Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford Coupe hot rod 'The Notso Special'

Rocking Rodney Rat

I wanted to build an old school tough as nails basic hot rod. This reminds of Robert Williams painting. Tearing down the street with chickens scattering, dog pack snarling after, trash cans being bowled over while women and kids fleeing in terror!!!!

1930 Ford Coupe based on the old Monogram kit with a treated to a heavy chop. '32 grille shell from the Revell Rat Roaster kit.

Frame from the AMT 1932 Phantom Vickie with reveals added and scratch built crossmembers.

Engine is a back-dated SBC with three-2s, Chevrolet script valve covers and ram horn headers, T5 transmission (real hot rods have three pedals).

Front suspension from the Revell '29 roadster, rear suspension is a QC from RMCM.

Spartan interior with a bench seat from a Revell '32 roadster.

Paint is Tamiya TS-14 "any color you want Henry Ford black".

The Notso Special.  Buildup pix here: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/30-model-a-coupe-87b/ 

-RRR

90kujy.jpg

iounh.jpg

lkjhgf.jpg

qw34t546.jpg

zxcvbnm.jpg

5v5brb.jpg

dv d dv v.jpg

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

Wow, fantastic. I love the look, and the execution. Great wheel-tire choice, and the de-chromed brightwork complements the black paintwork nicely.  I like the Monogram '30 coupe body so much more than the new Revell coupe (sorry Revell *shrug*).... but the combination of both Monogram and Revell parts (and some AMT too!) creates just the right flavor. Well done!

*edit* Oh, and killer job on the frame reveals and beltline molding. I actually forgot for a moment that the AMT Phantom Vicky frame doesn't have a reveal.

Edited by Spex84