Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

The Ollie's in Winston-Salem, NC had a good selection of the Coke Generals, a few Chevy II wagons, some Big-Rig Semi trailers, and some other assorted stuff. There was one 72 Chevy pickup, it had been opened; I took a quick peek inside, saw it was molded in red and put it back on the shelf. One of the Coke Generals and a Chevy II wagon left the store in my protective care.

3 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

The store near Hiawassee and Colonial (Orlando Fl) had the Rat Fink trucks and trailers, the mail trucks and a couple D50s today. 

It would be great if they kept getting restocks for a while of the kits they do get so the resellers wouldn't have as much of a market. 

I think we're already seeing that. Usually Ollie's kits get wiped out pretty quick, but seems like these have been lingering on the shelf. Be interesting to see how many Ollie's kits show up at Modelpalooza in Kissimmee in 3 weeks!

42 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I think we're already seeing that. Usually Ollie's kits get wiped out pretty quick, but seems like these have been lingering on the shelf. Be interesting to see how many Ollie's kits show up at Modelpalooza in Kissimmee in 3 weeks!

I would check this store again in a week or so but I think I've only got a couple of days left at this job where I pass the store. From my last post it's been almost a month since I last stopped there.

9 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

The Ollie's in Winston-Salem, NC had a good selection of the Coke Generals, a few Chevy II wagons, some Big-Rig Semi trailers, and some other assorted stuff. There was one 72 Chevy pickup, it had been opened; I took a quick peek inside, saw it was molded in red and put it back on the shelf. One of the Coke Generals and a Chevy II wagon left the store in my protective care.

WAIT A MINUTE! The Coke pickup trucks some of which are molded in red?... Ill have to check both my new kits then

The Coca-Cola version of the Chevy pickup is molded in red.  The Racer's Wedge version is all white.

Ironically, the original MPC '71 Wedge kit was molded in red except for the ramp body which was white.  So, by combining the two current issues you could piece one together with the same combination of red and white parts as the original.

18 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I bought the Coke Plymouth yesterday. Should have read the contents as it is molded in yellow. Ugh! Trade it off somewhere. 

16 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Merrillville, IN store is down to the dregs: about a half dozen Model T Depot Hacks, couple of the Revell snap kits, and some silly non-automotive junk.

Actually, come to think of it, they did also have some semis/trailers on the bottom shelf too.

Thanks for the update - I was going to be somewhat nearby tomorrow and considered stopping in…but I’ll give it a few weeks and see if they get a restock