'm building it.

Steve

Steve, I don't think there's any competition that's beyond your abilities.

Not sure I'll make it either, but if I do, it will just be to attend, not compete(it is beyond my abilities).

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

The best reason to go to Salt Lake is for the camaraderie. There are plenty of folks who don't even take anything, just go, to hang out. It's a blast! I won't make it, this year, but, I am going to do everything I can, to make it to the finale, whether or not I have anything I feel I can compete with.

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

The best reason to go to Salt Lake is for the camaraderie. There are plenty of folks who don't even take anything, just go, to hang out. It's a blast! I won't make it, this year, but, I am going to do everything I can, to make it to the finale, whether or not I have anything I feel I can compete with.

My wife is a college professor and will still be working at that time.

No major trips for me until school is out.

It's a long way from Fargo, North Dakota to Salt lake City, Utah. ;)

Steve

16 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Well it is 1124 miles and 17:36 in light traffic. I would guess that going out for some glue would not work. LOL 

image.jpeg.271ae53dcb84fcf71be99014c7a9123d.jpeg

10 hours ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Found a few items at the Countryside toyshow today. The 59 Lincoln was put together with Elmers glue but cleaned up well , picked up a roof for it . Nightmoves had bad decals , but cheap enough.

IMG_20190317_154138399.jpg

IMG_20190317_154158743.jpg

IMG_20190317_154211028.jpg

IMG_20190317_154233688.jpg

IMG_20190317_164850836.jpg

Nice stuff Ken buddy..!  I have the same Lincoln HT but its an old promo with a bad top and glass.  Im in love with some of the stuff in the background...some are on my bucket list.

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Steve. There were models of all skill levels at Salt Lake when we went in 2017. It was just a great time as instead of the whirlwind of a normal 1 day 6-8 hour model show, you had four days to meet and get to know people. I truly enjoyed the experience. And we drove from Ontario, Canada to get there which is a bit further than North Dakota, I think. ;):)

13 minutes ago, peter31a said:

Steve. There were models of all skill levels at Salt Lake when we went in 2017. It was just a great time as instead of the whirlwind of a normal 1 day 6-8 hour model show, you had four days to meet and get to know people. I truly enjoyed the experience. And we drove from Ontario, Canada to get there which is a bit further than North Dakota, I think. ;):)

The distance doesn't really bother me much, and we love Utah. (been there multiple times. Zion National Park is one of my wife's favorite places on the planet.)

But when your other half is nursing instructor at a university, you learn quickly that you don't go anywhere until summer break starts.

If the show were in June or July, I would consider it.

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The distance doesn't really bother me much, and we love Utah. (been there multiple times. Zion National Park is one of my wife's favorite places on the planet.)

But when your other half is nursing instructor at a university, you learn quickly that you don't go anywhere until summer break starts.

If the show were in June or July, I would consider it.

Steve

Distance.... It was Gregg Hutchings that taught me that there was no model show more than a $100-200 air ticket away!   Back in those days there were tons of $99 flights if you booked right.

Steve, as others said  GSL is more about the camaraderie and meeting people from across the USA and Canada, as well as the rest of the world!   Each time I've gone there's been another amazing experience, like drinks with Tom Daniel or a conversation with Bob Paeth.  I've always had a blast.  I've always tucked one model in my carry on luggage just to participate and have never won an award.   

The sad fact is that the aura has scared a lot of people away from GSL.  Fact is that there will be those two dozen amazing pieces on display.  And the rest of the stuff is just models like you and I build!

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Distance.... It was Gregg Hutchings that taught me that there was no model show more than a $100-200 air ticket away!   Back in those days there were tons of $99 flights if you booked right.

Steve, as others said  GSL is more about the camaraderie and meeting people from across the USA and Canada, as well as the rest of the world!   Each time I've gone there's been another amazing experience, like drinks with Tom Daniel or a conversation with Bob Paeth.  I've always had a blast.  I've always tucked one model in my carry on luggage just to participate and have never won an award.   

The sad fact is that the aura has scared a lot of people away from GSL.  Fact is that there will be those two dozen amazing pieces on display.  And the rest of the stuff is just models like you and I build!

Well, I'll just put it this way, I love modeling, but not enough to make it a "vacation destination".

The wife and I get one, or possibly two vacations a year and they are very precious to us.

If I have to decide between having a drink with Tom Daniels or touring along a beautiful mountain road in the Rockies, it's not much of a competition. (No offense Mr. Daniels!) :D

I enjoy going to the occasional show, but it's not important enough to me to get too involved with it.

If it's near enough to me to drive to in an afternoon, I'm game.

If not, it better wind up on an already preset route, or I'm out. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

47 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Found this one. Pretty basic, but I love the subject matter.Pretty sure the supplied decals are unusable, but I'll figure something out.

20190318_071227.jpg

Nice... One of those thousand faces of the old Esci kit. Regardless of the decal's state, I guess this is one of the cases where you should go for painting anyway...

I was in the model contest booth at the Detroit Autorama and was approached by a guy who asked if I knew anyone who bought model kits (who, me? :) ). I asked him what he had. "A couple of '64 Plymouths that I bought may years ago, a Sox & Martin 'Cuda and a '70 GTX". The GTX turned out to be a Monogram kit but the other 3 are Jo-Hans. The ' Cuda is later issue( it's molded in orange) but the '64s are flat box originals. They're not mint but they're unbuilt- and now they're mine.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...