Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

The body is now mated with chassis on the 1950 Chevy pickup. For my early impressions that the kit went together well, are completely changed by the last few steps. The inner fenders do not have a  sure fit. And when one of them is slightly askew, the front of the body will not settle down against the chassis. It took me a few tries before I got it, only slightly ahead of the point where it would’ve been aimed at the wall. Now I need to glue the bed on and it seems that with cab secured onto its pegs, the pegs for the bed don’t exactly line up.  Let’s see if I can finish this tomorrow.    

On a better note, I got the license plate made today and I’m pretty pleased.

After dealing with a bunch of squirrels,  I was able to get a bit done on both my group builds. I was able to get all the vinyl grain sanded off the top of my Challenger and glued in place. I also cut out the center of a modern Challenger hood and grafted it into the old hood. It is all roughed in and now for filler...

I also replaced the plastic wood on my lowboy with basswood strips. I marked out all the bolt heads, washed with various thinned oil paints, and topped everything off with different chalk powders. Here is where I am on that.

20200406_134107.jpg

20200406_151145.jpg

20200406_181713.jpg

20200406_181726.jpg

20200406_120903.jpg

20200410_101911.jpg

20200410_183855.jpg

Poured '63 Riviera standard wheelcover #2 and pressure potted it, along with some extra singles: two styles of '57 Plymouth, '57 DeSoto, '59 Continental and '60 Ford pickup, plus another '36 Ford wheel center and ''63 Nova taillight bezel to use up the extra resin.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Poured '63 Riviera standard wheelcover #2 and pressure potted it, along with some extra singles: two styles of '57 Plymouth, '57 DeSoto, '59 Continental and '60 Ford pickup, plus another '36 Ford wheel center and ''63 Nova taillight bezel to use up the extra resin.

Nice! I recently took a class on resin casting. I did this mold for the transmission in the Revell ‘68 Charger kit from the left over silicone. I want to steal one engine/trans for a project which leaves me 1 transmission short.? You would think Revell could afford to give you two gearboxes? Especially since these are separate... an auto and a manual would be nice. That said, it is a rewarding feeling when you pull off a nice casting!

E87AED5D-4639-4D3A-A64C-E6BFFA8DF638.jpeg

6EEA6FAA-D36B-44D3-9581-D268CDA2381B.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Nice work! I'm still on the low side of the learning curve with two-part molds, but I'm getting there. Gotta start making knockoffs for all those wire wheels!

Just popped the goodies out of the pot - all came out perfect (whew) including another set of Car Craft Dream Rod wire wheels I forgot to mention.

Still working on some good solutions to working out some hood hinges that either work like real ones, or at least would be removable so that the model can be displayed with the hood open, or closed without having to cut big slots in the firewall for the hinges to retract into.

This is what I am trying out on this project.

The hinges in the AMT '62 Catalina kit are very nicely proportioned and detailed, so I decided to try to incorporate them into the build.

My thought was to add some pins with heads to the underside of the hood, and then add a slotted plate to the hinge so that the hinge could be quickly slid onto the hood.

I ordered some 1/8" x 1/32" disk magnets that can then be added to the base of the hinge and the firewall so that the loose hinges can be slipped onto the hood and then snapped into position on the firewall.

This way they can be very quickly removed for display with the hood closed.

Of course the draw back is loose hinges laying around to get lost. :P

But, I usually keep any loose parts not on the model in the clear acrylic cases that I store them in anyway, so I should be able to keep track of them.

Anyway, here is the "rough draft" and the pins are just installed in a piece of scrap plastic for this experiment.

image.jpeg.e36eb77be5222352e16b1f845cd79cd1.jpeg

image.jpeg.7cd6471be992fb7b95523230880b008e.jpeg

Steve

Got the engine block/heads/manifold/oil pan/front cover of my halfbreed hot rod filed, mated, assembled, and painted--two light coats white primer, two light coats Model Master Hugger Orange. Got some of the rear suspension worked on, too. 

And found the body of an AMT AWB Mustang I want to work on. After tearing up my workbench (which looks like an auto wrecking yard) looking for it, I found it in the last place I expected--in its own box. Whoda guessed? :lol:

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Still working on some good solutions to working out some hood hinges that either work like real ones, or at least would be removable so that the model can be displayed with the hood open, or closed without having to cut big slots in the firewall for the hinges to retract into.

This is what I am trying out on this project.

The hinges in the AMT '62 Catalina kit are very nicely proportioned and detailed, so I decided to try to incorporate them into the build.

My thought was to add some pins with heads to the underside of the hood, and then add a slotted plate to the hinge so that the hinge could be quickly slid onto the hood.

I ordered some 1/8" x 1/32" disk magnets that can then be added to the base of the hinge and the firewall so that the loose hinges can be slipped onto the hood and then snapped into position on the firewall.

This way they can be very quickly removed for display with the hood closed.

[...]

Huh, I'm amazed any kit has hood hinges.  I made metal hinges, wish I could do pins that wouldn't shear or break.  I'm sure antique watch makers have the knowledge for such things.  I had also recently ordered magnets, they sure can be useful!

Tested my vision, finesse, and patience with these microscopic toggle switches.
IMG_2089_Fotor.jpg.6f8f53da2aeac94ffa3a5590111ef50f.jpg

On 4/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, 89AKurt said:

Huh, I'm amazed any kit has hood hinges.  I made metal hinges, wish I could do pins that wouldn't shear or break.  I'm sure antique watch makers have the knowledge for such things.  I had also recently ordered magnets, they sure can be useful!

Tested my vision, finesse, and patience with these microscopic toggle switches.
IMG_2089_Fotor.jpg.6f8f53da2aeac94ffa3a5590111ef50f.jpg

Stunning!

Got all the suspension mounted on my halfbreed hot rod, and darn near got it up on its wheels for the first time. Wrestling all those fiddly little bits to the ground reminded me of why I build so few "rods" and so many musclecars, especially old crocks with 1-piece chassis. :unsure:

Spent the day polishing these balls:

9F669D73-C2A6-4492-80DB-C8B2475680A5.thumb.jpeg.284deaff9ea2f2a1c1cba5de36eff20e.jpeg

They’re the light globes from a Paddy Wagon - but they’re not quite round and they have a seam that runs around them so I’ve been trying to resolve both issues.  Not sure if I’m any closer after three rounds of filling/priming/sanding than I was when I started ??.

It’s surprisingly difficult to sand something into a perfect sphere!  ?

This is one of those little things that has bothered me from time to time, so while I was in the process of scribing, I thought why not scribe in some window channel grooves in the top?

I thought it might add one of those "not so obvious", but worth while details.

It only took a few minutes, so what the heck. ^_^

image.jpeg.0c717c6ef9883cf5a06b560fc8b9cf05.jpeg

Steve