Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I just buy the cheapest basic Mr. Coffee machine I can find and call it good. Can't even remember when I bought the one I have now. Has to be at least 10+ years old and still doesn't burn my coffee even on the longest brew cycle. 

16 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I remember my mom and dad made coffee the old fashioned way….  a stovetop percolator coffee pot. I know my sister found a glass one I’ve been looking for for years.  Coffee tasted 1000 times better than coffee makers today.

I remember the holidays and family get togethers they used an electric percolator coffee pot. 

My dad used those stove top percolators for years. I'm not a daily coffee drinker but I agree they have a way better taste. My dad is from the depression area so he trashes nothing. I found at least 8 old percolators in various stages of repairs that didn't work. Believe it or not he still has and uses an original toaster he and mom where given as a wedding present some 60 years ago.. He did repair the cord but he even half assed that.

Seems Hot Rod and Motor Trend Magazines are going to enhance my reading experience next year by providing me with Four, count them, four "Coffee Table" quality "Collectable" issues instead of clogging my mailbox every month with the ever-thinning magazines they now provide. Will it cost me more? Of course, it will, but only if I renew my subscription, and the way they have been going downhill that may not happen. I have had a subscription to both since the last century and I have been finding both lacking for a few years anyway. Sort of reminds me of another magazine about model building not that long ago. 

5 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I haven't purchased HOT Rod magazine in years. When I go to the store I look at it but never see anything worth buying it for.

I gotta agree. Years ago (I have a sizable collection of old mags, thanks), there were multi-page tech articles with a lot of writing, math, numbers, science...all that kind of boring old-fashioned geezer stuff..

Today it seems to be mostly ads between a few fluff articles apparently written with as few words as possible, and whose primary intent seems to be avoiding TLDR syndrome.

But hey...anything you really need to know, you can just let Google vomit up the wrong answer, and repeat it endlessly while wowing everyone with your knowledge because now you're an expert.

Facts and analysis and basic understanding? We don't need no stinkin' facts and analysis and basic understanding. B)

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My old one had no bells, no whistles, no clock, no internet-connection, wouldn't remind me my dental appointment was coming up, or do the laundry while it cleaned the cat's box.

It was just a simple, dumb machine. You put ground coffee in the filter basket, filled the chamber with a carafe-full of water, turned it to ON, and it made coffee...for 25 years.

The cheapest one I could find today, without going out of my way and wasting time-is-money, is programmable, has lots of cool lights and a screen and pretty buttons that look like they're fun to push.

I'll be surprised if it makes it to two years.

You're right, whatever you buy now will be considered "disposable appliance". If you have flea markets or thrift shops you might find a coffee maker just like you had, and it might still have few years left in it.  Or you seem like a handy guy - have you tried repairing the broken one?  I have repaired many appliances because just like you, I can't find a viable replacements.

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But cruising flea-markets to find the same unit probably isn't my most cost-effective course at the moment (I still work full time building real cars)...nor is fixing the old one, actually...though saving money has nothing to do with my motivation to give it a shot.

I realize that it's not about the money.  I was just suggesting finding a simple one which will last more than couple of years, or reviving the one which you liked and which you served you for a long time.

• Like 1

My wife wanted to replace all my separate coffee appliances (coffee maker, espresso maker and bean grinder) for an overly complex and very expensive do it all mosheen. My Krupp's appliances are all well over 20 years old, still work great and are used almost daily. After reading many reviews of the various machines she wanted to get I'm sticking with the old, simple and reliable. Kinda like me, well maybe not so reliable anymore... 

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

We’ve gotten spoiled since most purchases show up within the week!  Lest we forget the good ole days when anything mailorder was 8-12 weeks. Want those X-ray glasses advertised in the comic book? They’d show up long after you forgot you ordered them! 12 weeks was a lifetime to a young boy

4 hours ago, espo said:

Seems Hot Rod and Motor Trend Magazines are going to enhance my reading experience next year by providing me with Four, count them, four "Coffee Table" quality "Collectable" issues instead of clogging my mailbox every month with the ever-thinning magazines they now provide. Will it cost me more? Of course, it will, but only if I renew my subscription, and the way they have been going downhill that may not happen. I have had a subscription to both since the last century and I have been finding both lacking for a few years anyway.  

Amen to that.  I've read and re-read their exuberant announcement and I'm still not sure I understand their proposed pricing schedule, etc.  It all smells like snake oil to me. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I think I'll see if I can develop a multifuel engine that runs on snake oil or hot air.

Just think...endless free energy.   :)

Can I get entry level stocks Bill?

* Strikes me as a sound investment *!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I think I'll see if I can develop a multifuel engine that runs on snake oil or hot air.

Just think...endless free energy.   :)

With assembly plants near DC and many state capitals.  May as well put them near the "resources"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife was haunting me to get a flu and Covid shots. So I went to pharmacy on Sunday. They didn’t have the Covid shot so I just got the new enhanced flu shot for old folks.

Ling story short, I got hit hard with flu and cold symptoms and haven’t felt well since. This morning I’m feeling well enough to do Thanksgiving but what a hassle!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

My wife was haunting me to get a flu and Covid shots. So I went to pharmacy on Sunday. They didn’t have the Covid shot so I just got the new enhanced flu shot for old folks.

Ling story short, I got hit hard with flu and cold symptoms and haven’t felt well since. This morning I’m feeling well enough to do Thanksgiving but what a hassle!

Tom: Why do you think they call it a 'flu' shot? have a healthy Thanksgiving. Gobble gobble the turkey till you wobble!

greg

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Truth in advertising. They don't call it a flu prevention or flu mitigation shot, do they?  

• Like 1

Current batch of BMF is certainly not the quality product it once was. Sure it adhere's very well and it's a far better product than the recent Chrome batch that everyone complained about.

This just frustrates me to no end, having to remove glue residue that the supposedly "New Improved" leaves behind after trimming and removing excess foil.

BQCl19w.jpg

If you know me, I do a lot black paint jobs. And most would know what its like dealing with black. Previously I could use a very small amount wax and wipe of any glue residue, now it requires a bit of elbow grease to get it removed and fingers crossed I dont get excessive scratches during the clean up process

XWCCFCi.jpg

Also the adhesive does not smooth out after burnishing like it use to. Now your left with a texture in the foil surface finish. Very annoying.

epsLh1g.jpg

And now it comes in zip lock bag, personally I prefer the paper envelope

IS83oyg.jpg

Rant over.

Edited by Cool Hand