Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many kits do you buy in one day

Ok,I now realize i have a real prob with Kit acquisition syndrome.I have done 5

Not proud of myself but some of  the kits was kinda a bargain you just hate to pass  cause you know it wont last long.

Edited by Spruslayer
title

My record was 78. Several years ago when kits were about $10 each our local Wally World was scheduled for reconstruction.  They had a bunch of models reduced to $2.50 to empty the shelves before the work could begin. I was looking at the kits trying to figure out which ones to buy and the department manager saw me. We talked a bit and he commented that they really needed to be gone by the end of the day. I said I'd buy them all if the price was right. His reply was, ""What about $1 each." I replied, "Let me get a buggy."

Well, no where near 78, but I bought 11 kits one day whilst on a business trip. I was working in a city with a decent hobby shop that had a great selection, much better than my hometown LHS. I was being paid a per diem, and I was on that job for three weeks, so I ate frugally and saved my per diem money, and had a heck of a shopping spree at the hobby store near the end of the trip. In addition to the 11 new kits I bought several sheets of Slixx decals, a few modelling tools, and numerous bits and pieces. It was a great day.

Several years ago a local hobby shop had acquired a collection and was offing the kits for $15 each( these were Tamiya and Hasegawa  rally car and road racing kits) I bought about 20 of them. It was the one and only time I've ever used my credit card to buy kits.

7 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I don't have an exact number, but usually it is around 10 kits +/- and it usually happens at the same time each year ... NNL East Saturday! LOL

Yep, what Bill said since we're partners in crime when it comes to kit buying especially at NNL East or Motor City NNL.

Years ago (1993 ish) when Ertl owned AMT and MPC there was an outlet near the factory in Dyersville, IA. I made occasional trips to Dyersville for work, it was hit and miss for kits worth buying. I think I came close to 100 one day. Typically damaged boxes sold for $2.50 or less and $1 kits were common. I was loading a second cart when one of the stockers came out with a damaged case (12) of the just released 69 Olds 442. I asked how much they would be and she said $6 for the case if she did not have to open it, on the cart it went.

Many years ago I flew into Dayton Ohio on a business trip and a friend let me know that Dollar General I think it was had Fujimi GT40s on sale for $4.00 each.  I rushed over there and bought about 10 of them.  I must have been quite a sight with this huge bag trying to get it into the overhead and then the bag broke!