Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

3 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

It'll be on Mecum or Barrett-Jackson before too long.

No, it won’t.

The people who bought it are more on the preservation side that the flip it for money side of the hobby. They have a bunch of Barris cars including the original Futura Batmobile SS well as the Hirohata Merc. This is the best possible outcome for this car as they will be stewards of the car rather than trying to make a quick buck off of it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Wow...

Great article find. I hope they restore it to her former glory.

From what I read in the Autopian article I posted on the old thread about this car and it’s builder, they’re taking it to the GNRS and then Detroit show as is, the Dave Shuten, the guy in the flannel with glasses and big grin on the left in Eliana's last pic is going to restore the car, so it’s in good hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

Who's waiting to hear from Steve Scott? I wonder if he'll claim to start legal action if its exhibited as the Uncertain T for violating his rights? 

I had the same thought ever since seeing the Autopian article this morning!

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

Who's waiting to hear from Steve Scott? I wonder if he'll claim to start legal action if its exhibited as the Uncertain T for violating his rights? 

Wonder if he’s going to refund all the people that donated money for him to move back to the mainland and buy the car back?  Not much change of that happening now (as if there ever was…)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

I'm sure some lawyer would be happy to take his money. But he has no copyright and obviously hasn't owned the car for years.

He stated he was trying to get access to the car to produce his kit.

I seriously doubt he has the money to refund. When this came up originally there were numerous people that said it was never going to h appen for a variety of issues. 

I’ve had this on the shelf for a few years - maybe this should be the year I actually restore it:

2A8613E2-B5E2-46F5-85B4-4198A8775D4B.thumb.jpeg.66ca56e14366ba9a67468c22d61b0771.jpeg

Will need to repair some parts and I want to resin case some of the more interesting unique-to-this-kit parts for use on future builds first…I kinda wish I’d kept the brand-new-in-box mint kit I had a few years ago but someone offered me a crazy amount of money for it so I let it go…

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

That was I saw too, they have done a lot to preserve and/or restore a lot of customs, rods, and show cars from then. Think if I were in the owner’s shoes, this is the group I would contact too.

I do wonder how Steve Scott May respond to this news, is he still at least a bit off his rocker?

I've talked to Steve Scott on Facebook a few times and through email. He did seem a bit "off" to me. Nice fella, but some of his story didn't add up. I think he knew where the car was and who had it but was told unequivocally that he would never get it back. Bad blood I guess. 

2 minutes ago, heyjohnxx said:

I don't understand the fuss. What is it about this thing?

It's from before my time, but my understanding is it's a fairly famous show rod that's been hidden away for decades, so it's re-appearance will get attention.  

On 1/24/2024 at 3:40 PM, heyjohnxx said:

I don't understand the fuss. What is it about this thing?

You need context to fully grasp it. Radical Out of the Box thinking show car from the mid sixties...prior to the Tom Daniels era. At the time as crazy if not crazier than any of Ed Roth's cars. The fact that it was a quality build done by an unknown guy just out of high school, in his parents garage, and won multiple show awards added to the buzz. ( Famous TV Movie car designer George Barris supposedly slapped Steve Scott for some perceived transgression at an awards ceremony ). All this plus a well-selling Monogram model combined to give it a bit of legendary status...then in a flash it all went away. ( The over the top ridiculousness of later show cars may have played a part in that. ) Suffice it to say the disappearance of both the car and the builder in the post sixties only added to the mystique. ( that... and the rareity of the model kit after the molds were gone. )                  Not everyone's Holy Grail...but the few original kits out there do fetch big bucks....

Edited by styromaniac
grammar
  • Like 1

I understand this thing hasn't been in public for 50 years. I understand the kit is rare and brings high prices. What I don't understand why people go nuts over this fuggly thing. Definitely to each their own. I never did understand the appeal of these show rods.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, heyjohnxx said:

I understand this thing hasn't been in public for 50 years. I understand the kit is rare and brings high prices. What I don't understand why people go nuts over this fuggly thing. Definitely to each their own. I never did understand the appeal of these show rods.

I've never understood the appeal of show rods or George Barris stuff...but I think a lot of that is generational...sort of 'you had to be there'... as a kid in the late 70s-80s I had no interest in show cars, just not my genre of interest.   I was obsessively reading Road & Track, Motor Trend and Car and Driver.   

On 1/23/2024 at 6:16 PM, Joe Handley said:

No, it won’t.

The people who bought it are more on the preservation side that the flip it for money side of the hobby. They have a bunch of Barris cars including the original Futura Batmobile SS well as the Hirohata Merc. This is the best possible outcome for this car as they will be stewards of the car rather than trying to make a quick buck off of it.

Time will tell... It's one of those cars that would most likely bring crazy money at auction.  Hopefully the new owners will keep and preserve it since it's a part of hot rod history.  

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

Time will tell... It's one of those cars that would most likely bring crazy money at auction.  Hopefully the new owners will keep and preserve it since it's a part of hot rod history.  

If it went to auction after being restored, it would indeed bring stupid money. And a generation later it would be worth a small fraction of the purchase price.

As someone noted above, it is a generational thing. It's value is in the nostalgia it holds for a small demographic in a specific age range, and that generation is buying farms at an increasing rate. In twenty years there will be few people left who know what it is, and far fewer who care.

• Like 1