Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24th scale Jaguar E-Type FHC: Test Shots

On 6/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, ZTony8 said:

The windshield height/ side window height relationship is definitely off. Hope they fix it before regular production. And that funny kick up at the lower quarter window doesn't look to be easily remedied. A convertible will solve both of those issues.

That was my first impression also - the roof looks like it has been chopped - it is definitely too low; also the tire diameter seems to be a bit undersized (at least for the time of the original !)

Interestingly, the wipers on RHD cars parked on the right (driver's side) and on LHD, parked on the left. The motors differed not the arms, but the 3 arms on the kit seem to only park on the right.  You can see the difference on the few photos I've posted of the flat floor LHD coupe, and the RHD OTS. Not a hard fix, I didn't really see 2 sets of 3 wipers, and there shouldn't really be, since arms are the same.

Windshield and roof look different without the chrome to differentiate the line at the molding. Need a kit in my hands to tell, but roof looks really good shapewise to me. Lower window line not a difficult fix, again my look better with chrome in place.  My tuppence. 

Slightly OT, but looking at that picture, I wonder if you could take the sills off the Heller lower section in the middle only (not the rear valance), fix them to the upper body, and have enough room to slide the interior up and in through open back end after eliminating the seams fore and aft of the doors. I’d forgotten there really is a seam behind the rear bumpers...

best,

M.

You may have hit on the only way to make a more conventional build of this kit, Matt.  Because it follows that uniquely Heller practice of integrating the DLO side windows with the inside door panels in one clear part that you glue from inside the body shell, you wouldn't have to spread the rocker panels to get the body over the interior.  As you describe it, the body should just drop right on once you've done the surgery.

Only things I can imagine complicating the process are the rear splash aprons for the front wheels, molded to the forward sections of what you want to cut loose. Still, I think that'd beat trying to paint a filled body fuselage-style, around a complete interior and drive train as the aircraft guys always have to do.

13 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

You may have hit on the only way to make a more conventional build of this kit, Matt.  Because it follows that uniquely Heller practice of integrating the DLO side windows with the inside door panels in one clear part that you glue from inside the body shell, you wouldn't have to spread the rocker panels to get the body over the interior.  As you describe it, the body should just drop right on once you've done the surgery.

Only things I can imagine complicating the process are the rear splash aprons for the front wheels, molded to the forward sections of what you want to cut loose. Still, I think that'd beat trying to paint a filled body fuselage-style, around a complete interior and drive train as the aircraft guys always have to do.

The best part of this kit that I can see is that they solved the rocker panel seam problem found on almost all other E-Type kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Roncla said:

I love the art work on the box but  the shape of the model looks a bit awkward to my eyes, particularly the height of that windscreen.

Yes they really dropped the ball on this one. Apparently they have fitted the roadster windscreen to the coupe. To be able to reuse two parts for an upcoming roadster kit? Hopefully this can be fixed without too much work.

18 hours ago, dbostream said:

Yes they really dropped the ball on this one. Apparently they have fitted the roadster windscreen to the coupe. To be able to reuse two parts for an upcoming roadster kit? Hopefully this can be fixed without too much work.

This one?  The Panamera body has several inaccuracies in addition to poor molding.  At least Revell is inconsistent at getting things wrong, as opposed to being consistently wrong. Recent offerings like the 599 GTO, Aperta, AMG GT, or McLaren 570s are pretty good.

Edited by BVC500

4 hours ago, BVC500 said:

This one?  The Panamera body has several inaccuracies in addition to poor molding.  At least Revell is inconsistent at getting things wrong, as opposed to being consistently wrong. Recent offerings like the 599 GTO, Aperta, AMG GT, or McLaren 570s are pretty good.

I don't have the Panamera so I didn't know. I usually like Revell I am just disappointed they couldn't tool my favorite car accurately seems unlikely we will see another new tool of the E-Type any time soon so this felt like the last chance to get a really good one. I guess the roadster version, if they do one, will be really good though.

Edited by dbostream

I'm not entirely certain they've got it as wrong as the Hannants pictures would imply. The rear 3/4 view looks nearly dead on while the front 3/4 view looks like the car is missing 3 scale inches of wheelbase. I have to wonder if any amount of digital retouching combined with the photography angles are giving us some unintentionally misleading information.     

• 2 months later...