Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread

I have just gone through a fiasco with eBay as a seller. As mentioned above, eBay now manages your payments when you sell. It makes no difference how the buyer pays. The money goes to eBay.

When the money went to PayPal it would be available as soon as the buyer paid. I would use part of those funds to pay for the shipping of the item.

I recently had 7 items listed for sale on eBay. One sold on July 4th. My funds showed as on hold until Tuesday the 6th. I contacted them via Live Chat Tuesday night asking when the funds would be in my bank account. I was told they would be there on Wednesday between 3am and 6am. They also mentioned they were having glitches with the new payment system. When the funds were not in my account Wednesday by 9am (figuring east coast/west coast time) I called them. I was told that the funds were sent to my bank and it may take between 1 and 3 business days to show up. I received an email stating the same thing a short time later.

They wanted me to ship the item before my payment arrived. I would  not do that. When they told me it may take an addition 1 to 3 days I told the girl I was speaking with that I would probably cancel the transaction as waiting for my money put me past the time I needed to have shipped it to maintain my seller profile.

The money was in my account this morning (7/8). Once I knew it was there I cancelled the order and refunded the money. I removed the other 6 items I had listed. I will no longer sell on eBay.

Here's a good joke too. When you are setting up your "new" seller account eBay sends two payments to you that you need to verify as receiving so they know your bank info is correct. They sent me 1 cent and 9 cents. I verified getting them. The next day eBay took back those funds. I guess giving every seller a dime would have crippled their business.

Edited by DPNM

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I don’t believe PayPal ever asked for a social security number.  They do have my bank account info. Back when I was selling and eBay owned PayPal they made it a requirement that sellers get a PayPal MasterCard. 

No, they did not ask me for SS# either.  I in the past, I was able to keep the money I received from buyers in my PayPal account, but few years ago they changed the rules and now they force me to transfer the money I receive there to my bank account right away.  If I wanted to keep my money with PayPal for more than a day or 2, I would have to treat PayPal as a banking institution, and I would probably have to give them my SS#.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, DPNM said:

They also mentioned they were having glitches with the new payment system.

🤣 Something tells me that is a HUGE understatement.  Sorry you had such a fiasco with them.  I have a "Buy It Now" only sale up now, but I don't think I'll be selling on eBay much longer either.  I'm at the point where I would almost rather part out kits or trade them on here, instead of going thru the eBay hassles. 

When they said they were having glitches I told them that those should have been eliminated before it was implemented. I'm sure it fell on deaf ears.

They have become more and more greedy. They used to charge 10% as the final value fee. It is now 12.55% plus an additional 30 cents for something. That is a big difference.

When you list an item you have the option of adding "or Best Offer". I usually listed Buy it Now items with the price set at about $5.00 more than I would take for it. I did not use the or Best Offer as I knew I could lower the price later. If your item sits for about a week eBay takes it upon themselves to add Best Offer to your listing which they set at half your asking price. I keep an eye on what I am selling and when I see that they have done that I revise my listing to take it off. I've sent them messages that I can manage my own listings and again, it fell on deaf ears.

If your item sits they suggest you lower your price or send a Special Offer to the listings that have watchers. I've told them that if they want me to lower my price they should lower my final value fee. Hmmm, deaf ears.

I've come to realize they do not care how much your item sells for as long as it sells. If your $200 item sells for $10 and you lose your shirt it's fine with them. They make money on the sale. That is why even on the rare occasions that I've listed auction style my starting price is at the minimum I would take for that item.

They should change their name to GreedBay.

Yes, I am disgruntled and fed up. Thank you for letting me vent.

eBay is a big joke anymore. With idiots trying to get 4-5 times what kits are worth, and then you factor in what ebay is now pulling with the sellers, I have their app deleted off my device. I’ve also noticed there seems to be a lot less traffic on eBay as compared to the past. I think they definitely lost customers recently. 

Yup. I told my wife I’ll never sell anything on eBay because of their greedy policies. I’ve noticed a drop in sales and traffic as well. I keep seeing the same old same old kits listings under. “Buy it Now”. Unless there is an option for “Make an Offer”. I never lowball the seller with a counter offer because he needs to make sort of a profit as well. 90% of the time it’s a fair offer. 

Just started reading this topic and it's been very informative for me. I had resisted the urge to buy or sell on eBay for years but would go there and look at stuff all the time. I finally gave in and made my first purchase earlier this year as something I really wanted was only available on eBay. I have since made a couple dozen purchases but have yet to sell anything. I will likely refrain from selling there as the stories here tell me why I shouldn't. I have some kits and stuff that I would like to sell but will probably just do it via a Facebook group or at a local show.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

They're becoming just another idiot-maintained glitchy mess.

The more their 4-th rate emoji-designers-turned-web-developers tinker with the site, the worse it gets.

The more they think it’s getting better the more there messing it up..

I agree, everyone thinks they are entitled to a fortune for a piece of junk. If you look at an item Ebay start sending you emails hyping it up, trying to get you to  jump and buy it. It's  no longer the place where you can find a like minded individual who would appreciate your unwanted niche item and put it to use for reasonable fee, but a system for extracting the maximum amount of cash from people for what is a lot of the time, junk. I'm sorry to hear the troubles sellers have had and it's a shame a useful tool has over developed its model [no pun intended]

Been on Ebay for years, and have had some luck there as both a buyer and a seller. 

I won't be selling anymore though. I'm not providing banking information to any online entity. PayPal tied to a credit card that only ever gets used for this kind of thing is one thing, personal banking info is another.

I haven't tried to buy anything lately, but I think we can still use PayPal to buy.

Ah well. 

I did say I was done selling on feeBay. I do still buy things off there. You can find good deals at times.

I still pay for my items through PayPal as I believe you are still covered with their Buyer Protection. If something goes wrong with a transaction I don't know for sure if eBay offers the same protection. I don't care to find out either.

I ordered a kit a month ago, and it still has no tracking activity for the last 15 days. This is after it wound up being “missent” I understand this is a USPS issue, and not an eBay issue. This has happened several times before, but I’m to the point where I don’t want to order anything from the mail anymore. 

Edited by Brutalform

Just saw this "factory sealed" Gunzie kit on eBay!  Are you kidding me? $75?  Slight damage to the box?  Unopened?  Yeah, it is the only way to keep all the smashed up pieces together.  Frankly, I wouldn't buy it at any price!  Looks like a scam to me! Oh and it is listed as a motorcycle.  Clearly this person is off their meds!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114911865111?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=57ba07453ed94a009ef08a28cc6d863a&bu=43201055203&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20210730072244&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Edited by Pete J.

Buyer beware.  I'd wager the body might be damaged (busted windshield frame), but the rest of it is probably intact.  I've gambled on kits with boxes like that, where I knew the contents didn't take up much of the space in the box.  All of them were intact.  I wouldn't gamble on a flat-box Jo-Han convertible kit though, unless it was dirt cheap...

Not really (well kinda) related but I purchased a resin hood and the shipper shipped it within a couple of days..........but, wonderful USPS desided to give it a cross country tour. I live south of Nashville. It was shipped from Texas to Nashville, then to Massachusetts, then to Connecticut, then to New Jersey, finally back to Nashville and arrived finally 6 days after it was supposed to.

7 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Not really (well kinda) related but I purchased a resin hood and the shipper shipped it within a couple of days..........but, wonderful USPS desided to give it a cross country tour. I live south of Nashville. It was shipped from Texas to Nashville, then to Massachusetts, then to Connecticut, then to New Jersey, finally back to Nashville and arrived finally 6 days after it was supposed to.

I had the same this happen recently.  I am just south of Memphis and it went to Memphis, then to Illinois then back to Memphis before getting to me.  Either  they are sending stuff all over and back or their tracking system is jacked up.....or is it just TN?

A good deal on eBay!  I almost bought one of these Bronco 1/35 scale "Civilian Suitcase & Umbrella Sets" from an overseas seller.  The set is discontinued and very hard to find in the U.S.  I have one but always wanted another.  You just can't have too many 1/35 scale suitcases.  Or umbrellas.  

The open umbrella has a photo-etched interior frame, just like it shows on the boxtop.  

Searching on eBay last night, I found a U.S. vendor selling 5...FIVE!...of these sets in a lot.  "Buy It Now" price of $24.99, or about 5 bucks per set.  Such a deal!  The vendor wasn't a "model person."  I checked their other items for sale, it was a few random model kits but lots of unrelated junk.  

One of those open umbrellas may be used immediately, as a sun-shade for a tank crew in the desert.

umb.jpg