Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Microsoft update. Yesterday it let me know it needs to do a big Windows 10 update. I decided to do it at 4 pm and let it restart. I like to restart right away to see if everything went smoothly and everything still works. It seemed to be stuck at 84% 4 hours later. Checked again at midnight and still at 84%. Restarted the computer and got a window with umpteen messages and the update failed. Turned it off.

This morning turned it on and got a blank screen for awhile. Restarted it and it says "working on updates". Got that done and prompted my login. Was the update successful? We all good? Don't know but here I am after all that needless stress.

I’m sick to death of the endless plastic tat being aimed at children in TV advertising and online. All these stupid little dolls and pseudo animals. It all ends up as either landfill (mostly) or if you’re lucky, recycled. A total waste of natural resources. Most of the programmes on commercial TV are just excuses to sell spin-off toys, adding to the problem.

All it does is turn the children into obsessive consumers wanting more and more junk.

That’s my rant of the day.

steve

Just now, Earl Marischal said:

I’m sick to death of the endless plastic tat being aimed at children in TV advertising and online. All these stupid little dolls and pseudo animals. It all ends up as either landfill (mostly) or if you’re lucky, recycled. A total waste of natural resources. Most of the programmes on commercial TV are just excuses to sell spin-off toys, adding to the problem.

All it does is turn the children into obsessive consumers wanting more and more junk.

That’s my rant of the day.

steve

You do know, don't you, that you're speaking to a bunch of people who build plastic model cars, and that most of us starting doing this when we were kids? :lol:

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

You do know, don't you, that you're speaking to a bunch of people who build plastic model cars, and that most of us starting doing this when we were kids? :lol:

I think he means merchandising toys based on all those children TV programs (and movies), not plastic model kits.  Not quite the same.

2 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

I think Snake was having a bit of fun at my expense...

steve

Yes. B)

I even had a song prepared: 

"It's like RAY-ee-ain, on your wedding day, it's a free-ee ride, when you've already paid...." B):lol:

3 hours ago, peteski said:

I think he means merchandising toys based on all those children TV programs (and movies), not plastic model kits.  Not quite the same.

Dunno there's that much difference. Until the big virus dempanic shutdown, my best source of rebuildable glue bombs and even some reasonably priced older kits was a monthly local toy show. It was always packed with both vendors and customers, every month, and models weren't even 5% of it. Most of it was toys, comics, and memorabilia from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and so forth. Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, GoBots, D&D, and just about anything else you can think of. Grown-ass men spending perfectly good U.S. dollars on such stuff, just as I spend them on glue bombs and vintage car stuff. 

Different nerdy strokes for different nerdy folks. B):lol:

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Dunno there's that much difference. Until the big virus dempanic shutdown, my best source of rebuildable glue bombs and even some reasonably priced older kits was a monthly local toy show. It was always packed with both vendors and customers, every month, and models weren't even 5% of it. Most of it was toys, comics, and memorabilia from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and so forth. Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, GoBots, D&D, and just about anything else you can think of. Grown-ass men spending perfectly good U.S. dollars on such stuff, just as I spend them on glue bombs and vintage car stuff. 

Different nerdy strokes for different nerdy folks. B):lol:

Sure, most of us here are old men (over 50) spending lots of money on all sorts of toys (model cars are considered toys after all).  Other old men are into different toys (stuff you mentioned, like Legos, Star Trek, Transformers, and other toys).  We are adults, and we can spend our own money they way we choose.

But I believe Earl was alluding to the fact that children's programs are just an extended infomercials for all the show-themed toys. That is what he objects to. Those nagging kids wanting all those goodies they see on TV.  The boob-tube is turning nice kids into zombie-consumers (with the parents footing the bills).

Edited by peteski

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

But I believe Earl was alluding to the fact that children's programs are just an extended infomercials for all the show-themed toys. That is what he objects to. Those nagging kids wanting all those goodies they see on TV.  The boob-tube is turning nice kids into zombie-consumers (with the parents footing the bills).

That's nothing new, though...there were cartoons peddling product 35-40 years ago when I was a kid...I remember GI Joe, Transformers, etc.

Edited by Rob Hall

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That's nothing new, though...there were cartoons peddling product 35-40 years ago when I was a kid...I remember GI Joe, Transformers, etc.

It wasn’t as organized and efficient back when we were kids!  Yes there was a Herbie the Love Bug model that came out right with the movie, but there was lots of missed opportunities.. for instance in 1968 there was no Speed Racer cars. At 10 I would’ve eaten those up !

Today? A whole aisle of merch is n stores months before the new Disney movie!

Edited by Tom Geiger

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It wasn’t as organized and efficient back when we were kids!  

Parents also weren't afraid to say "no" back when we were kids.

But, then again, I'm a 53 year old man with a 19 month old son. I buy him all kinds of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. I guess I'm going to be a weakling parent myself when he actually starts asking for things.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, TonyK said:

Microsoft update. Yesterday it let me know it needs to do a big Windows 10 update. I decided to do it at 4 pm and let it restart. I like to restart right away to see if everything went smoothly and everything still works. It seemed to be stuck at 84% 4 hours later. Checked again at midnight and still at 84%. Restarted the computer and got a window with umpteen messages and the update failed. Turned it off.

This morning turned it on and got a blank screen for awhile. Restarted it and it says "working on updates". Got that done and prompted my login. Was the update successful? We all good? Don't know but here I am after all that needless stress.

Can you set up the update function to where you can install them manually? Then you can pick and choose what updates you get. I still have Win7 but I had it where when updates came in I could opt out of the "recommended" updates.....

Sent a client in to what USED to be the only alignment shop in town that could get anything correctly aligned. $200 later, her dammed car STILL pulls right just like it did before.

Naturally, the "old guy" who actually understood alignment retired, and the phone-obsessed bozo dwerps working the racks now seem to be incapable of much at all.

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sent a client in to what USED to be the only alignment shop in town that could get anything correctly aligned. $200 later, her dammed car STILL pulls right just like it did before.

Naturally, the "old guy" who actually understood alignment retired, and the phone-obsessed bozo dwerps working the racks now seem to be incapable of much at all.

I really good alignment operator who actually understands how to align a car, or anything else for that matter, has to first understand the function of the different parts and how they  effect each other in function. This is not learned in a one evening or weekend class. This requires basic understanding of the suspension and how it reacts when in motion. Maybe he has an APP for that. 

On 8/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, TonyK said:

So I wasn't the only one this happened to yesterday? I was about to take minutes for a teleconference for an organization I'm secretary of, and all my computers went cuckoo. I ended up using a notebook and pen. Not a big deal, but transcription. God, I wish I had taken shorthand in high school. I almost did, and sincerely regret not doing so.

Charlie Larkin

I had a very weird occurrence.

I went to bid on a resin kit, and for some reason, I've been blocked from bidding?? I had no rules violations (that I've been made aware of), and it also appeared I've been selectively blocked, despite prompt payment.

And I can't find out why because individual questions have been blocked, too.

I find this a bit distressing, and and also a little upsetting. Especially because I can't get answers.

Charlie Larkin

3 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

I had a very weird occurrence.

I went to bid on a resin kit, and for some reason, I've been blocked from bidding?? I had no rules violations (that I've been made aware of), and it also appeared I've been selectively blocked, despite prompt payment.

I find this a bit distressing, and and also a little upsetting. Especially because I can't get answers.

Charlie Larkin

have you had any problems with paypal? or do they not send to your area?

3 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

have you had any problems with paypal? or do they not send to your area?

No PayPal issues. I can't even get a bid in. I submitted my bid, and it was blocked.

I'm thinking of bidding on something else from another seller, and seeing what the results are.

Charlie Larkin

1 minute ago, charlie8575 said:

No PayPal issues. I can't even get a bid in. I submitted my bid, and it was blocked.

I'm thinking of bidding on something else from another seller, and seeing what the results are.

Charlie Larkin

it could be someone has tried to log in on your account, if that happens they will usually email or text you. Someone did that on my account and got a new tv out of it

14 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

...I've been blocked...??  I had no rules violations (that I've been made aware of), and it also appeared I've been selectively blocked...

Sounds rather like the behavior of several social-media sites with whom one posts commentary not strictly in line with the dogma-du-jour...

10 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sounds rather like the behavior of several social-media sites with whom one posts commentary not strictly in line with the dogma-du-jour...

Yes. Especially odd considering I've said nothing negative, and have publicly praised the work I've seen and his casting. Mine had a small issue, but appears fixable (thin spot), but the work...very nice. I know I couldn't do it, and have it come out even 10% as well.

Charlie Larkin

On 8/9/2020 at 3:58 PM, Rob Hall said:

It goes even further back...in the late Sixties there was an animated Hot Wheels show that got yanked after one year.  The main characters all drove cars replicated in the Hot Wheels lineup.  I've heard of one or two early Sixties childrens' shows that supposedly pushed products with tie-ins, but that's before my time.