Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

On 5/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, Modlbldr said:

Working on some taillights. I've been looking for a set of these forever. Guess I have to make them. I have a JF resin chopped 49 Ford that I'd like to build with these taillights.

Later-

20220511_102457.jpg

Love that 1:1!  If you're building something along those lines that's gonna be a nice looking project!

• Like 1

I finished a build! Last November at the Motor City N.N.L. I was given a beautifully painted Testor/ Fujimi Mercedes 500 SL by one of my fellow local modelers. He got it as part of a collection he bought and since it wasn't a subject he built he passed it to me gratis. While in the midst of finishing it I found out why the original builder gave up on it. The body had a  noticeable twist so the windows didn't snuggle up as they should. But I clamped the windows while gluing them and everything went together. It even sits level.

• Like 2

Further> in my build of my Surfite 2, I have covered the Tiki Hut in coffee sticks and converted it to a bar, suitably painted, also decaled the three surfboards, from my decal collection.

photo1-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

Also today, cutting out new clear plastic stock for both front and rear windscreens and fitting in place. The kit clear plastic strip is opaque due to it's age.

The picture below shows my first Surfite with four rear wheels/tyres from a Meyers Manx kit. This is one of my many Meyers Manx kits but lowered with Centrelines, as I think I'll fit to the Surfite 2.

photo1-vi.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 4

Update: finally finished and fitted the body and the Centrelines, also shown my previous Surfite build.

photo5-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

A bit more to do on number 2, rear view side mirror, exhaust, number plate surround, windscreen wiper, plus one for the rear window (if I can find one) etc, plus decals I can find in my collection and self printed box.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:34 PM, PatW said:

Update: finally finished and fitted the body and the Centrelines, also shown my previous Surfite build.

photo5-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

A bit more to do on number 2, rear view side mirror, exhaust, number plate surround, windscreen wiper, plus one for the rear window (if I can find one) etc, plus decals I can find in my collection and self printed box.

Now in the completed section.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, PatW said:

Further> in my build of my Surfite 2, I have covered the Tiki Hut in coffee sticks and converted it to a bar, suitably painted, also decaled the three surfboards, from my decal collection.

photo1-vi.jpg

I’ve been to that Bar! It was one of the stops on a booze cruise I went on in Jamaica! 😎

On 5/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, Brudda said:

carpet and painted seats on the Ferrari 166

AFD31B58-94BE-47D3-B77E-22972F48456B.jpeg

F075812E-6B7D-48F4-8AF4-186D3EB75113.jpeg

920A28CC-8DA0-4354-A522-61A34F8A4655.jpeg

AE6C69A9-E265-48EA-AAF6-E12714527F09.jpeg

3BA0DD19-7E34-4FB7-A516-53FC6474C665.jpeg

Slight scratches in the finish, but that red is popping man.  What color red is that? Rough red or specific dealer red? Looks sharp! What you using for carpet? Bout looks better than regular method and less messy lol.

Edited by Dpate

I have two WIP on this forum, that have become ancient history, because I got to the point of needing to make suspension.  So this project demanded a reworked suspension, but it doesn't have a differential and axle with CV boots, so I wasn't daunted.  Pleased that it sits on all four first try.
IMG_3935.thumb.jpg.5281401bd652b24782045aec84884412.jpg

• Like 2

Resin casting; I couldn't find anyone locally to teach me (and I hate trial and error -- since I'm almost 77 years old don't have time to waste!) so since my nice wife bought me the MircroMark start up kit in 2018 I finally started experiemting.  First lesson -- which I sorta' knew -- dont let two-part products sit beyond a reasonable time; they exceed their expiration dates.  Yep, had to go  back and buy both resin and casting gel!  Well, the old resin does do some interesting things; not get completely hard, for one.  As one of my more ambitious projects was to cast the old school Fireston Indy/road race profile tires, I got a mold made to copy one of Indycal's resins -- so I wonder if a less than brittle-hard tire from the over-aged resin components would work?

Using the new, I've made: copies of the Hawk 1939 M-B Grand Prix DOHC blown V-12 (basis for a phantom Harry Miller V-12), the Monogam Indy car (Kurtis, I think) roadster Offy DOHC 4, the Halibrands from my 1959 Strombecker Scarab kit (where I'll also need tires), all but the block (I don't find) for a '66 Pontiac SOHC 5, a Jaguar DOHC head (orign unknon) with SU's and headers, the rare 1962 Pontiac 2X4 manifold from AMT, and a slew of transmissions in 1/25, something we can always use.  Also the 1/16 AMT Accel turbo from the '55 Nomad kit, a Mono trimmed GMC 4-71 blower from the Black Widow kit, and well. more. I have a big pile of 'learner' molds, and a smaller pile of good usable ones.   Mostly I'm doing parts I can cast as surface molds; a and b sides filled and used as slugs.  You can see my emphasis; stuff I can't fine from the supportive hobbyists like you.  If youre interested in these parts, maybe we can swap some??  Wick

This is a fun detail to do, but you need fine solder wire.  I started at one end with enough of this superglue (which I love), let it cure enough before pulling around the edge then glue, quickly wipe with paper towel.  The back was started at one end of the center, glued along the top, then this is where the solder is the bomb, bent around to continue down the sides.  This was a really fun detail to add.

IMG_4071.thumb.jpg.371b6a32cf6247bee5859957cb52ff48.jpg

• Like 1