Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!   Just a little update, this paint is crazy time consuming, and I'm taking big-long breaks to avoid frustration..  haha.

I got one entire side done, so there is some progress...

I have kind of re-thought my plan for this, once these shapes/shading is done, I'm going to back mask them and shoot the Mazda Soul red around the perimeter of the panels.

Then a couple of light coats of 2K clear, this will seal up all of this hard work before spraying the rainbow kandies.  Once its sealed if I mess up the Kandy I can wipe it off with thinner and not destroy the panel shading. 

Hopefully that works... I like the look so far,  its similar to the "endless line" technique but with a twist. 

IMG_3058.jpg

Loving the paint so far!

I was looking through some pics of the Oakland Roadster Show in the late 60s/early 70s recently, and you're nailing the aesthetic for sure. The only thing missing now is some rainbow-hued shading!

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys!! Finally got my workshop up and running and this thing back on the bench!

On 6/29/2020 at 4:28 PM, CabDriver said:

Yeah, that’s KILLER!  It’s going to look GREAT!  What’s going on the two ‘bare’ panels on the roof and hood?  Or are they just spots you haven’t got to yet?

I'm thinking some linear rainbow candy stripes there...I think that will look cool... if it doesnt, Ill have to figure something else out, its kinda an area for some extra creative freedom.. haha

paint.jpg.9d112ad4317214f767fd8a0928ed9f90.jpg

Back masked with old Gold BMF...  doesnt stick all that well... which is perfect for masking.

paint2.jpg.d771a5991b7e51ec05704ea2cd303e32.jpg

Then some Splash paints Mazda Soul Crystal Red...   Had a much better time spraying it a second time, also the smaller areas were easier to keep the candy coat even.

paint6.jpg.b3e93e2e2b935e6ac88761b2f1da0d82.jpgpaint4.jpg.991bace8428e722d987596f82962adc1.jpg

Next up some more urethane clear... another round of wet sanding... then rainbow candys and BMF trim! 

paint5.jpg

Edited by Impalow

I had wondered what had happened to this build. Great looking color. I saw a newer Mazda in a parking lot the other day and the color looked like the one you're using. In the sun it really showed the cars body lines and was a very deep looking color.