Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Model Car Preference*

What type of kits do you tend to gravitate to?  I grew up watching the old Gasser's drag race at the local 1/4 mile drag strip back in the 60's and 70's so that's the kits I like and the Muscle cars are right up there on the list.  Just finished the 1956 Ford Truck Foose addition.  Unfortunately a lot of the old cool Gasser's are the older kits and hard to find or a little pricey.  My all time favorite it the Revell kit of Big John Mazmanian's 1941 Willy's Gasser.  The pic of the 41 Willy's Gasser is not mine, the 56 Foose truck is mine.       

1941 Will's.jpeg

DSC01765.JPG.1951c4eb9051cf06c3ee89f955bf7fed.jpg

Edited by Zippi

I like to diversify. I initially stuck with hot rods & muscle cars. Still what I build most. But I do feel the need to do other subjects. Among these are; pickup trucks, semi rigs, (only two so far.). Tamiya & fujimi sports/race cars, station wagons, etc. One of my current builds is the ICM Opel Admiral. All this opens my eyes to different kit engineering, (multi piece bodies, etc.), and sharpens my skills. Lord knows I need that. 

20200314_092322_HDR.jpg

I build a lot of vws and the whole v.a.g. family of vehicles is my preference. I do build other stuff too and like anything custom. Just now my bench is weighed down with multiple vws but I have a speedboat and some USA pick ups next in line

DSC05938.JPG

Edited by stitchdup
forgot pic

So far several my builds have been but not exclusively replica's (or at least close to) of my former cars and my current TransAm. I still have a few more to do yet. Other than that, '57 Chevy's (1 replica is done) are a favorite of mine.

All Tri5's, GM muscle cars (only Ford the GT350H that was a present), 60's and early 70's Vettes and Porsches.  Early Gassers and other Drag cars are appealling too.  

Unfortunitly, there isn't enough time to do a whole lot of what I would want to build tho I do have the kits (and I'm fully retired).    Oh well😎

First of all, there are some really awesome models posted on this thread already... great work people! 

I originally got into modeling when I was around 10 and I really liked military stuff, mostly tanks and infantry and some airplanes, but as I got older I really got into muscle cars and sports cars. I went through a dry spell for awhile and years later came back into it building only muscle cars ..... Then I went through another dry spell for about 10 years and recently returned (and found this excellent forum), and so far have been building only Shelby race cars. I remember saying to myself that from now on I’m only going to build cars that were “super legendary”...... Haha, I’m sure that will change, but for the most part I only want to build vintage racing cars and maybe the occasional random muscle car or something once in a while. But then sometimes I find myself wanting to do 4x4’s, so maybe I should diversify.    ???

I like Bugatti’s, Cobras, Jaguars, post war hot rods- mainly deuce and A roadsters, pre and postwar customs, Millers, Duesenbergs, dual overhead cam engines, the 1953 Studebaker hardtop, 1961-1963 T-birds and Lincoln Continentals, post war Dodge power wagons, wood speed boats, almost anything with outrageous styling. Doug Whyte’s Studebaker custom is a real favorite. 

I would say I have preferences, but then I look at what I've built, and what is in the stash, and I'm all over the map.

It appears I am most into Porsches and Big Rigs.

But I also like:

• anything European
  • pickups
  • late 60s muscle car
  • anything from movies, tv, or pop culture
  • anything late 80s or 90s

I was into airplane models as a kid, mainly military. When I switched to cars in high school, it was pontiac firebird and trans ams only. Then I branched out to other GM muscle cars. Now I'm all over the place. I like the challenge of different eras, trim styles and looks.

On my bench right now is a 67 impala, 77 camaro, 70 1/2 camaro, 65 Chevy truck and an 86 Monte Carlo aeroback. Yeah, I'm a GM fan.

as a kid it was almost anything, then it became anything and everything Mopar  then started to branch out to other brands of muscle cars with a few classics thrown in (mostly tri 5) and a bit of drag race stuff. I guess I've built bought traded and sold way to many of those type kits cause now I won't even look at them and haven't bought a kit from those catagories in years and can't think of a single new kit they could make that would interest me, so now its pickups and other lifted 4x4 stuff, air cooled VW, Porsche and big rigs which I have been buying quite a few of

I love the 60’s gassers too (as a kid I remember seeing Big John’s Willys at Lions in 1964, left a big impression on me...). Love all the early 60’s drag cars, been building a lot of super stockers over the last few years.

2C7CB6A6-5C11-455D-B9BE-5F80D3DAFDDF.thumb.jpeg.b5e6ae4fbc44f753fc178cd5c65529b2.jpeg

I build everything, stock and drag 1/24-1/25 cars, classic sports cars, 1/350 ships, 1/32 WNW planes, 1/20 F1 cars, WWII warbirds,.... I love 1/35 armor/ AFV subjects but suck at it so only have one finished tank (the excellent Tamiya Matilda) that I haven’t taken a hammer to.

1/350 ships are the most challenging in terms of assembly (tiny photo etch, complex painting/ masking, laser cut wood decks, rigging E-Z lines, handling a big awkward model with tiny delicate vulnerable details). I’m lucky to do one ship a year. Hardest part of car modeling is shiny paint. Good shiny paint jobs are really challenging for me and totally unforgiving! Dullcote can hide a lot of mistakes.

Some of my favorite model builds were “camping models”, old classic late’50’s- 6o’s kit re-pops from flashy original molds built outside in a campground with tube glue, no paint, a dull X-acto knife and worn out sanding stick and liberal consumption of beer or Wild Turkey during the build. 

A buddy of mine said every build of mine is different, but when he sees a model, he knows it’s mine!  

I built models as a kid.. back then it was anything I could get. I stopped building but still browsed the model aisle in toy stores and occasionally would buy something, mostly Mopar.

I got back to the hobby with two false starts that ended in frustration because I still had my 15 year old skills. I found Scale Auto in a book store and saw a club advertised. I thought I’d join to learn the skills to do my 24 Mopar kits justice. 

Car wise, I like a wide variety of vehicles. More compact cars than muscle or luxury, odd foreign cars and cars from my youth, 1950s and 1960s cars.

I found that I was easily influenced. My new club had a contest for 57 Fords so I suddenly was into them. I met Joe Cavorley, who introduced me to light commercial and weathering, which I suddenly loved!

Clubs, shows and message boards introduced me to more areas, so now I’m building a series of old Monogram Model A’s. I love to build old pickups even though I’ve never owned one!  

I’ve gotten into the history of our hobby and I collect old custom builds from the early days. I carefully restore them as needed, and preserve them as the folk art of our youth.

It’s easier to list what I don’t build or have an interest in. I don’t build race cars, no interest in NASCAR, Indy or International racing. I don’t like exotic cars and I have no connection to big rigs.

And that box of Mopars that got me into this? I’ve never built a single one of them!

I like a narrow variety. Mostly stuff that I grew up with. Car-wise, I like muscle cars and Classics by all makes, and Hot Rods. I’m not into exotics or what I consider mundane daily drivers. I also Enjoy trucks of any kind and especially 4x4’s.

Just about anything domestic, or foreign (from an American point of view) from 1967 to the present day, except drag racing subjects. I would have to say my absolute favorite era is the mid 70s to the early 80s, the transition era  from big RWD platforms to smaller cars and the rapid advances makes it interesting to me.